Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChopBlock223

Text Lumps & Fonts

Question

I've had a go at replacing the characters and text patches in a .wad with custom ones, but what I notice is that certain ones will not seem to actually load, neither in DSDA nor GzDoom, while a bunch do. Is there some resource somewhere where I can find out if there's any standards for size or something which I must adhere to?

6 answers to this question

Alright, it turns out there's a second % character to replace, WIPCNT is the one for the intermission score screen, while STTPRCNT is for the status bar. Thanks to @Edward850 for noticing that for me!

It'd help to get a first-hand look at the wad/lumps in question.
I recall having some funny issue with STBAR graphics because I converted to Doom GFX with transparency information, the way you describe how everything seems to be exactly how it's supposed to be reminds me of the issue.

At this point, though, I can only guess.

GZDoom and DSDA-Doom have very different font management systems, so it's to be expected that some stuff may work in the one but not the other. However, if it works in neither, then it's probably a more basic issue, like not the right name, not in the right namespace, or something like that.

They are between the right marker lumps, they have the same filenames, they're even paletted (not that GzDoom should care), and they do the same thing in both GzDoom and DSDA: some of them actually load, some don't, not randomly, by the way, it's the same ones which work or don't work.

GzDoom has its own systems for using fonts, but it also uses the letter graphics and text graphics for Vanilla/Boom stuff, I've seen that in a bunch of .wads, and that's what's used here.

I'm assuming that their dimensions may have something to do with it, but I wouldn't be entirely sure what those have to be.

Can nobody help me with this? I'm not sure how to solve it or where I can look for the right information.

I resolved the text patches for the menu, but for whatever reason the percent character will not load. The filenames are the exact same, WIPCNT