Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
myolden

Altars of Madness [Now on idgames!] [Boom] [12 Maps]

This wad is one of the best things I've played this year. Everybody: play it and enjoy the tight fights, lovely architecture and the unified overall atmosphere of these special maps!

Started digging my claws into this one, stellar stuff. It really has that Sunlust vibe minus the unapproachability. Well done!

Thanks again for letting me have an early playthrough of this set, it was a nice surprise and the levels were awesome!  Highly recommended stuff.

Just wanted to say these maps are BEATIFUL the architeture is marvelous and the combat is my jam, like a easy version of sunlust with high threat encounters and limited movement, Great job!

Amazing mapset with nice looks and punchy strategical combat. I don't even agree it's easier than Sunlust! Some fights are easier, while others are harder than many Sunlust fights. Mancubus turret level for example was a pretty hard one, also the mechanic felt novel to me personally, I've never seen anything like that before! Also, some design choices look very fresh too.

This map set has all my favourite things. I've done the first two maps so far. Will see how I go with the rest. Really enjoying the aesthetic and combat so far. Video for map01 with playlist for the map set below. 

Played first 3 maps, not to big maps but they looking good, dint'n like the fights so far, small rooms, to many monsters for me. So far i pass this wad.

9 hours ago, StorkGreen said:

Map01 UV-Pacifist in 1:53

Cool map, i like blue maps

aom01p0153.zip

There will be more demos, i guess and hope...

Cool to see a pacifist run, gonna check out the demo tonight when I get home.

14 minutes ago, muumi said:

did little speedrunning

GG, you now hold the WR for map 4.

image0.jpg
“Y’know what I say? This mapset is NOT a fun compact doom experience with tightly designed combat encounters. One color per map? That’s just plain lazy!”

Demos for some of the maps. I sure appreciate the difficulty climb here, gotta say. Most of these could probably be called your hardest. It's almost like skulltiverse were exactly the sorts of maps you always wanted to make.

lmd_aom.zip

14 hours ago, StorkGreen said:

Map01 UV-Pacifist in 1:53

Cool map, i like blue maps

aom01p0153.zip

There will be more demos, i guess and hope...

Interesting to see how the pacifist run neuters some of the fights since the monsters don't wake up. Though I do think pacifist may not be possible on some maps without the use of some kind of glitch, such as map 7 and 12. 

3 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Demos for some of the maps. I sure appreciate the difficulty climb here, gotta say. Most of these could probably be called your hardest. It's almost like skulltiverse were exactly the sorts of maps you always wanted to make.

lmd_aom.zip

Thanks for the demos! Watched a few and it's fun to see how you tackle the fights. Glad you seemed to enjoy it.

12 hours ago, ryiron said:

This map set has all my favourite things. I've done the first two maps so far. Will see how I go with the rest. Really enjoying the aesthetic and combat so far. Video for map01 with playlist for the map set below. 

Great to see videos as well. Glad the maps are to your liking so far, will keep up with the videos as you post them.

Just here to say this mapset is good fun! Especially loved “Tight arena&RL only” map here. Keep it going ;)

Yeah, this is cool. Not usually a fan of the whole "tight enclosed fights" thingy but thought it was well implemented here, on HMP anyway.

Didn't find any softlocks or bugs, but hardly found any secrets, either they're VERY well hidden or I shouldn't have had 4 gin and tonics.

Only nitpick I have is on the narratively aesthetic side, but I find it's a highly recurring trope in contemporary doom wads, which is that I feel I'm playing video game levels instead of "living" a story, but we all know what Carmack said...

Good job anyway.

Fun stuff. Great visuals, but I find the arena's to be a little flat and cramped. But then again, slaughter isn't really my cup of tea

In map06 you can get softlocked if you fall behind a tree near the red key. it's where the blue? purple? player arrow is at.

Spoiler

9b3af6da6f.png

1 hour ago, boltface said:

In map06 you can get softlocked if you fall behind a tree near the red key. it's where the blue? purple? player arrow is at.

Reveal hidden contents

9b3af6da6f.png

Thanks for the report, I'll add it to the list of fixes for RC2.

Amazing wad so far!

I want to report a bug though.

In Map 05 I somehow managed to skip a linedef (spoilers ahead):

Spoiler

In this corridor where the revenants are supposed to emerge from the walls after you grab a rocket launcher and pass it the second time.

I somehow ran past it without triggering revenants and without a wall in front of me rising. Or maybe it was not a linedef, but the voodoo doll magic failed somehow, not sure.

I can't reliably reproduce but I can give you the save after that happened.

image.png.ab6e9e6ff4b0f7f26e28a5d1a2a0120e.png

56 minutes ago, Ravendesk said:

Amazing wad so far!

I want to report a bug though.

In Map 05 I somehow managed to skip a linedef (spoilers ahead):

Hide contents

In this corridor where the revenants are supposed to emerge from the walls after you grab a rocket launcher and pass it the second time.

I somehow ran past it without triggering revenants and without a wall in front of me rising. Or maybe it was not a linedef, but the voodoo doll magic failed somehow, not sure.

I can't reliably reproduce but I can give you the save after that happened.

image.png.ab6e9e6ff4b0f7f26e28a5d1a2a0120e.png

Interestingly enough this also happened once while testing the map. I was never able to get it to happen again though, so I couldn't exactly diagnose what went wrong. I'll add it to my notes to put a second linedef that triggers that fight as a backup, which is the only thing I can think to do.

Thanks for reporting, and glad you're enjoying the wad!

1 hour ago, myolden said:

Interestingly enough this also happened once while testing the map. I was never able to get it to happen again though, so I couldn't exactly diagnose what went wrong. I'll add it to my notes to put a second linedef that triggers that fight as a backup, which is the only thing I can think to do.

Thanks for reporting, and glad you're enjoying the wad!

Adjust the vertices a bit I think? A parallel linedef can be skipped if you run too fast or you are lucky.

Finished the wad, it's great. Combat is challenging but always fair. Really liked how map 11's concept of only having a berserk and a rocket launcher for the whole map was implemented.

My only minor criticism is

Spoiler

the evil eye secret in Map 11.

I have no idea how it's possible to figure it out without UDB except for randomly noticing it, but maybe it's just me being stupid. Otherwise the secrets are very good: hidden, but all the tips are there, and they are very rewarding.

Will surely make some demos when it's on idgames.

23 minutes ago, Ravendesk said:

Finished the wad, it's great. Combat is challenging but always fair. Really liked how map 11's concept of only having a berserk and a rocket launcher for the whole map was implemented.

My only minor criticism is

Hide contents

the evil eye secret in Map 11.

I have no idea how it's possible to figure it out without UDB except for randomly noticing it, but maybe it's just me being stupid. Otherwise the secrets are very good: hidden, but all the tips are there, and they are very rewarding.

Will surely make some demos when it's on idgames.

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you enjoyed the set. The map 11 secret you mentioned is something that I was very much on the fence about, it seemed too cryptic and obscure even at the time. I'll make a note to do something about it in RC2, either find a way to hint at it better or change it entirely.

9 hours ago, myolden said:

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you enjoyed the set. The map 11 secret you mentioned is something that I was very much on the fence about, it seemed too cryptic and obscure even at the time. I'll make a note to do something about it in RC2, either find a way to hint at it better or change it entirely.

I did manage to find this secret in my play through. The secret is visible on the map, so I figured there had to be something close by. I was only able to find it after clearing out the room, and heard the wall around the eye move when I was wandering around. I took a bit more searching to figure out what the actual trigger was. It is pretty obscure and easy to miss though. The main secret I got stuck on was the plasma gun in map06. The shootable switch for it is just barely visible.