Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

How often do you use the automap?

I was looking at something related to automaps here and realized that I don't use the automap in any Doom or Doom-related game much, if at all. And so I wondered how often anybody here uses it and searched it to make sure there wasn't a similar post, which there were none that I could find. So, out of curiosity, how often do you use the automap? 

I can get away with not using it in episodes 1-3 of Doom and Doom 2 since I know them like the back of my hand.

For everything else (final doom, doom 64, custom maps, hell, even some of my own maps) I use it liberally. Gotta find as many secrets as I can, ya dig?

Sometimes after clearing a map I found enjoyable, I might use automap to look over the layout, just to reminisce. The other exception is when I'm completely lost. In general, I don't use the automap too much either. But I think it's a good feature to have.

I use it whenever I find a keycard in a map that in't from the IWADs. 'nuff said.

5 minutes ago, Anonymous Space Marine said:

But I think it's a good feature to have.

I agree, it's always a good feature to have whether or not someone uses it. Map-like features always have a purpose in games that benefit from it.

I rarely ever bring the automap to check out the map itself, but I'll bring it out every now and then to check out the kill count. Especially after I'm done with a big fight, just to see how many enemies died and how much is left.

I open the automap all the time except if I'm already very familiar with the map. I can't live without an overlay-style automap (no background).

I like to use the automap and mark important pickups or other interesting places. I even recolored the AMMNUM digits used for the marks to cyan so they're easier to distinguish. Pretty useless with the default dark gray. It can come in handy but it's mostly force of habit at this point. 

Interesting, I have often wondered how much they are used. I use the automap rarely. It surprises me how little. The most common use for me is actually looking at the map name or secret hunting once I have all kills.

Having said this I am not at the point where I am playing large sprawling maps yet. As I cannot see areas on the map until I have already been there it does not help much for small and straightforward maps.

never bc I DOWNT NEE DAT

unless im trying to find a facking secret thats in some corner that you would never see or something like that

I usually start a map by doing a 360° turn a the start position and then looking at the automap if the starting area isn't a tiny closed room.

I always make good use of the automap! It's an incredibly useful tool that should be utilized. I even use M to mark positions of supplies/power-ups that I might not need at the moment and can come back to later if need be.

I usually only use it when I try to find a secret and get lost in the map, and/or the map has a beautiful layout.

4 minutes ago, Piper Maru said:

I even use M to mark positions of supplies/power-ups that I might not need at the moment and can come back to later if need be.

Finally, I found a person that uses the mark position feature!

Generally how I use the automap is to check the locations of locked doors and/or switches that require keys.

One of my favorite things about GZDoom is how it shows those on the automap with the respective color codes. I wish more source ports had that feature.

I really just use it only when i have the computer area map or when playing one of doom's worst levels : e2m9

Edited by Frost-Core

When I have to, that is usually when I go secret hunting as I'm far too smoothbrain to count 2 and 2 together.

Quite frequently. It's useful to figure out the route to the next locked door, check out the blockmap with grid, and mark the powerup that I don't need right now.

Automap is also useful for me as a level designer, by marking closed doors and some of switches with ceiling-height-difference linedefs, and erasing other unnecessary ceiling linedefs. I don't know why, but cleaning the automap is also quite satisfying.

I used to open it way more, then I got a kill/secret counter on the hud and open it half as much.  I also don't need to wait for messages to scroll off the screen to read that info.  it's life changing.

If I’m not sure where to go, I’ll open the map, see an unexplored portion, and off I go. On big maps I’ll use the mark feature for health and ammo pick ups I didn’t need at the time, cool to see others here doing the same.

Prior to extended HUD - at least once per map, since that was the way to check stats without exiting, and more or less the only way to confirm all kills on a map with Viles.

Generally, I check it whenever I feel the need to orient myself. I prefer textured automap to speed up recalling areas, especially on massive maps which are hard to memorize on the go.

If I'm standing by the exit and I'm missing stuff, I'm very likely going to use automap to look for places to go. If the map is sufficiently large or hard to havigate, I'm also likely to idclip through the level towards points of interest with the map open - "let's just pretend there was a backtracking teleporter".

I'm more into combat than secret-hunting, so I show secret sectors in purple on the map (plus the different color for visited secrets) and use map for hints.

Having a special color for "exit level" linedefs also helps not having to save/rewind accidental walkover exits.

Occasionally I look at the map around obvious ambushes for would-be closets that map maker may have left as two-sided linedefs on the map.

I used to overrely on the automap in unfamiliar maps, using it every time I was about to enter a new area to get a feel for it. That was a very unexciting way to play, so now, I only use it in larger maps where I am not sure about where to go next or when I'm secret hunting.

I hardly ever use it honestly, unless I get super lost or hunting secrets. I have good visual memory of locations in maps, so I don't rely on it to "find where that door was" type of thing.

It's strange I use it all the time playing Doom but somehow never really miss it playing Quake. If level designs well done its mostly for secret finding though.