Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnny Cruelty

What was your first megawad, other than doom 2, Plutonia or TNT

Mine was Plutonia 2, I saw decino playing it and decided to challenge myself and see if I could finish it on plain UV before he finished his UV-fast uploads (I was successful).

Two and Three which I picked on my own were Scythe and Alien Vendetta, figured I would want to play the oldie-but-goodies before getting into the modern ones, I was afraid they wouldn't hold up if I played them later. FWIW, I think they hold up really well even if you play them after the modern stuff.

It was either an early version of BTSX E1 (099f), before they added the graphic for the main menu, or Alien Vendetta. I downloaded and played a bunch of stuff all at once around that time so the order blurs together a bit, but all those wads are still very memorable because they were the start of a whole new hobby and obsession. I knew I was hooked when I saw empty space underneath the bridge in map 01 of BTSX, I'm like "How'd they do that?!"

started playing PWADS when the 2017 cacowards came out. So i started with Sunlust on UV, and got pretty frustrated  when my skills were sub-par to say the least. So I went back to the 2016 caco's to find a full Megawad. So Ancient Aliens for my first fully completed one then. 

2048 units of /vr/ - the one that made me notice there is such a thing as a doom mapping scene.

And I just couldn't stop after that... The one that seriously changed my taste is Slaughterfest 2012.

• First non-official Doom engine wad: Freedoom Phase 2 (I think it was 0.8 or so) - this was the first wad I played after Doom 1 and Doom 2, even before Plutonia/TNT. It was, at this time, still incomplete.
  • First Doom PWADs: Phobos Anomaly Reborn (a Doom 1 episode replacement with plenty of vanilla tricks) and Helpyourselfish. I started PAR earlier but didn't finish it initially, so Helpyourselfish is probably the first PWAD I finished, although it is only one map (but a pretty big one).
  • First full megawad: Alien Vendetta

Thanks to the unity port, the first custom wad I have ever played is Sigil, but my first megawad is BTSX E1 (followed by E2 right after of course).

10 hours ago, MFG38 said:

I believe mine was Demonfear.

Oh wow, same! I played it and Scythe (I heard the small design was similar) back to back in the same weekend, I loved it! Demonfear's levels are so tight, I'll always love that wad. For 1999, the combat and texturing really holds up well. 

6 hours ago, Spineapple tea said:

Something about map 09(?)'s space textures and night sky in software rendering is deeply nostalgic to me.

There's a beautiful serenity in it for some reason. I definitely agree.

6 hours ago, Dynamo said:

I believe the first megawad I downloaded on my own was NDCP. I have immense nostalgia for it as a result, but I am almost certain I played Memento Mori 1 some time before, from some disc though, not from the internet. The Invasion for Doom 1 is also among the earliest I played, and the nostalgia is strong there too.

New Doom is really cool. It and Community Chest are kinda wired together in my brain, since I played New Doom CP right after replaying Community Chest for another time. It's got all those lovely 2000s tropes, I love it. 

I'm pretty confident it was either Hacx (not sure if that one counts) or Memento Mori many years ago.  I also recall playing Alien Vendetta and Demonfear very early on as well.

I don't remember. I was not aware of the community on the nineties, so my first custom wad probably came from Skulltag. Projects like Void, Action Doom and other early ZDoom mapsets was also part of it.

The Lost Episodes of Doom since it was sold in a store with the book (I had no internet at the time).   Then MM, MM2 and Eternal Doom from a shovelware disc.

First megawad when I finally had internet was probably Icarus then Realms of Chaos.

I think it might have been Equinox, if 13 maps counts as a megaWAD. 

Strangely enough, my first megawad outside of the IWADs was Extermination Day.  I don't usually play total conversion mods anymore, but when I was first discovering the Doom modding scene, I was intrigued by Project Brutality and wanted to give it a go with a mappack designed for it.  Of course that was meant for Brutal Doom and not PB, but I still had a good time, especially with how you can dash-jump through the levels.

Amusingly I played Doom 1, 2, TNT, and then E-Day before I got to Plutonia.  After that I've stuck with more vanilla mappacks and only occasionally dabble in more drastic changes.

The Ultimate Torment and Torture. Boy was the first map stupidly difficult playing with only a keyboard. But ZDoom mouselook pissed me off there so there was no choice. I think I might have played New Doom Community Project around the same time

my first time *chuckls*... sorry uhh... was something that was named something close to... REKKOR or something... it's on the switch version if it helps...

That'd be so long ago that I can't even remember what that'd be, probably something random on ZDaemon or Skulltag in the 2000s.

If the old Ghostbusters TC counts for anything, in spite of being unfinished, that really blew me away as a kid because I loved the hell out of the movies and the cartoon.

17 hours ago, Vrhrlv said:

2048 units of /vr/ - the one that made me notice there is such a thing as a doom mapping scene.

And I just couldn't stop after that...

Great to hear we made such an impact on someone.

Alien Vendetta. 

Loved it. Lots of great, crunchy tech base action in the middle. Later, Dark Dome blew my mind. Think it's a great first megawad.

Probably Alien Vendetta. I remember thinking that it must be a co-op focused wad because of the monster counts. So little I knew back then...

The first megawad that I played? Plutonia 2.

The first megawad in which I completed more than one map? Eviternity. Eviternity was the perfect WAD to introduce me to the world of PWADs. It even has some introductory-level slaughter fights, despite being a pretty approachable wad ovearall!

Community Chest 3, I decided the best way to get into doom maps was to play the top 100 most memorable doom maps in order, but of course I needed to play the whole megawad to get that continuous play experience. I finished CC3 then gave up on that endeavour.