Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
we're closed

Metastasis (A Doom II Limit-Removing Map)

So, I may have ABSOLUTELY overreacted over my creative block, my exams, and everything that has sorta been going shit in my life. So, being too tired to study for exams, particularly cancer, I decided to watch some videos, and figured that I could pay attention to them while formulaically making (copy-pasting) some rooms. I managed to make this level, and even thought of a name, Metastasis. Why? Because it has these corridors and rooms just sprawling and spreading everywhere, with smaller rooms within rooms.

Edited by we're closed : Updated the map, fixed a missing texture, edit2- fixed arch-vile that wouldn't come out of the closet

The backtracking kind of sucked, but that was the only real issue, but it was just small enough, that it wasn't a huge one. This might have your highest monster count yet! Love your tenth gear map, btw!

lmd_metastasis.zip

@elio.exe
Good evening / happy early morning my friend, first of all, I will say that this map that you have made has seemed really entertaining to me, and secondly, perhaps I can understand the kind of things that you are going through, since, if you have reflected your situation in this map, I can be sure that I share your pain about it, since it is somewhat complex to understand the way in which the rooms connect here, from going from top to bottom, from left to right, and in various other places, because here it is quite easy to get lost or misplaced due to the similarity of areas and the few signs of directions that you have to take to find the keys or the exit itself, huh, but... apart from all that, it really has been a The most entertaining map, because seriously, I had a great time with only 1 secret, and the rest that was only killing buddy, with which, you have made a very entertaining and interesting map, heh.

Spoiler
12 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

The backtracking kind of sucked, but that was the only real issue, but it was just small enough, that it wasn't a huge one. This might have your highest monster count yet! Love your tenth gear map, btw!

lmd_metastasis.zip

Hmm, I thought the backtracking wouldn't be as tedious if I kept the player engaged with those traps. Also, the demo doesn't seem to work, what engine did you use when recording?

Spoiler
4 hours ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

@elio.exe
Good evening / happy early morning my friend, first of all, I will say that this map that you have made has seemed really entertaining to me, and secondly, perhaps I can understand the kind of things that you are going through, since, if you have reflected your situation in this map, I can be sure that I share your pain about it, since it is somewhat complex to understand the way in which the rooms connect here, from going from top to bottom, from left to right, and in various other places, because here it is quite easy to get lost or misplaced due to the similarity of areas and the few signs of directions that you have to take to find the keys or the exit itself, huh, but... apart from all that, it really has been a The most entertaining map, because seriously, I had a great time with only 1 secret, and the rest that was only killing buddy, with which, you have made a very entertaining and interesting map, heh.

Thank you for the video and review, this time I did try to be smarter with monster placement, even experimenting. As for the layout itself, I have nothing to say. I got lost (more like confused) while testing several times too, and watching the video I did think to myself "Where tf did I place that yellow switch?". 

Pretty good level.  My only problem with it is the backtracking.  But it plays well. 

5 hours ago, elio.exe said:

Hmm, I thought the backtracking wouldn't be as tedious if I kept the player engaged with those traps. Also, the demo doesn't seem to work, what engine did you use when recording?

Well, it seems that you are right about the first thing you said, in itself, the Wad was not tedious, but it was confusing at times huh. Regarding the other thing, I recorded it using "Action" but I forgot to edit it because it was already quite dark when I uploaded it, so I just uploaded it to Youtube without giving it a cleaner edit because of the sleep I was feeling at that moment, but I promise to fix that in future videos dude.

5 hours ago, elio.exe said:

Thank you for the video and review, this time I did try to be smarter with monster placement, even experimenting. As for the layout itself, I have nothing to say. I got lost (more like confused) while testing several times too, and watching the video I did think to myself "Where tf did I place that yellow switch?". 

It seems that your mind was thinking about many interesting things at the time you were making the map, and with each test you did, you were getting more and more confused about what you were doing, which, arguably, makes this Wad more especially, because I personally feel like I've been witnessing some kind of mental labyrinth here, and that makes this map very interesting for me, huh.

Spoiler
4 hours ago, Kor said:

Pretty good level.  My only problem with it is the backtracking.  But it plays well. 

Looks like imma have to stop using keyed doors that are opened by switches to avoid making the player running around too much. Better have that mindset that not everyone is accustomed to the map and doesn't know the layout. Thank you!

Spoiler
29 minutes ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

Regarding the other thing, I recorded it using "Action" but I forgot to edit it because it was already quite dark when I uploaded it, so I just uploaded it to Youtube without giving it a cleaner edit because of the sleep I was feeling at that moment, but I promise to fix that in future videos dude.

Nah, the video was nice, I was quoting @/LadyMistDragon on this one.

Spoiler
30 minutes ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

It seems that your mind was thinking about many interesting things at the time you were making the map, and with each test you did, you were getting more and more confused about what you were doing, which, arguably, makes this Wad more especially, because I personally feel like I've been witnessing some kind of mental labyrinth here, and that makes this map very interesting for me, huh.

Well my endocrinology exam is coming up, so if I decide to make a map during this time, it may get even more confusing xD

8 hours ago, elio.exe said:
  Reveal hidden contents

DSDA Doom

23 hours ago, elio.exe said:

Nah, the video was nice, I was quoting @/LadyMistDragon on this one.

Yeah bro, I figured it out, don't worry about it, heh.

23 hours ago, elio.exe said:

Well my endocrinology exam is coming up, so if I decide to make a map during this time, it may get even more confusing xD

Wow, well, I would really be delighted to see how far you could go to make a map like this, mate, what's more, you could try to make an experimental one with whatever you have in mind, and I could definitely play it without problems.

I'm glad you're going strong! I always liked this marble\vine texture combination

17 hours ago, Noiser said:

I'm glad you're going strong! I always liked this marble\vine texture combination

Thank you! I was trying to go for more of a 'shores of hell'-ish vibe in this one

I had fun playing this map. It's very good and provided a decent challenge. Spoilers:

Spoiler

The spider trap was my favorite part. I play doom with fast monsters on a personal mod I made where things hit three times as hard and that part woke me up.

2 minutes ago, Mercury Spade said:

I had fun playing this map. It's very good and provided a decent challenge. 

Thank you! 

Spoiler

I'm glad the spider did pose a bit of threat, since it's objectively not very interactive, and you can easily avoid taking damage.

Spoiler

Yea, but when I teleported in and saw all those pinkies and I turned my guy to see the spider mastermind there it was an oh uh moment for me.

A very good quality, entertaining and challenging map! My only complaint was as a first time player, it was a bit bothersome to track down the key switches tucked away in corners far away from the key doors, but I like how there was a focus on exploration and dynamic encounters thoroughout the level so that there weren't all that many "one-and-done" rooms. As a fan of short mapsets and singlemaps, this is definitely going in my list of maps to come back to.

1 hour ago, Baratus said:

A very good quality, entertaining and challenging map! My only complaint was as a first time player, it was a bit bothersome to track down the key switches tucked away in corners far away from the key doors, but I like how there was a focus on exploration and dynamic encounters thoroughout the level so that there weren't all that many "one-and-done" rooms. As a fan of short mapsets and singlemaps, this is definitely going in my list of maps to come back to.

Thank you for playing the map! I agree that the key and doors were poor design choices, but I do feel like the exploration gives this map some charm, and they add to the probability of the player getting caught off guard on some of the traps.

EDIT: Looks like I screwed up the quote function xD