Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Doom vs Half Life, which is a better FPS?

Pick your pick  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your pick

• Doom
    • Half Life
    • Neither =p
    • Spam!

I have never played half life, or even saw very much of it.
so I would have to say doom, but because I never played the other choice, me voting wouldn't make the poll accurate.

*votes anyway*

Eye-opening? Like the Cacodemon's eye? Is this poll necessary?

They're both completely different (not to mention really good) but DooM beats everything, so DooM gets my vote.

What I'd like to see is some more Half-Life inspired DooM levels (other than the ones I've made), as they can be really good if they're done right (like mine).

Hey Ichor, nive avatar. Looks like your blood lich got caught smoking.(fire) :P Either that, or lost in a sea of blood. :)

myk: Doom is the first game that really got everyone into FPS craze; Half Life is claimed as the best FPS ever in certain reviews. They both great in their own ways, imo. Despite the graphics/storyline issues. It may be unfair asking this on Doomworld, but just be objective and honest about the fact of how you feel towards either one.

ichor: nice avatar btw

No, it's fire. I wondered if people could tell since I used that fiery wall texture (the one where you see Korax) from Hexen. They're roughly the same color.

DOOM Anomaly said:

I've never played, heard, seen, touched, smelled, tasted, or anything to do with Half-Life. :D

Not missing much. Basicly rip off Doom's story, add some horrible music, and short, skimpy levels that all look the same. Oh yeah, the monsters are weak and the game is way too easy.

Use3D said:

Not missing much. Basicly rip off Doom's story, add some horrible music, and short, skimpy levels that all look the same. Oh yeah, the monsters are weak and the game is way too easy.

... uh ...

Half-Life was a great game with a fun signle player (went through it about three times before getting bored). DM sucked ass, but it has some great mods. But still, its not nearly as good as Doom. Doom has a certain aspect of nostalgia for me, and Doom 1 single player is classic. Also, its about 100x easier to make a good, detailed level in Doom than in Half-Life. I will say that Half-Life is possibly the one game with a community to rival the Doom one, but still, we're closer-knit and the game is so simple to modify.

Doom wins.

SP: Doom > Half life...quite simply put half life fucking blowed...YAWN YAWn...too much hype over an overly innovative yet dull game...

MP: Half life > Doom or anything else ID came out with...quite simply put, counter strike is the best and only multiplayer game you should care about in the fps genre. Its too fucking good and way too fucking addictive...

Did I just contradict myself?

Doom came out first, so it wins on virtue of originality. :P No Doom then no HL. No HL, no Counterstrike. It's a vicious cycle. Heh.

doomedout said:

quite simply put, counter strike is the best and only multiplayer game you should care about in the fps genre. Its too fucking good and way too fucking addictive...

I hope you're not talking about playing CS over the internet.

the_Danarchist said:

I hope you're not talking about playing CS over the internet.

Heh. /me shakes head with disdain as I make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich

doomedout said:

MP: Half life > Doom or anything else ID came out with...quite simply put, counter strike is the best and only multiplayer game you should care about in the fps genre. Its too fucking good and way too fucking addictive...

Did I just contradict myself?

uh. CS is not halflife. Just like Skulltag isn't doom.

Use3D said:

O_o

Are you sure you're talking about Half Life? It's story is nothing like doom's, the map design I think is pretty much the best SINCE Doom, I had no problems with the music, infact I liked it. The only thing I didn't like was that the there weren't enough monsters to keep me busy, they usually were in groups you ran into every minute or so.

Half-life was an ok game, but it's way overrated imo. It's slow and repetetive, did I mention that it is slow? HL mods like CS are fun for a while, but nothing that can keep my attention for more than an hour per week. Doom has the most entertaining DM and SP gameplay and wins hands down.

Let's see...

...DOOMworld
...small cult-like community
...9 year old game...

hmmm... I wonder who's going to win?

I absolutely love doom, but Half Life is a great game. I had more fun playing Half Life than I did DooM.

However, I've plyed doom longer, because once I played through HL... I already knew everything. PLus HL seems to be a running joke... how long have they been trying to sell people a like what, 6 year old game?

Better Game... Half Life probably, But that won't stop me from playing/living DooM.

Oh piss. It's not a fair comparison. Doom has greater atmosphere and character. It also has more creative community, IMO. The community has created far more creative mods for Doom than the HL community has for it's respective game. And yes, it's sad that they keep trying to sell the game. The should just leave well enough alone. Yes, on a sheerly objective level, HL clearly has better graphics. But again, it's not a straight comparison. Though Doom does have a wider variety of more colorful textures. In turn, you have a broader scope for map making as well.

Be fair...weigh the aesthetics of the games, not the tech-fucking-nology. And if it WAS a battle of aesthetics, the Doom guy (Flynn or whatever his name is) would rip Gordon a new one.

Vulg@r said:

And yes, it's sad that they keep trying to sell the game. The should just leave well enough alone.

Let's see. Doom, Doom 2, the Ultimate Doom, Doom Master Levels, Final Doom, Doom (as part of Id Anthology), Doom Collector's Edition ... 10000 D!Zone retail map packs, HacX ... Sega Doom, SNES Doom, Doom 64, Saturn Doom, 3DO Doom, PSX Doom, PSX Doom 2, Jaguar Doom, PSX Final Doom, GBA Doom, GBA Doom 2 ... Heretic, Hexen, Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, H!Zone

I don't see why they should stop selling it, at all.

Arioch said:

Let's see. Doom, Doom 2, the Ultimate Doom, Doom Master Levels, Final Doom, Doom (as part of Id Anthology), Doom Collector's Edition ... 10000 D!Zone retail map packs, HacX ... Sega Doom, SNES Doom, Doom 64, Saturn Doom, 3DO Doom, PSX Doom, PSX Doom 2, Jaguar Doom, PSX Final Doom, GBA Doom, GBA Doom 2 ... Heretic, Hexen, Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, H!Zone

I wasn't talking about the ports of the game or anything like that. I'm talking about the incessant marketing and sales of the game...as if they're in some ceasless wetdream where HL seems perpetually new to hapless buyers. At least when PC Doom, Doom 2, Ultimate Doom and Final Doom became old, to some degree, it was harder to find. Valve keeps pumping out copies of HL as if hapless schmoes can't get enough. Also, you can't lump Doom 2, Ultimate Doom and Final Doom together with Doom 1 because they're all like sequals, in essence. They all got their appropriate shelf time and moved on. HL just lingers on the shelves like stink on crap. If/when they make a sequal for HL, I can only fathom how many decades it'd take for that game to leave the shelves. That was part of the point I was trying to communicate.

In your initial statement it wasn't clear that you meant Half-life, it seemed like you were talking about DOOM.

Arioch said:

You forgot the Lost Doom Episodes.