Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frost-Core

Magier : Zauberer Continuation Idea

Magier :

Hi there, i thought of making a zauberer continuation designed for zdoom, zauberer existed as an pwad then was completley removed, i browsed through old repos and then found a zaub.wad file, i made an IWADINFO file and changed it from PWAD to IWAD, and it worked! in fact here is a screenshot of a map that i made for testing :

Screenshot_Hexen_20220520_154334.png.490c0985eb761c04a6913425efbd9960.png

You can ask for the IWAD in a Doomworld PM, however since that im at this point now i'd like to release it fully sometime and maybe let people fix the currently seen bugs and add textures and wall textures, look, you might be asking : "why more video game clones when you can buy them?" and you totally forget the point about poor people not being able to buy it or it not being available to the country as a hole, Magier is really trying to help people play full hexen game just a little different, however gameplay stays the same.

How to suggest a texture/map :

Step 1 : Take whatever map/texture you want to put in HUGE NOTE : NEVER EVER USE FROM THE ORIGINAL HEXEN

Step 2 : Make a reply to this thread showing it and i may put it TINY NOTE : if a texture name its lump.

Step 3 : Wait for Frost-Core to insert it.

Edited by Frost-Core

8 hours ago, Cire said:

I think it's a great idea! Good luck.

Thanks Cire! sadly i do have licensing issues :

I realized that it had no music whatsoever so i added blasphemers main theme, then i realized blasphemer is not in isc license.

about progress there are working things and not working ones :

What is working :

Mage works fine

Inventory and cheats too

What is NOT Working :

Thing placment shows exclamation marks 

Other Weapons

The Cleric is missing an animation frame

It is needing textures right now, as you can see

Just now, Eggman07 said:

There are only like 10 maps for Hexen why the fuck would anyone want this

preservation of the game, ok so now can you explain why blasphemer exists? also what if hexen was not available for purchase anymore? im just helping the oss community.

and there are more than 10 maps for hexen, just look outside of idgames.

2 minutes ago, Frost-Core said:

ok so now can you explain why blasphemer exists?

Because heretic has more content than hexen ofc blasphemer has proper reason to exist

please name me at least 50 hexen maps that were made in the last 10 years

Just now, Obsidian Plague said:

Because heretic has more content than hexen ofc blasphemer has proper reason to exist

please name me at least 50 hexen maps that were made in the last 10 years

check out H!ZONE, wasn't that made ages ago?

Just now, Frost-Core said:

check out H!ZONE, wasn't that made ages ago?

that's not the point, i mean do you actually see anyone still making hexen maps to this day

Just now, Obsidian Plague said:

that's not the point, i mean do you actually see anyone still making hexen maps to this day

there are some hexen deathmatch servers out there.

Why would anyone PM you for the iwad when it’s freely available here: https://github.com/Voros2/zauberer-iwad

Just fork it and carry on.

The reason Blasphemer is more popular and actually got nearly finished is because:

1: No awful hub system

2: No need to have multiple classes each with their own difficulty in the maps

3: No need to deal with ACS

Just now, Gibbon said:

It uses deutex.  Takes 5 seconds to build it.

yeah but i dont know what the command line arguments are. and also im forking it because it has been inactive

15 minutes ago, Frost-Core said:

yeah but i dont know what the command line arguments are. and also im forking it because it has been inactive

Then perhaps instead of being an Ideas Guy, you start learning what DEUTEX, SLADE, and UDB are and how they work.

You aren't getting anywhere fulfilling your idea's if you don't know what you are doing.

Because the only thing i know you are doing right now is what's in your user title.

Just now, Redneckerz said:

Then perhaps instead of being an Ideas Guy, you start learning what DEUTEX, SLADE, and UDB are and how they work.

You aren't getting anywhere fulfilling your idea's if you don't know what you are doing.

Because the only thing i know you are doing right now is what's in your user title.

Well im working on it.. so far some good progress.

But, i do have a Z_Malloc issue.

On 5/20/2022 at 11:47 AM, Frost-Core said:

Step 1 : Take whatever map/texture you want to put in HUGE NOTE : NEVER EVER USE FROM THE ORIGINAL HEXEN

Step 2 : Make a reply to this thread showing it and i may put it TINY NOTE : if a texture name its lump.

Step 3 : Wait for Frost-Core to insert it.

Sorry but that is the most bass ackwards way of getting community assistance/input that I've seen in some time. Allowing random people to assign random textures to a project when they have no way of seeing how well they mesh with other random people's random textures? You'll end up creating a spiritual successor to LSD Dream Emulator.

Nobody is worried about HeXen "not being available for purchase anymore", because if it comes to that most people will feel justified in sailing the high seas to obtain it. And creating a HeXen-equivalent is not the same thing as preserving HeXen, which is what you are arguing.

8 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Sorry but that is the most bass ackwards way of getting community assistance/input that I've seen in some time. Allowing random people to assign random textures to a project when they have no way of seeing how well they mesh with other random people's random textures? You'll end up creating a spiritual successor to LSD Dream Emulator.

Nobody is worried about HeXen "not being available for purchase anymore", because if it comes to that most people will feel justified in sailing the high seas to obtain it. And creating a HeXen-equivalent is not the same thing as preserving HeXen, which is what you are arguing.

I just realized that you should never ever put maps that are not under BSD/ISC Licenses, also this project helps people that can not buy hexen because it is banned/unheard of. or just help poor people. and also i really think that making an IWAD is really fun and i get to boost my doom knowledge :)

1 hour ago, Frost-Core said:

i really think that making an IWAD is really fun and i get to boost my doom knowledge :)

That's the best reason for doing anything. But realistically, you have to acknowledge that the vast majority of people who wish to buy Hexen, but cannot, are just going to pirate it. And if they haven't heard of Hexen, they aren't going to be looking for a Hexen equivalent. If you enjoy working on it, by all means continue to have fun and expand your knowledge on the way. But this is a pretty cumbersome thing that caters to a very, very small and niche crowd (in all likelihood, probably people who just want to see the new graphics :P). In other words, I wouldn't worry about creating this project to please anyone else. Do it for yourself. There's nothing wrong with that :)

In fact, as an aside I would like to point something out to new mappers/modders in general: people are generally going to be more receptive to the idea of helping you if you're like Frosty here and are working on something for the purpose of enjoyment and learning in general, as opposed to trying to achieve some lofty and ambitious crowd-pleasing goal right off the bat.

Just now, Eggman07 said:

What Mushroom said, pirating Hexen is piss easy.

however, getting to jail is piss easy.

13 hours ago, Frost-Core said:

however, getting to jail is piss easy.

Going to jail for pirating Hexen is actually piss hard.

7 hours ago, RagnarRandom said:

do your thing.

good and thank you! i see cire played this for the first time and did like it.

On 5/22/2022 at 7:58 AM, Eggman07 said:

Hey kids, want to see the WADs in my trunk?

On 5/22/2022 at 6:58 AM, The Almighty Egg said:

Yet it is illegal to do so. Hexen is a copyrighted work, produced for-profit and owned by a corporation. What projects like Freedoom and Blasphemer are trying to do is create a new IWAD with 100% Free (as in Freedom) assets. You can take any sprite or level in either game and do whatever you want with it, as they are licensed permissively under the BSD. This effectively frees you from having to secure a paid copy of Doom or Heretic if you want to play fan made content, or having to worry about any kind of legal restriction in the future.

"Just download the actual game dood!" isn't really a valid argument. Projects like these do so much more than just offering a free game for download.

But after bumping the thread, I was also wondering if any updates have been made for this fork?. I am definitely interested in playing a Free version of Hexen.