Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fodders

Columbia lost

Q: Why didn't the crew of the Space Shuttle Columbia take a shower before the flight?
A: Because they knew they'd eventually be washing up on the shore.

When I first saw the thread I thought some canadian sports team (or Colombia, the spelling mistake isn't uncommon) had lost in a championship or something, though it struck me that fodders was posting... he usually doesn't post about sports.

Q: Why didn't the crew of the Space Shuttle Columbia take a shower before the flight?
A: Because they knew they'd eventually be washing up on the shore.

That's just plain sick and very wrong.

dsm said:

People die all the time - it may sound cynical, but if I were to offer condolences every time a person dies on this wretched world (not to mention in this wretched solar system!), I'd be in for a full-time, 20-hour-per-day job.

At the very least - I migth even have to forget about sleeping to make it.

Anyway, it sucks when people die, I'm sure these seven astronauts were all mighty fine people.

Damn right!

Boy there sure are some twerps posting in this thread :P

There is some sadness at the loss of life. But that's not completely it. There is some shock at what has happened. People can hardly believe it. It's almost surreal. That's not really it either.

The predominant emotion is one of deep and profound disappointment. With all the bad stuff going on in the world today like the prospect of war, terrorism, the AIDS pandemic etc, the space program is like a shining bit of hope that someday maybe humanity can rise above all this. Hope that perhaps mankind does have a future. A good future.

When something like this happens it dashes that hope. It's like our future has been set back.

Get it?

darknation said:

If it had been a Mongolian Space Shuttle everyone would laugh.

If it had been Mongolian I would have laughed even if it had touched down sucessfully. It would be like:

"This morning the Mongolian shuttle Samarkand II touched down in Ulaan Batar without incident, in other news..."

And I'd be like: "AHAHAHA...Mongolians space shutle...ahahaha... *snort*... eheheheh ... eh...Mongolians...aha. Yeah."

Anyway, yeah.

Like Seph said, we do have a pretty good track record compared to the Russians, but that just doesnt matter. Like that old saying goes:

"They're pretty much strapping our men onto a multi-billion dollar firecracker and sending them to hell. Those astronauts are either crazy, or heros. Proabably both."

God bless them.

that's bull. I don't get this whole "HOW CAN THIS OF HAPPENED GNOO!!!!" crap.

You fire men into space in a glorified tin can.

And you wonder how they can possibly die.

Wake up America, you are not invincible, technology is still at the point where we can bearly make a hairpiece that doesn't get big laughs, and yet you are content to fire men and monkeys into the stratosphere sitting on enough explosive to fire a meaty chunk out of a mountain, ferry shit about in space and perform pinpoint operations and landings.

It's a miracle it ever happens at all, yet it's all "I DON'T UNDERSTANDZOR!"

If you truly don't understand, then you never ever will.

stphrz said:

Get it?

You can't drive semi-religious science fiction into another person's mind forcefully. But if it gives you a reason to be, good for you.

myk said:

You can't drive semi-religious science fiction into another person's mind forcefully. But if it gives you a reason to be, good for you.

Nothing religious about it. As Arioch pointed out the space program has presented many new technologies that have done much to improve peoples lives. And I was just trying to explain why something like this can upset some people. Of course someone as jaded and cool as you (darknation too) is immune to events such as this.

But by all means, continue to troll.

darknation said:

..tripe..

We're all aware that the space program IS dangerous and NOT perfect. What makes us in awe is the rarity of a space disaster. Much like plane accidents, the less frequent the accidents are, the more we realize how much faith we put in our machines, and how vulnerable they still are.

Please, a little more respect for those who put themselves in those positions of great danger. I would feel the same about any nation's space accident.

My condolences to those Astronauts.

stphrz said:

Of course someone as jaded and cool as you (darknation too) is immune to events such as this.

stphrz, you should know that I'm anything but "cool" about anything.

But this whole invurnriculture that you guys have going on there is laughable and dangerous. I saw one guy (on a fairly retarded forum, might of been 8-bit theatre) blame fucking Bin Laden. Obviously we can't be at fault, we're God.

I see this every day in the media and all over the net, and frankly I'm sick of the self important jizz that us capitalist pigs froth all over ourselves. Tell the third world that 7 guys in a can got stirfried this morning in america doing something that was stupididly dangerous in the first place. Tell the starving about how important this is.

On a global scale, this is a fart in a jacuzzi.

EDIT: And how come it's always Fodders who is the first to post news like this?

darknation said:

EDIT: And how come it's always Fodders who is the first to post news like this?

I guess he hangs around the new places a lot. :D

Or he has a secret link to the news companies. :D
Secret Agent Fods :D

DOOM Anomaly said:

I guess he hangs around the new places a lot. :D

Or he has a secret link to the news companies. :D
Secret Agent Fods :D

Inspector Fodders: Go go gadget news sniffer!

Heh, that'd be funny. :)

darknation said:

poor me

Fart in a jacuzi or not, it doesn't make "Us American capitolist pigs" bad people for mourning for those lost in a tragic accident. Obviously 7 deaths are trivial in the grand scheme of things, but it's still a tragedy.

Again, please, this is not the time for immature capaitalist bashing.

here is what went through my head when I learned of this:

AUDIO INPUT: VOICE ID ('MOM'): Son, we just lost Columbia.

PROCESSING KEYWORD ('Columbia')
LIKELIHOOD THAT IS IS THE COUNTRY IN SOUTH AMERICA: .08%
LIKELIHOOD THAT IT IS THE SPACE SHUTTLE: 99.91%
OTHER: .01%

VISUAL INPUT: TELEVISION: APPARENT WRECKAGE OR DAMAGED PROJECTILE IN THE SKY OVER TEXAS

CONCLUSION: THE SPACE SHUTTLE COLUMBIA HAS BEEN CRITICALLY DAMAGED IN AN ACCIDENT?

<LOADING CRISIS CALCULATION PROGRM:>

EVENT: DESTROYED SPACE SHUTTLE: COLUMBIA
QUERY: TERRORISTS?
ANSWER: NO, TERROR AGENTS WOULD BE UNABLE TO REACH THE SHUTTLE

QUERY: SABOTAGE?
ANSWER: NO, ASTRONAUTS ARE HIGHTLY SCREENED AND TRAINED. BETRAYAL IS ONLY .001% LIKELY

QUERY: MECHANICAL MALFUNCTION?
ANSWER: MOST LIKELY. COLOMBIA IS VERY OLD, AND WOULD BE PRONE TO FAILURE EVENTUALLY, REGARDLESS OF OVERHAULS GIVEN TO IT.

FOCUS: PILOTS
PILOTS: 7
NATIONALITY: MOSTLY AMERICANS 1 ISREALI
STRAY THOUGHT: COOL, AN ISRAELI IN SPACE!
ANY CELEBRITIES..... NO
ANY FRIENDS/RELATIVES...... NO

AFFECT ON PROBABILITY OF NATURE OF ACCIDENT: 1%

CONCLUSION: THE PILOTS ARE LIKELY DEAD, SADLY. THIS DOES NOT AFFECT ME. CARRY ON WITH LIFE. IGNORE NAYSAYERS AND PEOPLE WITH CONSPIRACY THEORIES.

<END OF PROGRAM>

THROUGHT STRING 56/KK2: WHAT'S FOR BREAKFAST?

And so on.

DOOM Anomaly said:

heh.. Come with me if you want to live. :D

Thats the Terminator, mongpot.

elbryan42 said:

That's just plain sick and very wrong.

why are abortion clinics popular with fishermen?

free bait by the bucket.

what is the deffernce between a truck load of bowling balls and a truck load of dead babies?

you get to use pitchforks on the babies

well yea i agree it was a sick joke.

Whats more sick than a dead baby?

A pile of dead babies.

Whats worse than that?

One is still alive.

Whats worse than that?

Its at the bottom.

Whats worse than that?

It ate its way out. :P

The Space Station guys have to come home in an escape pod, now that's gotta be cool. :P
Feels like Red Dwarf :P

But it was done in a humerous manner, and that's what counts.

Fodders said:

The Space Station guys have to come home in an escape pod, now that's gotta be cool. :P
Feels like Red Dwarf :P

Heh...jeez. So why are they evacuating the station?

darknation said:

On a global scale, this is a fart in a jacuzzi.

Well put, my condelences to the 7 who lost their lives...

fodders said:

Shuttle flights will be grounded, you want to leave them poor guys up there? :)

well, they'll have more space covered... :D