Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dyshoria

Something in a wad that scared you.

Is there something in a wad that scared you for no reason. I'll start. In one map of uac military nightmare there is a level called crackheads forest. The only monster is a picture of a distorted wall eyed man. That freaked me out for some reason. What has freaked you out in wads

The only time I've been scared of Doom was when I was really little (maybe like 5-7 years old). I was playing the Titan's Manor level from the Master Levels set, and after dying so many times and restarting the level, I basically had an existential crisis lol. I was like, "I'm dying in the game, but what happens if I actually die? I don't want to die!" I started crying and my parents were like "Calm down, it's just a computer game, you're not going to die."

That messed me up for a while.

"Sinister" (E2M6) can still get to me from time to time. As an adult it's always the music. As a kid, I couldn't get past the Waste Tunnel's because faintly illuminated Cacodemons was horrifying. :')

Well I wouldn't say for no reason.  Never.wad by tei tenga.  Cacodemons.  They're a bit... different.  And uh, scary as hell.  Let's just say they could use a trip to the dentist.

Wow, I had a horrible scare playing Moonblood MAP32: Archives: Iron Keep (brilliant WAD btw). There is a section with two cyberdemons, which is fine, but their walking noises were out of sync. On my first playthrough it sounded like a single cyberdemon that was running and it completely freaked me out.

1 hour ago, Marisa the Magician said:

I gotta say, the first time I played dead.wire I was on the edge of my seat at all times. The music definitely did its job, too.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Dead.air quite the same, but i was playing Dead.air instead of dead.wire as don't know it that was a sequel.

Also i scared myself with Mouse and Cat in Doom 64. Like really afraid of playing that specific level.

Back when I first played Doom 2, I was scared of Pain Elementals when I first encountered them in Map 9.  It wasn't about how they kept spawning Lost Souls, but more of their appearance.  I can't really describe what it is, but when I first saw them, something about their design came off as extremely unsettling.  That fear only lasted for that one map, and afterwards there wasn't much of an issue.  I still hated dealing with them due to gameplay reasons, but now I know how they work and how to exploit them.

I didn't feel this way with Doom 64's Pain Elemental design, even though that one probably should be more disturbing with its 2 mouths.  I was intrigued by what I was looking at, but didn't feel any kind of fear.

7 minutes ago, FEZ_GG said:

Back when I first played Doom 2, I was scared of Pain Elementals when I first encountered them in Map 9.  It wasn't about how they kept spawning Lost Souls, but more of their appearance.  I can't really describe what it is, but when I first saw them, something about their design came off as extremely unsettling.  That fear only lasted for that one map, and afterwards there wasn't much of an issue.  I still hated dealing with them due to gameplay reasons, but now I know how they work and how to exploit them.

I didn't feel this way with Doom 64's Pain Elemental design, even though that one probably should be more disturbing with its 2 mouths.  I was intrigued by what I was looking at, but didn't feel any kind of fear.

Clearly it sounds like it must've been the single, big red eye of the Pain Elemental looking straight at you.

If not, then maybe it's the weird body proportions, It really is one of the more abstract designs in Doom compared to the stock minotaur or goat.

The only other monster that has a similar effect, at least to me personally were the Archviles. Tall, fast, hitscan magic, and worst yet interestingly of all they're the only other monster that have human-sounding laughs. The other monster just happens to also be the Pain Elemental when it's hurt, which I actually found unsettling myself.

1994 Tune Up Project's map 26

First time playing it chilled me how the atmosphere changed before your very eyes as the town became dark and hellish

15 hours ago, Dyshoria software said:

something in a wad that scared you. 

image.png.95e69974d9c1ec0bde705d35a9c9062b.png

And..

Spoiler

image.png.e2523b6c3d5a71442ad61954561b446c.png

I'm still traumatised to this day. 

Edited by OniriA

E2M6 was the scariest Doom map IMO. Doesn't seem so bad now because we all know the layout, but first time playing it........whoaa get me outta here.

Picking through a WAD with SLADE many years ago and clicking on a file with name that piqued my curiosity, and when I did I was greeted with the scary face from the exorcist movie in high-def .png quality! Oaaah!

Edited by SuperCupcakeTactics

Imma be real w/ all of you, the skybox of the early maps in TNT Revilution startled me when I realized what the hell was in the sky. I can't believe of all things it was the skybox that startled me when I was on map 5 and turned around.

There was a wad a while back, maybe 2014 or 2015 and I think it was for zdoom.  There was a long, windy corridor made with the flesh textures ending in a small room with a flesh pit and an archie comes up out of it, not instantly but faster than normal, and it came up in such a way that it woke up on the way up and I nearly fell out of my chair as the rest of the map was real quiet like.  Haven't seen that map again and I don't remember what it was.  

Meeting the Cacodemons when I first played SNES Doom E3M1. Anyway I pistoled them both to death.

That Creeper from The Ghoul's Forest 3. You cannot even time that little *^&%&^.

one of the Epsidoe II levels of PSX DooM, it was a series of long pitch black hallways with just the sound of demons echoing in the distance. It was genuinely unsettling both in its design and execution.

Also Countrycide from the Trenchfoot devs. One of the most terror inducing Doom mods I have ever played   

I'd definitely say Kama Sutra's MAP30 is the scariest thing I've ever seen in a Doom map. That's one hell of a frightening view.

The first time I played a slaughter wad without knowing what a slaughter wad was.

I saw the monster count.

16 hours ago, Xyzzy01 said:

When I made my first Hexen format map, I had no idea the BEHAVIOR lump was vital in keeping the whole thing from imploding on itself. Thus, when I loaded it in Doom Builder 2 in the wrong format, it didn't take that lump into account and so it looked like this:
taUPVnE.png

Imagine the fear set in by seeing this on startup instead of all your hard work made in the past few days for seemingly no reason!

That's pretty much what happened to me when I didn't notice I have the file open in Eureka and opened it again in Slade. Now I know not to do that but I still feel the urge to keep backups and backups of backups.

edit: "backups" or "backs-up"? 🤔

I don't know if "scared" is the right word but lilith.pk3 made me feel intensely unsettled.

Many, many years ago, I was obsessed with data corruption art. Circuit-bending, noise music, datamoshing, and glitch-art. Here's some of my """art"""

Spoiler

ycENIkF.jpg

r1AtygW.png

aC7cfw7.png

So, lilith reminded me of those days. The fascination of a corrupted file that's just corrupt enough (or in such a way) to still function. When the metadata and all the essentials are there, but the content is all jumbled up. That leaves me in awe. And lilith.pk3 is that but you are actually there. I never felt so immersed while playing Doom before or since. The wad will always have a place in my heart.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/unloved

Unloved is a fantastic wad. I recommend playing it before reading why it scares me.

Spoiler

It focuses on something I have experientially found to be true, that hell isn't a place, but a state of mind. Whether they originate due to guilt, anxiety, exhaustion or foreign substances, other any other cause, the hellish recesses of the imagination can manifest on the walls of one's house in the sanctity of their room. This is exactly how Unloved played out for me. I think I'll finally finish the wad sometime soon. 

I'll go from scariest to least scary:
1. The Creeper from Ghoul's Forest 3 (his movement and jumpscare)
2. The Revenant jumpscare in Unloved's hub
3. The episode 1 skybox from TNTR (the giant skull staring at the player)
4. The brown spider from Void (the section where the player shrinks their body)

There's also a wad I played that featured a spider-human-skull hybrid monster, the wad had really cool aesthetics but I don't remember it's name.