Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
El Inferno

Dance on the Water - /idgames

42 minutes ago, Red Recluse said:

Amazing time for doom marine journey to epic.

Time for you to make some great TAS runs 

Welcome to the death in excess or new gothic movement bloody home.                           

dotw1x545.zip                                                                                                                                                                                                              

raises the bar in terms of difficulty for a relatively short wad like this, surpasses dimensions in average difficulty. Very cool !!!!!!!

Nobody is ready for Map03

Edited by KineticBeverage

OH FUCK YES. I think I'll get a demo uploaded for at least one or two of the maps, though idk if I'll have the time to persist on any of the rest, lol.

Time for me to start grinding the red map, but I am eager to see everyone's reactions to the green one

So here's some demos I did of Maps 01 and 02. Strangely, they're a touch less overwhelming than I expected and I played on HMP. Although progression in Map 01 is a bit....you'll see. Nicely sadistic Cyberdemon placements though

lmd_dancewaterpartwhatevs.zip

Beautiful maps. One thing I've noticed is my FPS stutters a bit on map 3 no matter the resolution (I natively play on 1440p and use PRBOOM+UMAPINFO). That's probably the size of the map however. 

Also, is it correct that DOOM guy no longer makes pain sounds? 

20 hours ago, nobleflame said:

Also, is it correct that DOOM guy no longer makes pain sounds

Probably no?

20 hours ago, nobleflame said:

Also, is it correct that DOOM guy no longer makes pain sounds?

Yes, player pain and death sounds are removed (or rather replaced by empty lumps). In some fights you're forced to spend significat amount of time on damaging floors and the repeating pain sound gets old really fast. Kudos to David for suggesting this change.

There are a couple of other sound replacements in the wad too

2 hours ago, El Inferno said:

Yes, player pain and death sounds are removed (or rather replaced by empty lumps). In some fights you're forced to spend significat amount of time on damaging floors and the repeating pain sound gets old really fast. Kudos to David for suggesting this change.

There are a couple of other sound replacements in the wad too

Thanks, thought I was going mad. Also, good choice definitely; thanks, David.

What makes map 3 so slow on gzdoom?  I know a lot of boom wads run slow on it, but we're talking 1fps on a 3070 and 5600x.

2 minutes ago, invictius said:

What makes map 3 so slow on gzdoom?  I know a lot of boom wads run slow on it, but we're talking 1fps on a 3070 and 5600x.

Most of the 6-7k closet monsters are awake right away, the map hits the 65k linedef limit, occupies 30k x 30k square area. It also doesn't have a build in reject table. Stacked on top of each other items on a scroller sometimes cause lag. There could also be other line of sight or sound propagation things going on which clutter the engine.

I don't know what'd be the main contributing factor though, gzdoom is just not optimized for such things. dsda should run fine though

6 minutes ago, El Inferno said:

Most of the 6-7k closet monsters are awake right away, the map hits the 65k linedef limit, occupies 30k x 30k square area. It also doesn't have a build in reject table. Stacked on top of each other items on a scroller sometimes cause lag. There could also be other line of sight or sound propagation things going on which clutter the engine.

I don't know what'd be the main contributing factor though, gzdoom is just not optimized for such things. dsda should run fine though

dear lord. My computer will die if i play that map

On 3/26/2023 at 2:39 PM, El Inferno said:

What's the advantage over prboom+?  As that seems to run it fine for me.

On 3/26/2023 at 9:09 AM, El Inferno said:

Map 3 even lagged prboom+ (and dsda-doom) so hard it ran at a mere 3-5 fps for me...

On 3/26/2023 at 5:27 AM, invictius said:

Density and monster count. 

EDIT: OH, i am mistaken. Its monster count only.

On 3/26/2023 at 5:46 AM, gamingcooler said:

dear lord. My computer will die if i play that map

On 3/26/2023 at 5:39 AM, El Inferno said:

16 minutes ago, Grassy chunks said:

Map 3 even lagged prboom+ (and dsda-doom) so hard it ran at a mere 3-5 fps for me...

Shamelessly plugging @hobomaster22's Helion engine. It ran MAP04 of DOTW (Which is rather dense) incredibly well on a crapshoot rig (Core i5-4590T, Intel HD 4600)

And it also rans well on a plethora of systems:

Cheap Amazon special micro pc from 2019
Windows 10
Intel Celeron
Intel HD 500
4GB RAM

This PC is painful. It's slow just using the desktop. Hard drive access seems to be a huge bottleneck even though it has an SSD. Let's see what it can do anyway.

Rendering at 1920x1080

Planisphere 2 (2048 cutoff): 60 FPS
Planisphere 2 (4096 cutoff) 39 FPS
Sunlust MAP28 (2048 cutoff): 55 FPS
Dance on the Water MAP04 (2048 cutoff): 52 FPS
Eviternity MAP26 (2048 cutoff): 45 FPS

Budget laptop from 2014
Windows 8.1
AMD A6-5200
AMD Radeon HD  8400
4GB RAM

Compared to the previous pc this laptop is useable. Hard drive access isn't painful like the cheap Amazon micro pc.

Rendering at 1024x768
Planisphere 2 (2048 cutoff): 75 FPS
Planisphere 2 (4096 cutoff) 55 FPS
Sunlust MAP28 (2048 cutoff): 97 FPS
Dance on the Water MAP04 (2048 cutoff): 84 FPS
Eviternity MAP26 (2048 cutoff): 86 FPS

High end desktop

Windows 10
Ryzen 5900HS
RTX 3070
16 GB RAM

Here the numbers can get pretty absurd. Especially if a lot of the map is static.

Render at 1920x1080
Planisphere 2 (8192 cutoff): 671 FPS
Dance on the Water MAP04 (4096 cutoff): 1800 FPS
Sunlust MAP28 (4096 cutoff): 250 FPS
Eviternity MAP26 (4096 cutoff): 368 FPS

So i have no doubt Helion gets 60 fps's on most rigs.