Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vominus

English Origins

Hell-o Doomworld folk, I need your help.

My English teacher has posed a challenge that entails a fat reward.

He wants us to find out exactly how many languages are used in the English language.

I've used the EBSCO search database, I've torn through Google, I've consulted the reference people at my local library, but all to no avail.

If anyone here can point me to a site or publication that contains this information, I would be eternally grateful. I need a credible a source such as an online publication, scholarly journal, periodical, etc.

Thanks.

-Vom

Did you try typing history of the english language into google? It sure seems to point to a number of apparently useful links.

As much as I'd like to pretend I'm smart and tell you the correct answers without making a reference, I won't. I'll just tell you what I know now.

I believe we have Latin, Greek, French, a bit of Russian, some Native American, Celtic, Norwegian, English (British-style or whatever), Spanish, Portuguese, and a fuckload of others implemented into the "English slanguage" that we use today. Which reminds me, we've also implemented the native language of "fat ass on the couch who only watches sports games his body can no longer even think about playing anymore...and who eats pork rinds by the peck".

I sure am critical today.

well depends on region. but i would guess these.

main players: latin, french, german spanish, celtic.

minor players: many native american worlds, russian, other slavic or germanic languages, maybe some asian words, arabic, hebrew, various african tribal words and many more.

other: adopted names. example the word jumbo was the name of an elephant and it was not named for its size, the elephant was very large and thus jumbo began to be used as a size. other words find their way in, other change meaning(like gay)

so really u got your work cut out for you

Vominus said:

He wants us to find out exactly how many languages are used in the English language.

Note that this question is too vague, what do you mean? Used as vocabulary, or which languages have the most influence on its grammar?

If it's about grammar mostly (which makes more sense as a question) the english language has it's origin in the early britons inhabiting the island, which were celtic peoples. Those were colonized by the romans (but the effect of latin back then must have been small) and then invaded by a number of nordic tribes (Angles, saxons... I suppose this is when Beowulf was composed...? Old English) Then finally the Normans (almost 1000 years ago, frankish culture, if I'm not mistaken) invaded Great Britain, and there's when Chaucer wrote his stuff, which basically defines the true beginning of English (rounding out late medieval english.) Chaucer* took a lot from contemporary french and from ancient and medieval latin authors. After that the language didn't change much (you could say Shakespeare tweaked it a bit, but it's basically the same framework Chaucer worked on.)

I'm just writing from memory, so you should look somewhere where these matters are treated... unless you are definitely looking for something else.

* Most if not all european languages had their "founding" authors, Chaucer in England, the writer of the Cid in spain, Dante in Italy, the writer of the Song of Roland in France, etc. that had a great part in defining the labguages, with works that were profusely read and copied in great quantities.

I remember seeing Old English before, and it was extremly close to German. I also know that the list Vulg@r put down is more or less accurate. I do know, however, that English is a Germanic language with a few other heavy influences.

Yeah, that must be the "anglo-saxon" base of the language.

myk said:

Yeah, that must be the "anglo-saxon" base of the language.

Yup, from the same family tree that brought us such fun Germanic tribes as the Vandals, Visigoths, and the Ostrogoths. Of course this wasn't the same branch as the ones that settled on the British Isle after Roman troops left it to defend Italy from the raids of Vandals. The ones who settled in the British Isle were the Angles, Saxons and the Jutes -- as well as the Franks.

I know for a fact that a lot of out 'th' words such as 'they', 'their', 'the', and such are all Scandinavian in origin. Can't say much about the rest of the history. I forget much of what I learned in Enlish Lit and we really didn't learn much about the historical construction of the language. (I use big words when I'm tired) :P

This might to turn out to be one of those trick question things. My teachers loved those.

Like the answer is one: English, or something retarded.

Thats a tough question, mabye a little too vauge. It wont be enough to go into the Jutes, Anglos, Saxons, Germanic TRibes and Scandinavians, because English has Changed a lot since the Early 500s. Tons of everyday expression liek "Yo" come from extremely exotic places. I doubt anyone has found a perfect number.

There are even American words making it into the English language now, words such as jail (gaol) aluminum (aluminium) etc, sigh...pedophile (paedophile) the list is endless, and don't get me started on the missing U's :P

Those are just alternate spellings, not new words... and aluminum, is that for real? It looks stupid. I usually like using "ae" where it applies (i.e., encyclopaedia.)

Read and say the word "bank" a lot. If you do, it'll probably sound really dumb within five minutes or less. You even may feel that it sounds like a dumb sound from a cartoon show or something.

Vulg@r said:

Read and say the word "bank" a lot. If you do, it'll probably sound really dumb within five minutes or less. You even may feel that it sounds like a dumb sound from a cartoon show or something.

Among sounds wierd no matter how many times you say it. Until too.