Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skript_kitty

Best Ways to Practice Scripting?

Question

I'm a pretty major newbie when it comes to the world of scripting, but I want to eventually flesh out some complex ideas I have involving weapon mechanics, but at the same time I don't wanna get in over my head and get overwhelmed trying to work on something wayyyy above my skill level.

Is there any good place to start when it comes to practicing scripting/decorate coding? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I'd love some pointers on where to begin with learning Doom coding.

5 answers to this question

So a couple of things I can say from my own experience,

1a. Look at how other people made stuff to get an idea of how it all works.

1b. Reference the ZDoom wiki whenever there's something you don't understand.

1c. Ask for help here/on discord/wherever when you *still* don't understand.

2. Try to make things on your own. Start small and simple, then work things up to become more involved and complex. Get a switch to perform multiple actions, make a conditional check, etc. My first few maps that incorporated scripting used it in a very simple manner; as you get more accustomed to it, you'll naturally start to push the boundaries when you think about things in the way "Okay, so I've managed to do this, now how can I get it to do this as well?" (The same applies to DECORATE code.)

It also wouldn't hurt to take a gander at what all you can do in an ACS script. Leaf through the complete list on the ZDoom wiki and who knows, you might get some ideas.

You can practice implementing simple mechanics, and if you can't think of what to do, you can always ask if somebody needs/wants help with their project. You could make a post, or comment on some of the many discord servers that you can do such and such, and you'd like to get better at it. 

To get better in anything is by doing it a lot. 

thanks for all the answers folks

2 minutes ago, smeghammer said:

I did a bunch of test scripts for learning purposes which might be of help. Have a dig around here:

https://github.com/smeghammer/snippets

Some are not specifically scripty, but some are.

in particular special thanks for this, a lot of these are super interesting, definitely gonna take a look at these later