Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nikoka

[HELP] Make a whole random megawad with SLIGE

Would anyone tell me what parameters (command lines) should be set to create an entire megawad with Slige (old Doom map generator), and not a single map.

I know very well that it is an old tool, while Oblige and ObHack are newer, but I want to create vanilla Doom megawads to use with DSDoom, a simple port for DS Phat/Lite, not "limit removing".
Thank you.

8 minutes ago, boris said:

Did you try reading the documentation?

Of course. It explains many things, but not how to build a whole megawad, or even a single episode. Just a single map.

A quick dig into the original download (wayback archive now) shows me that even as a CLI program (needs 32 bit BTW) there are switches to make megawads - check lines 357 - 386 of the SLIGE.txt file in the archive

Also, suggest you try Obsidian (github src)?.

Spoiler

The map(s) generation params are built right in to the various sliders and checkboxes in the UI (here, the Obsidian UI, but Oblige are similar):

G2IIp1f.png

Note third option, top left panel. IIRC, Slige has something similar.

The second option should allow the selection of game type.

Edited by smeghammer

1 hour ago, smeghammer said:

there are switches to make megawads - check lines 357 - 386 of the SLIGE.txt

I may be stupid, but I couldn't find in the slige.txt the specific command line argument to be typed in the DOS prompt (nah, I'm not from the past, traveling in time to come here for help 🤣, but in truth I still use an old Pentium I with WindowsXP).
Anyway, I found a site where a megawad is produced daily with Slige, and for more than twenty years, it has already created countless of them:
https://soulsphere.org/hacks/slige/

Edit: I didn't realize someone else had suggested this. My bad. 😅

Edited by Nikoka

9 minutes ago, Nikoka said:

I may be stupid, but I couldn't find in the slige.txt the specific command line argument to be typed in the DOS prompt (nah, I'm not from the past, traveling in time to come here for help 🤣, but in truth I still use an old Pentium I with WindowsXP).
Anyway, I found a site where a megawad is produced daily with Slige, and for more than twenty years, it has already created countless of them:

woah, how does that even work?

5 minutes ago, Nikoka said:

This bit:

By default SLIGE just produces one level, and it's E1M1 in
    DOOM, or MAP01 in DOOM II.  But you can ask for more, as in

slige -levels 8

to replace all the levels of E1; or

slige -levels 6 -doom2

to get MAP01 through MAP06.  You can also change the origin,
    as in

slige -E2M3

or

slige -doom2 -map17

I've not tried, but I interpret that as:

-levels n

Create this many levels, starting from E1M1 or MAP01

and

-MAP01 or -E1M1

Start from specified level.

Combining the two will mean 'start from X and generate Y maps'

@smeghammer Thank you (and everyone else)  for your explanation and patience. I will try it later. At worst I will use those automatic daily megawads.

I will also note that Obsidian actually bundles SLUMP, a SLIGE fork. If you select "Vanilla Doom" as the engine, you can use it from the GUI.

3 hours ago, RjY said:

Do you need more than one megawad per day? If not, you might be able to make do with fraggle's Automatic SLIGE megawad!

The generator has been running since September 19th, 2002. This amounts to more than 7,100 WAD files generated so far, including more than 227,000 levels.

This is out by a factor of 10!

7 hours ago, Trenchcoater said:

woah, how does that even work?

I'd imagine a batch file that calls slige.exe and bsp.exe, that is itself called periodically once every day, from Task Scheduler or the schtasks.exe CLI tool (though not sure if the latter was in XP). Possibly with a auto-upload (ftp) to the server as well...

Oblige won't work within vanilla limits, though. Well...you may luck out with an extremely simple map without many windows or outdoor areas, but at that point why bother.

48 minutes ago, dasho said:

Oblige won't work within vanilla limits, though. Well...you may luck out with an extremely simple map without many windows or outdoor areas, but at that point why bother

Actually DSDoom is the port of PrBoom+ on DS/DSi, and Oblige 7.7 also produces wads explicitly compatible with Boom. I had a chance to test it these days on DSi (with 16mb RAM), and it works even with the most complex maps with windows, parks, caves, puddles, lava etc. as long as the level is small in size. In this case they work perfectly. With medium ones up instead it often crashes during saving.

While I'm at it, can any of you tell me if there are any weapon mods or new monsters mods compatible with PrBoom+, and therefore with DSDoom (which supports wad and deh formats only)?

Thanks.

Edited by Nikoka

I

43 minutes ago, Nikoka said:

Actually DSDoom is the port of PrBoom+ on DS/DSi, and Oblige 7.7 also produces wads explicitly compatible with Boom. I had a chance to test it these days on DSi (with 16mb RAM), and it works even with the most complex maps with windows, parks, caves, puddles, lava etc. as long as the level is small in size. In this case they work perfectly. With medium ones up instead it often crashes during saving.

Gotcha, was thrown off when you said "vanilla Doom" and "not limit removing" in the original post.

10 minutes ago, dasho said:

Gotcha, was thrown off when you said "vanilla Doom" and "not limit removing" in the original post.

You are right, PrBoom is a "limit removing" port, but the DSi version, even more so for DS, still has severe limitations due to the little RAM available (16mb for the former, 4mb for the latter). I used mostly vanilla megawads to be on the safe side.