Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dregs

How many levels have you made that you don't want to ever release?

Is this personal?

We all make mistakes, but I want to know how many levels have you made that you can't bare show to anyone. Bonus points if you still have the file because you can't find it in yourself to delete it.

For me I've deleted several maps that i have 'finished', and only one is lucky to remain on my disk.

I have no idea how many maps I’ve made over the last twelve years, but I’ve only ever released four so far. It’s less that I can’t bear to show them to people, and more that there’s no point to: they were maps I made for me and that’s it. They weren’t good haha. But, they taught me how to make better maps, so now I’m at a point where I feel I can start releasing stuff.

I have the opposite problem: I have a bunch of maps that I'd like to release but they aren't finished yet. 

A load, but I actually have a habit of releasing those that are not *entirely* garbage as free assets anyone can pillage without crediting. 

17 levels that I made since 2015 for various projects that I ended up not happy with them. They're each in a different state, some are untextured, some lack gameplay mechanics, some are just missing a couple of areas from being complete and some I just became frustrated with. They just rest in a folder labelled "unreleased" in my Doom folder.

I've got plenty of maps and mods that I don't ever plan on releasing. Either because they just are not up the quality I think is deemed "good to go for release", it's something I find myself never being happy with the end results no matter what how long I work on it, or people will think they are too controversial and probably not in good taste to see the public light.

So far I have at least four different maps that are either unfinished, or not up to my quality standards. I'll probably never release any of those; however those maps are quite old, so it's not like any of them would be fun to play.

got a bunch of crap on my backlog i wanna release someday as like a grabbag of wads.

everything i dont wanna show is never finished and its just kind of a bunch of sectors that dont lead anywhere, eventually gets deleted.

i did do a bunch of garbage i later delete to amuse myself but then again in that case i hesitate to call it a level, more like a set of rooms and experiments.

Maybe about 10 or so unreleased maps mainly from my early days and a few rejects from Bella after I accidentally deleted the original resource wad. Also some maps from the unreleased Community Trunk project with a backup plan to release them standalone if the project dies. I have completed most maps I have created.

8 hours ago, dregs said:

I want to know how many levels have you made that you can't bare show to anyone. Bonus points if you still have the file because you can't find it in yourself to delete it.

How many of the levels I've made that I never showed anyone? How about "all of them"? :P

I think I mentioned in another "old shame" thread that I made an expanded version of the entirety of Doom II maps some time back in 1996. They're still here, I even started replaying them after digging them out again and posting in that other thread. They're probably not even that awful but I don't think I could stand to show them to anyone, and I certainly would never upload them (besides, they are modified IWAD maps, which is frowned upon quite hard around here). My lack of confidence in them was enough that I never tried seriously mapping since. But of course I could never bring myself to delete them, and I even made sure to have a backup on another data drive just in case the main one crashes. No matter the quality, I'd be heartbroken if I lost them forever, they're still a time capsule of who I was, and in some ways I haven't changed that much, it'd be like ripping out and denying a part of who I am.

There was one fairly ambitious project I was working on for a few days but wouldn't want to release. Doesn't really matter though since the files are lost, but one screenshot does remain. On the contrary though, there was a map for Community Trunk I lost the files to after about a month or so of work and only one "demo" exists of it anymore. I wish I had remembered to keep that one when switching pc's.

Little teenage Jimmy, who was at the time infatuated with plot-driven wads like Massmouth and Super Sonic Doom, made a great many attempts at the same sort of maps himself. Honestly I think a lot of those are lost to time anyway, but rest assured if I still had any evidence they ever existed, they'd be distressingly cringeworthy.

1 map.

My first ever one...

Accidentally deleted it so I couldn't work on it at all.

It was a small cave map with about 11 kills.

At the time I didn't know about UDB's door creator.

And all of the doors were wide open at first.

EDIT: And a bunch of test wads.

And also a OBLIGE map I cleaned up the textures for.

It's actually decent.

Here's the map: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XMQk2O7ANQCbAeNrNHGLoOtxVZkRv1PY/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Codename_Delta

In terms of something resembling an actual map, rather than a proof of concept? None, to be honest. I think I realize pretty early on if I intend to see a map through to completion. I wouldn't put work into something I wasn't sure I would eventually release.

That's really easy to tell, I'm numbering all my maps and I'm currently at number 027, and I don't delete anything for cataloging purposes. 6 of them are abandoned (namely 004, 005, 008, 012, 013, 023), and 2 of them are currently in development (namely 019 and 027). Map 001 is also not released (yet), I wanna wait with that one for when I get my website sorted. I've been mapping since October last year, pumping out as much stuff as I can to learn mapping well.

The abandoned ones are almost always just one room that didn't inspire me.

You'll see them one day, I like to carve out the best bits and stitch them together but there are 15 of them that were "unsalvageable".

I have 3 or 4 map ideas that seemed good at the time (a couple still do), but never went anywhere.

Unless there is another 18 month lockdown, I doubt I'll have the time any more to tinker with them so they are anything more than just doodles. They are certainly not in a state that is anything approaching release-candidate.

If you mean release as in 'good to upload to ID Games' or for playtesting here, then I should probably count as stuff I won't release as playable entities all my test maps, made when I am trying out stuff or making a demo for something. There are 30 or so of these, some of which are available here.

My very first map: a "circular" PANCASE2 room with pillars representing a coliseum. It had a few chaingunners, a cyberdemon and all weapons. It included a bunch of sounds/sprites taken from Worms Armageddon, Q2, DN3D, etc. however I made a status bar face myself in MS Paint. Music was E3M8, but I also included the Age of Empires midis for the next maps because I had ambitions (never made more map replacements tho). Made using WadAuthor and WinTex.

It was technically released on a now-dead Personal MSN Page. Maybe it's in some old hard drive but I'm in no rush to search for it following the thread spirit.

Also a bunch of more recent prototypes that I'm too lazy to take them anywhere... maybe.

i have a multitude of 'maps' ive made while fucking around with doom builder since 2011 (i have 'maps' in quotes since a majority of them aren't even proper maps, just concept maps made while experimenting with different mapping tricks). the few maps that ive made that are actually playable are legitimately awful.

As a beginner I don't have many maps, but I have maps I didn't release because they aren't finished or I don't think they are good to release. I'd love to give life to them releasing to the community, but I don't have enough confidence to do, and this keeps me as a 'beginner' level :( . How many levels? Maybe 10+, in my current machine, and some more  I lost in the old one.

The only way I don't release a map is if it never ends up finished, personally. Even all of my old junk (at least, that which survived) is out there for people to DL if they for some reason wanted to.

On 6/4/2022 at 5:18 PM, Doomkid said:

The only way I don't release a map is if it never ends up finished, personally. Even all of my old junk (at least, that which survived) is out there for people to DL if they for some reason wanted to.

I have too many projects that never ended up finished. Army of Insanity for Doom. (Just to name one)

But now that I have the motivation to start on it again. I'm going to make it remastered for my current WIP, BJ Blaze Episode 1: Bleed me a River.

Edited by AlphaSoraKun

I probably have a good dozen or so maps that are basically finished, that I'm not sure will ever see a release. Mostly stuff that belonged to bigger projects that I fear wouldn't "make sense" as standalone releases (or wouldn't have the same impact?). And I just ran out of steam with all of those projects, sadly, or got distracted by something shinier. 

Used to be one, but I put it out not terribly long ago. I haven't made any since because I feel like I have such a peculiar sense of what's fun.