Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnny Cruelty

Opinions in the Megawad A.L.T.?

(Note I am putting this in the subforum of wad discussion, IDK my post got removed last time, anyways here is my question)

My favorite Megawad is "A.L.T." (also know as Albsolute Life Transformation)

it's a wad where you start off in a plane survive a crash and make your way towards cities and weird landscapes

it's very surreal and cool IMO

what's YOUR opinion in it?

It's inmersive but really weird, and some levels after level 15 are really too long or don't make great use of gameplay variety

what the astronomically sized F*** have i just played... like i love the feel you get from playing this... i don't know Uh... "RAAM'S SHADOW" DLC for Gears of War 3 is the best at this in my head, but this wad kinda changes it out to be your all on your own, no help, your "doom 2"ed... get it because the doom 2 wad is needed... doomed... it's cool, and also the lighting is all i need to know so now i can have better looking maps it looks SO GOOD RIGHT NOW... in my head at least... man i'm glad i played this

9 minutes ago, dededenova said:

what the astronomically sized F*** have i just played... like i love the feel you get from playing this... i don't know Uh... "RAAM'S SHADOW" DLC for Gears of War 3 is the best at this in my head, but this wad kinda changes it out to be your all on your own, no help, your "doom 2"ed... get it because the doom 2 wad is needed... doomed... it's cool, and also the lighting is all i need to know so now i can have better looking maps it looks SO GOOD RIGHT NOW... in my head at least... man i'm glad i played this

yeah it's one of my favorite wads

that and Going Down

and to think people disliked this when it came out

28 minutes ago, D4NUK1 said:

It's inmersive but really weird, and some levels after level 15 are really too long or don't make great use of gameplay variety

yeah I heard the guy who made the first 15 left for some reason and other dudes filled in for him

36 minutes ago, Johnny Cruelty said:

yeah I heard the guy who made the first 15 left for some reason and other dudes filled in for him

i just got an idea... make a fraction a map... and some one else does a different fraction of the map until it's done... so 3 people make 3rd's of the map and then boom neat map with plenty of idea's! boat load of unique none tired people finishing maps in DAYS this could be the next brake though... okay i'm'Uh start a topic some where else and make a team,

33 minutes ago, dededenova said:

i just got an idea... make a fraction a map... and some one else does a different fraction of the map until it's done... so 3 people make 3rd's of the map and then boom neat map with plenty of idea's! boat load of unique none tired people finishing maps in DAYS this could be the next brake though... okay i'm'Uh start a topic some where else and make a team,

Simpsons did it!

58 minutes ago, Dub Bag said:

Simpsons did it!

... what...? i did just start watching the Simpsons... but... like i started from S7E... like the one where Lesa is is a vegan for the rest of the series... and there is anything but a human BBQ... and then i saw the 3-D one... idfk why my family agreed to start there but whatever...

I enjoyed the most of it, but it's certainly very unorthodox in certain ways. One map in particular (I can't remember which) I got lost for a really long time. Not what I typically look for in a wad, but worth the experience, I'd say.

Just now, maxmanium said:

I enjoyed the most of it, but it's certainly very unorthodox in certain ways. One map in particular (I can't remember which) I got lost for a really long time. Not what I typically look for in a wad, but worth the experience, I'd say.

it is very unique and it's my favorite wad

The only aspect of it I don't like is that in many levels, they disguised important parts of the automap. Maybe that was done to increase suspense and make it less predictable how a map is supposed to work, but in the final map at the latest this becomes super annoying when you have to find your way through that large skull maze. Other than that, the whole megawad is really atmospheric and can be recommended to anybody.

1 hour ago, dededenova said:

... what...? i did just start watching the Simpsons... but... like i started from S7E... like the one where Lesa is is a vegan for the rest of the series... and there is anything but a human BBQ... and then i saw the 3-D one... idfk why my family agreed to start there but whatever...

you just havent gotten to the episode where Homer makes a WAD then goes to Hell and fights demons yet.

One of my favourite megawads, even if some things are a bit annoying - like sound replacements, some annoying mazes and puzzles. It inspired to pick mapping of my own. Music, sad yet lonely atmosphere, some realism sprinkled there and here - it works well to execute story. 

Not played that for years... my impressions were that it was weird, highly detailed, BIG!, not 'Doomy' but yet very compelling. I remember I kept coming back to it. 

May have to dust it off.

15 hours ago, Dub Bag said:

you just havent gotten to the episode where Homer makes a WAD then goes to Hell and fights demons yet.

ahh i'll take a look at that one when i "get 2 it"

I actually happen to be in the middle of a playthrough of A.L.T. and whoooooo boy is this wad a weird one! I'm only on map20 yet the level of bizarre confusion I've gotten from the earlier levels has cemented this wad for me as an experience that I won't be forgetting anytime soon. The amount of serious confused looks that spread across my face while playing it is staggering, and I love it. 

13 minutes ago, StarSpun5000 said:

I actually happen to be in the middle of a playthrough of A.L.T. and whoooooo boy is this wad a weird one! I'm only on map20 yet the level of bizarre confusion I've gotten from the earlier levels has cemented this wad for me as an experience that I won't be forgetting anytime soon. The amount of serious confused looks that spread across my face while playing it is staggering, and I love it. 

that is why it's my favorite

and I haven't even finished it

it always has something to perplex me

it's like if you combined a dream, LSD and Xavier Renegade angel into a doom wad

I just happened to have played this wad in its entirety for the first time just very recently, alongside other such wads like Sacrament. 

It's quite a unique wad shaping a world entirely of its own with alot to tell. 

I tried it recently  played about 5 maps.

The weird, creepy atmosphere - mainly due to the sound effects and distorted buildings - but after a while the unclear progression and chaotic lay out got frustrating, and, far worse, boring, and I gave up.

On 5/23/2022 at 9:39 AM, NightFright said:

The only aspect of it I don't like is that in many levels, they disguised important parts of the automap. Maybe that was done to increase suspense and make it less predictable how a map is supposed to work, but in the final map at the latest this becomes super annoying when you have to find your way through that large skull maze. Other than that, the whole megawad is really atmospheric and can be recommended to anybody.

In the final map, the player eventually moves into the artifact itself outside of time and space, so there is no autocard. Finishing the game, returning to the place of his start already dead. But the artifact allows you to start a loop of travel over and over again with the same result.

Too abstract for my liking. Gameplay leaves a lot to be desired too. Visual storytelling has always been secondary for me, while combat always comes first. If I'm not having fun kicking demons' asses, then I probably won't enjoy the mapset.

11 hours ago, Firedust said:

Too abstract for my liking. Gameplay leaves a lot to be desired too. Visual storytelling has always been secondary for me, while combat always comes first. If I'm not having fun kicking demons' asses, then I probably won't enjoy the mapset.

The potential volume of the core of the game allows you to implement various concepts. From research mazes to slaughter extras.
Therefore, there are groups of users who prefer different types of gameplay.
This is a completely normal practice and your tastes deserve respect.