Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ViolentBeetle

[Ultimate Doom, complevel 3] Solar Struggle Community Project: Release thread. [Now on IDGAMES]

On 7/12/2022 at 5:57 AM, kvothesixstring said:

Played the first 2 Episodes today on stream and really enjoyed it overall. I will admit to being really bad at finding secrets that don't fall in my lap. Other than that, I had a really nice time playing continuously. I know it was balanced for pistol starts but honestly I just wanted to have a relaxing evening playing doom. I succeeded and the mappers succeeded as well. I don't normally enjoy UD wads as I tend to miss the SSG and monster variety pretty quickly. Fortunately, I only had a few moments of sarcastically saying how happy I was to shotgun barons. Again this may be tied to my blindspot for secrets, I am sure caches of rockets were a plenty if I could just open my eyes and find them. 

Here's the link to the Twitch VOD if you are interested. 

Loved your play though, I laughed at multiple points.

Returned to this series, playing the idgames release.  The lunar facilities continue to impress me, always so much variety in theme and setpieces, and always a great flow to each level.  Almost to the 4th episode now :)

Seems like my upload made it through. If you feel like playing E4M1, make sure you got the right version. You'll know the version is right if .txt file lists author as "Community project, led by ViolentBeetle" instead of "Various" which seemed a little vague anyway.

19 hours ago, sandwedge said:

Returned to this series, playing the idgames release.  The lunar facilities continue to impress me, always so much variety in theme and setpieces, and always a great flow to each level.  Almost to the 4th episode now :)

Love this thumbnail!

Just finished E1M3, and I really like what I've played so far! Admittedly, I don't really see the space theme yet, but the level design is really solid so far. I could see this getting a cacoward!

I've been trying to replay with my spare time... The soulsphere secret in E1M7, it's still possible to get stuck if you are on the lift when it goes up. But how come I remember this being fixed?

1 minute ago, RHhe82 said:

I've been trying to replay with my spare time... The soulsphere secret in E1M7, it's still possible to get stuck if you are on the lift when it goes up. But how come I remember this being fixed?

Well we just can't have nice things, can we?

The Eastern side lowers it permanently. The others still do it like a lift. That's a pretty serious bug and I'll update it, I'll wait for a bit to not constantly upload and re-upload, in case of maybe some other stuff.

Hello,

following an invitation to do so, we're going to play the first 2 episodes of the wad for this week's Thursday Night Survival and of course would like to return the invitation to everyone here.

As usual, the session starts at 19:00 BST/14:00 EDT and should be active for a good few hours.

2 hours ago, spottydog10 said:

I've been getting an error after finishing level 6. I'm using GZDoom 4.7, any ideas? Thanks

doomerror.png

I'm not sure where legacy builds for gzDoom are, but on the newest I don't get anything like this.

12 hours ago, spottydog10 said:

I've been getting an error after finishing level 6. I'm using GZDoom 4.7, any ideas? Thanks

doomerror.png

I am also using GZDoom 4.7.1 and it runs fine, I did notice however, in your window name that you are running Solar Struggle with Doom 2 and not the Ultimate Doom (Doom 1) which might be causing this issue?  

51 minutes ago, Jark said:

I am also using GZDoom 4.7.1 and it runs fine, I did notice however, in your window name that you are running Solar Struggle with Doom 2 and not the Ultimate Doom (Doom 1) which might be causing this issue?  

That would be it, although I don't understand how it translates into this kind of error.

Thanks chaps, yes that was the issue, if I run Ultimate Doom I can get to level 7.
It wont load my saved games that I've played already (nothing in the slots) looks like I'll have to blast through those levels again.

Just now, spottydog10 said:

Thanks chaps, yes that was the issue, if I run Ultimate Doom I can get to level 7.
It wont load my saved games that I've played already (nothing in the slots) looks like I'll have to blast through those levels again.

Maps are balanced for pistol start, so you can just cheat.

40 minutes ago, spottydog10 said:

Cheat? How!! 

Just type IDCLEV17 after you start a new game or use console and type MAP E1M7 - (ZDoom/GZDoom ports).
You can jump to any map, really, just choose your difficulty and then just skip to a level with one of those options.

IDCLEV is a cheat to jump to a chosen map and 17 in this case is a "map name" - E1M7. So for example map E2M5 would be IDCLEV25.

Similar with the console MAP is a command and E1M7 is map name so map E2M5 would be MAP E2M5 in console.

If you ever need to use this in Doom2, the process is very similar. IDCLEV and map name 01-32.
For example map8 would be IDCLEV08 , map17 would be IDCLEV17 etc.

For console command map8 would be MAP MAP08 , map17 would be MAP MAP17

Hope this helps.

I've just finished my playthrough of the first episode. I was really surprised I managed to get all the secrets, considering I usually struggle with this. On the same note, what the hell was the last secret on E1M5? It looked and played like a secret level by itself (felt like a kid again wandering through pitch black doom corridors), but it was weird nonetheless.

The level design and pacing is very fun. Maps looks gorgeous, and I can't get enough of mowing rows of shotgunners and imps, I've missed Ultimate Doom, hah.

I can't wait to play the other episodes as well. Thanks for the effort put into this.

I have found 2 small issues that I would like to point out: in E1M2, in the bathroom leading to the chaingun secret, this little trash can has some clipping.

Also, in E1M3, near the end, the platform with the pinkies did not raise. I killed the pinkies from down there, and then I fell in the hole. Could not get out, so I used idclip.

Port is DSDA doom, latest version.

Spoiler

1024524724_Screenshot2022-07-25120107.png.4ec0f3406773510eb9c3ff34ab1bc1ee.png

Spoiler

1668906821_Screenshot2022-07-25113111.png.b010500dbb098ca2fc31b6ca6414e497.png

4 minutes ago, fuzzytrick said:

I've just finished my playthrough of the first episode. I was really surprised I managed to get all the secrets, considering I usually struggle with this. On the same note, what the hell was the last secret on E1M5? It looked and played like a secret level by itself (felt like a kid again wandering through pitch black doom corridors), but it was weird nonetheless.

The level design and pacing is very fun. Maps looks gorgeous, and I can't get enough of mowing rows of shotgunners and imps, I've missed Ultimate Doom, hah.

I can't wait to play the other episodes as well. Thanks for the effort put into this.

I have found 2 small issues that I would like to point out: in E1M2, in the bathroom leading to the chaingun secret, this little trash can has some clipping.

Also, in E1M3, near the end, the platform with the pinkies did not raise. I killed the pinkies from down there, and then I fell in the hole. Could not get out, so I used idclip.

Port is DSDA doom, latest version.

Reveal hidden contents

1024524724_Screenshot2022-07-25120107.png.4ec0f3406773510eb9c3ff34ab1bc1ee.png

Reveal hidden contents

1668906821_Screenshot2022-07-25113111.png.b010500dbb098ca2fc31b6ca6414e497.png

Skipping lines unfortunately happen sometimes, there's no surefire way to prevent it. Slime trails also occur sometimes and can't always be easily solved.

I just finished the first episode. This was really cool so far. I loved the music in this megawad. Lots of primo Doomcute too. I could imagine this being ported to the official Unity port, if that's possible for this megawad.

Venus is an awesome episode!  Forgot to post the last one here so here's the end of Ep 3 and the first half of Ep 4.

I just finished the entire megawad. Man, what a wild ride it was. I'm really impressed with the outdoor lunar landscape and the weird Venus settings from Episode 3 and 4 respectively.

@sandwedge I just finished watching your playthrough of my level. I appreciate your honesty and overall just taking the time to not only go through the whole WAD but also record it and provide commentary as well.

If I may indulge, can I ask you to try it on HMP or lower and let me know your thoughts?

There is a valuable lesson to learn from E4M6 on UV, lmao. I'm loving it.

Unlike all the other troll maps I've seen, this one is entirely people bamboozling themselves.

Posted this elsewhere but might as well post it here now.  I thought this was a pretty awesome end to an impressive megawad!  Especially the idea of operating a huge space tether in one level, then descending down to the final battle on an asteroid, that was actually a lot cooler than I expected.  Awesome work everybody, definitely going to be one of my favourite wads and experiences this year!

Hey @SMG_Man glad you enjoyed the video!  I tried to be constructive with my thoughts, other than the cyberdemon trigger I thought the level was great!  I don't really replay levels to retest different difficulties sorry, but I'm sure someone else who plays more HMP can help.  However I'm not sure that would really address any of the issues I had, since it has to do with the cyber trigger, not the overall difficulty.

@ViolentBeetle I see how it could look like that, but I would strongly consider changing something about it.  If a lot of people are getting confused the same way, it's probably an issue with the level, not the players.  Triggers from bosses are only really going to work in a confined area where you obviously have to kill them, whereas here you have a huge level with many different paths meaning its easy to think you're missing something.  You see tons of yellow bars and one switch lowers a yellow key bar texture, and I was trying to figure out what that did (apparently nothing until the cybers die).  It didn't occur to me that a cyber would trigger anything, and trying to track down randomly teleporting cybers with only a rocket launcher seemed more annoying than just finding what else to do.  After a while I suppose I would've killed them out of sheer boredom, but that's not really what you want either.  Thankfully a clippy playthrough showed me, though it also seemed confusing to him.

Edited by sandwedge

2 hours ago, sandwedge said:

However I'm not sure that would really address any of the issues I had, since it has to do with the cyber trigger, not the overall difficulty.

so about that,

Spoiler

The level is rigged to play entirely differently on the lower difficulties. It's intended to be a bit more straightforward on HMP and below; the cyber hunt is reserved for UV (which I guess is most people's default difficulty lol)

Hey @sandwedge , I really enjoyed your videos! Seems to be you enjoyed my maps (The paranoid one and the one with a font secret that a Caco helps you to find), so all is good xD

Edited by RataUnderground

Hi, not sure if this has been reported before but i found some weird graphical glitches  (Hall of mirrors?) on map e1m3 while playing on WOOF.

I am running the wad on complevel 3. You will find the screenshots and the save file on the spot below.

woof0001.png.583a56e35505c6bf4f711ad1c0450cc7.pngwoof0000.png.7417648e33ed9f633bd611525957050c.png

Regards

woofsav1.zip

Edited by Garlichead