Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Luzifer

Secret areas and environment destruction

dsm:

I was thinking of the window thing happening only three or four times in the game. I agree with what you said though. It would kinda get annoying. Yeah, you're right, this is doom, we want to blast the shit out of everything and not worry too much about consequences.

Dubh said:

Yeah, you're right, this is doom, we want to blast the shit out of everything and not worry too much about consequences.

...Except for barrels and the like :-)

Alientank said:

Shaviro was right, that would be so fucking gay and annoying. Do you want to have to shoot every zombie then always bend over them and shoot them in the head? Boring IMO and tedious.

Ah, but you forget, there's not gonna be a plethora of zombies, they can't put 19 zombies on one screen.
Spelling^

I want some heavy environment-player interaction. Remember with Metroid Prime, rain and guts splatter on Samus' helmet visor. I'd love to see that in doom. Demon blood spattered on your helmet, martian dust, steam from pipes or whatever -- maybe a scripted thing where the marine uses his arm to wipe it off, but still, that'd rock.

Vulg@r said:

Remember with Metroid Prime, rain and guts splatter on Samus' helmet visor. I'd love to see that in doom. Demon blood spattered on your helmet, martian dust, steam from pipes or whatever -- maybe a scripted thing where the marine uses his arm to wipe it off, but still, that'd rock.

Hmm, I doubt that the blood splatter on the helmet would be implemented - Carmack would regard it as a visual gimmick I'm afraid.

But who knows?

Ah, but you forget, there's not gonna be a plethora of zombies, they can't put 19 zombies on one screen.

There'll be enough for it to be bothersome. The bootleg video seemed to show a steady flow of zombies - each time you entered a new area, there were new enemies to fight, often in small groups. And zombies were used quite a lot.

Nah, I wouldn't want that shit about headshots being extra efficient on Zombies - that's exactly one thing that makes gameplay a little more complex, because you want to bring them down quickly and thus you aim for the head, which is harder than just aiming at the body.

I prefer the good ol' simple style in Doom 3. Besides, zombies getting back up at you is the whole damn thrill about them - what good would that do if you can just cap them in the head and make them stay down that way? Nah, I'd rather have it so that explosive weapons can gib them, preventing them from getting up again like that. Remember:
"Thou canst not kill that which doth not live...
...but you can blast it into chunky kibbles"

Shoot 'em enough times and the bodies will become too ruined for them to be able to get back up again, gib them with a rocket and there's nothing to help them get back up again.

dsm said:

There'll be enough for it to be bothersome. The bootleg video seemed to show a steady flow of zombies - each time you entered a new area, there were new enemies to fight, often in small groups. And zombies were used quite a lot.

Nah, I wouldn't want that shit about headshots being extra efficient on Zombies - that's exactly one thing that makes gameplay a little more complex, because you want to bring them down quickly and thus you aim for the head, which is harder than just aiming at the body.

I prefer the good ol' simple style in Doom 3. Besides, zombies getting back up at you is the whole damn thrill about them - what good would that do if you can just cap them in the head and make them stay down that way? Nah, I'd rather have it so that explosive weapons can gib them, preventing them from getting up again like that. Remember:
"Thou canst not kill that which doth not live...
...but you can blast it into chunky kibbles"

Shoot 'em enough times and the bodies will become too ruined for them to be able to get back up again, gib them with a rocket and there's nothing to help them get back up again.

Fair enough

dsm said:

Nah, I'd rather have it so that explosive weapons can gib them, preventing them from getting up again like that.

lol.. it would be cool.. seeying a headless zombie with 1 arm and no leggs (after you rocket launched them) trying to get up and realising it doesnt has any legss. and then just crawls towards you still trying to do any damage. leaving a trail of blood behind

HAMMER-STROKE said:

lol.. it would be cool.. seeying a headless zombie with 1 arm and no leggs (after you rocket launched them) trying to get up and realising it doesnt has any legss. and then just crawls towards you still trying to do any damage. leaving a trail of blood behind

Rofl, that would be friggin' hilarious.

HAMMER-STROKE said:

See you in HELL, CANDY BOYS! *Throws pop rocks in soda can*

I like the idea of guts and blood splattering your visor...
Imagine that you blow a zombie's head with a shotgun blast, brains and fluid would fly all over the place, and your visor is covered in blood, and somehow you'll have to clean it. (maybe a clean visor button, or a default action)

The zombies sometimes getting up again sounds a lot like those sword carrying zombies in the Diablo 2 expansion.

Alboroto said:

Imagine that you blow a zombie's head with a shotgun blast, brains and fluid would fly all over the place, and your visor is covered in blood, and somehow you'll have to clean it. (maybe a clean visor button, or a default action)

That would add control buttons to the list of key controls - I can say for sure that id don't want that. But yeah, it *could* be neat to have blood splattering on the visor now that I think about it.

If it was included, it should be so that it is wiped off automatically or something.

The zombies sometimes getting up again sounds a lot like those sword carrying zombies in the Diablo 2 expansion.

You mean Resident Evil right?

dsm said:

You mean Resident Evil right?

No, he meant the Reanmiated Hoards from LOD.

ravage said:

No, he meant the Reanmiated Hoards from LOD.

I know, I own Diablo 2: LoD - it was just an attempt at coming up with a more interesting way of saying:
"More like Resident Evil"
Zombies getting back up has been used in games before LoD and the most notable (that I know of) is Resident Evil.

Ok, confession: I haven't tried the first RE game - but I recently got to play RE 2 and it has zombies that get back up. I couldn't help thinking: "Doom 3" while playing the game because of all those cute zombies falling to the ground with funny sounds before slowly getting back up again.

Well, I haven't played any of the Resident Evil games, so I don't know what any of those monsters are like.

Ichor said:

Well, I haven't played any of the Resident Evil games, so I don't know what any of those monsters are like.

The zombies seem to be pretty much like Doom 3's. They moan (albeit they make funny moaning sounds whereas Doom's make hoarse snarling sounds), the shamble towards you, they can take a quite an amount of bullets and they get back up at you every time you down them until you've downed them for the 3rd or 4th time.

Oh yeah, and they hang out in small crowds just like they typically do in D3.

I'm not sure how old it is but in Nightmare Creatures the zombies will keep gettin up unless u take their heads off with somethin or blow them up, somethin to that effect. But if u run away they won't get up till u come back.

Alboroto said:

Good ideas for a possible patch. If ID will not include this features maybe someone else will do it.