Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MajorRawne

Aubrey Hodges' Final Doom music in Alien Resurrection

Ha ha! I've FINALLY found something nobody else has ever mentioned!!!

I watched Alien Resurrection the other night and about six minutes in, I nearly fell off my chair. Not at how terrible it is compared to Aliens, nor what a masterpiece it is compared to Alien 3, but because I heard some Playstation Doom music in it! Would you like to know more?

Approximately six minutes in, when Ripley is examining her number 8 tattoo, you clearly hear part of PSX Doom's "The Catwalk" track playing. This is the most terrifying track in all of Final Doom, but for some reason they use only a brief moment of it.

Then, another part of The Catwalk plays much later in the film, although I forgot to write this down, so it could be anywhere. Yes, Hodges scrounged and edited samples from various sound libraries just as Bobby Prince did - maybe his legendary Coke can wasn't as cruicial as he made out - but this is extremely cool. 

And you don't have to suffer through this film to hear it! Jump to 1 minute in - this is the tattoo scene music.

I'd try to find the other clip myself, but unfortunately am desperate for a poo.

57 minutes ago, MajorRawne said:

but for some reason they use only a brief moment of it.

That reason being plausible deniability, if that is indeed a sample from the PSX Final Doom soundtrack and not just a freaky coincidence.

Sounds like a case of using the same sample library to me.

5 hours ago, Koko Ricky said:

Most of those samples were recorded by Hodges himself. 

Wrong, Hodges claimed to record them himself, but they were actually from sound libraries he found them in. @jdagenet is an expert and can fill you in on that.

1 hour ago, Koko Ricky said:

Pretty sure it's both. 

The samples came from CD’s, Aubrey just used them. I’m honestly not sure which ones he made himself since about 95% of the samples he used for soundtracks across the three games (PSX Doom, PSX Final Doom, and Doom 64) have been found and their original source has been located. I’ve even found source locations for most of the samples in the Quake 64 OST too.

That same sample of guitar feedback is the basis of this Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown track as well:

That specific sample in question was designed by the legendary Eric Persing and is featured in his sample CD Distorted Reality 1. In fact all the samples in the PSX Final Doom OST minus a couple of the string sounds all came from that CD. There is one pad sample that Aubrey uses in all four games that was designed by Persing but it’s not on a sample CD.