Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

What Remains | Now on idgames!

0/10 because I had to wait for it.

Edit: After playing it, actually pretty darn good.

Edited by Tarnsman

After a long, hard, excrutiating, 4 days of actual midi work, it is finally done. Jesus fucking christ I'm sticking to 2 minute midis.

Nice graffiti ;)

Looks fun, gonna give this a shot.

I've only just reached Tit Tech on HNTR, but have been blown away by yet another banger squonker. There's a thread between the maps that goes beyond mere graphical consistency, that makes them feel way more interconnected than something produced by multiple authors should; and yet each author's voice is very clear throughout. @Skronkidonk's voice, for example, is that of an evil, evil little man.

I'm struggling to put into words how much I adore that opening map, though, @Egg Boy. It's compact, yet gives the player a tonne of space to move around; it's wide open, but there's just enough cover from hitscanners; and the whole thing is tied together with a freewheeling DM-style flow where you're using the terrain to zip between aggressors. Fucking. Gorgeous.

36 minutes ago, kwc said:

Nice graffiti ;)

Looks fun, gonna give this a shot.

oh my mistake, I forgot to credit you for the tony hawk rip, I'll be sure to put it in the next update.

Np, it's from Streets of Rage 4 btw.

Got a few levels deep into this, it's been a lot of fun so far and has teeth in UV :)
@Bobby "J that midi is stunning btw.

Another release, awesome! I played the first map and I'm looking forward to checking out the rest... and the other maps you all have made that I still haven't gotten around to!

Spoiler

I like the "hard mode" switch, it's cool that I'm not immediately sure whether it's beneficial to take the plasma rifle and face extra monsters because of it.

I actually didn't notice the hard mode switch until my third playthrough. Why was I playing through the map three times, you ask? Well, it turns out that on my first playthrough something broke and one of the "hard mode" arch-viles didn't teleport into the room where they're blown up by barrels, so at the end I was left with one monster remaining, an arch-vile that I could hear but not reach. Unfortunately I wasn't recording a demo and wasn't able to reproduce it either, but I thought I'd mention this anyway in case anyone else is able to figure out what happened.

7 hours ago, Bobby "J said:

After a long, hard, excrutiating, 4 days of actual midi work, it is finally done. Jesus fucking christ I'm sticking to 2 minute midis.

maybe next time you should not VIBE so much to GOOD MUSIC

Wait, did you not just release another mapset a couple of months ago or so? Were you working on those projects at the same time for a while now or are you really on fire these days?

Great levels - gorgeous, challenging, fun, and short and sweet enough that you can finish it during a lunch break. It feels like the speedmapped younger brother to BTSX Ep1. MAP05 is definitely the crown jewel of this neat little set. Extremely tidy, not a moment is wasted. 5/5

I launched this up in Chocolate Doom and the first level was really nice, but any time I try loading level 2 I get the error "R_TextureNumForName: WR_45 Not Found"

4 minutes ago, Wilster_Wonkels said:

I launched this up in Chocolate Doom and the first level was really nice, but any time I try loading level 2 I get the error "R_TextureNumForName: WR_45 Not Found"

my apologies, try redownloading it now, should be functional.

21 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

my apologies, try redownloading it now, should be functional.

I downloaded the new version and it's not a wad file anymore, it's a dbs file and I cant load it at all

1 minute ago, Wilster_Wonkels said:

I downloaded the new version and it's not a wad file anymore, it's a dbs file and I cant load it at all

I honestly cannot believe I did that lmfao, okay the updated wad should be there now. Again, sorry.

6 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

I honestly cannot believe I did that lmfao, okay the updated wad should be there now. Again, sorry.

it's all good. The new version works, gonna play through these now, and like I said the first level was really good so I'm looking forward to the rest

Pushing an update that fixes the stimpack bug in map02, and adds an M_DOOM and status bar, both graciously provided to us by @uber

It goes without saying that this is another big jewel from you guys, thoroughly sweet and spicy and funtastic. Some assorted thoughts from earlier yesterday:

Spoiler

Map01: Immediately recognized the mapper's flair and that was a plus for me. Favorite fight was possibly the fight on the water pool, and the soulsphere secret too - I love secrets that can be seen from another angle or tease an area you visit later. When I finnished the map and noticed my cell stock wasn't used at all, I had to replay it. That was after arousing every wall because what if Egg Boy pulled a BTSX E2M1 BK, but no I just didn't see the special thing the first time!. Loved seeing the bootleg ship back and later finnishing the set on it!

Map02: The trick to not get instantly shot by the cheeky placed sergeant at the start is to aim your first bullet elsewhere, then tap-shoot him to death (he may retaliate nonetheless, so kick him in the nuts). Anyways, the ending part became a highlight by accident, as the pinkies teleported with the SMM alive, who miraculously evaded paralysis until it couldn't anymore, leaving three pinkies for me. I know that's not how it's supposed to go but don't worry, that just happens on my end :x

Map03: I really liked the transition to the cave, darkened textures seem underused to me and they appear to be a great source to avoid inflating the line/sector count, so I need to keep them in mind. RK setup was my standout.

Map04: Just good brutal stuff and midtex magic. I'll be damned that I missed the lighthouse :( 

Map05: Oh yes, the AD_79 closure map. Clever, resourceful, it looped several times, excellent secret path, and the finale caught me once as more archviles kept appearing in the most inconvenient times, then nearly died a second time when danger was already over, damn cacos were hiding on the ceiling.

Now observations:

Spoiler

- Minor misalignment here in map 01

- There was a block line in the plasma gun secret, which I figured as the HK and viles didn't get in the cubicle to corner me. Not sure if intentional but it sort of clashes with the "hard mode" sign :p

- In map 02, I noticed these stimpacks were floating, although it didn't mean they became inaccessible, not at all but it's visually goofy.

- It took me several attempts to land on the vest secret, which was just a little obnoxious as that sort of "lengthened" the map. I might suggest placing a 1u-wide ledge or something similar?

- In map 03, may I suggest moving this box somewhere else? shells were plentiful so it's more about it being in the way. The same would go to the boxes on the lift in the final part but in reality I would just cut to one box because two was a surplus.

- I found this HK got itself enclosed here, not sure if that's a concern or not but poor dumb boy.

2 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

- There was a block line in the plasma gun secret, which I figured as the HK and viles didn't get in the cubicle to corner me. Not sure if intentional but it sort of clashes with the "hard mode" sign :p

no way around that, unfortunately, if monsters get stuck back there, 100% kills could be impossible.

Following up Pagodia with this, you guys are absolutely spoiling me with great vanilla content. This was a great ride; maybe a more-conventional one than the aforementioned, but no lesser for it.

The screenshots are absolutely gorgeous! I will be playing it on the next week