Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David Asaad

The Spectrum of the Balls of Steel 1 non-linear slaughtermap -complevel 9 (idgames)

Dude, this looks epic. 

Are you making a WAD of several maps related to your balls? I'm here for it.

3 hours ago, nobleflame said:

Dude, this looks epic. 

Are you making a WAD of several maps related to your balls? I'm here for it.

Yea id like to in the future. 

18 hours ago, gabirupee said:

Your balls are very attractive.

11 hours ago, Electro Rage said:

Wait what?

I know.  It's a little confusing, but I'll try to explain.  Don't think of the universe in terms of only discrete "balls", per se, but understand that there can be a whole continuum of things, spanning from any single "ball" too.  It's simple ball-ology.  Well, I guess it's not too simple, because actually it's a whole field.  Here's an article pertaining to just a subtopic of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairy_ball_theorem

5 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

I know.  It's a little confusing, but I'll try to explain.  Don't think of the universe in terms of only discrete "balls", per se, but understand that there can be a whole continuum of things, spanning from any single "ball" too.  It's simple ball-ology.  Well, I guess it's not too simple, because actually it's a whole field.  Here's an article pertaining to just a subtopic of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairy_ball_theorem

Bruh

I don't stand a chance even on hntr because I profoundly suck at doom. The only thing I feel confident saying is that it looks great. There are some very neat ideas for fights and also for design. Nicely detailed, even things that are very dark and conventionally inaccessible. If you spend time making even the areas that the player most likely won't ever see look great, that's good mapping in my book. The Legion of the Balls of Steel is a different beast entirely. That one's a large field with rock formations. Definitely the focus on combat, just like Dimensions MAP01. This one is pretty damn high quality in terms of visuals as well as combat. I'm not at all qualified to speak of the fights, I leave that to others. Very clever ideas, what I managed to shamelessly cheat through to see, which wasn't much. But when I opened it up in map editor, my jaw dropped. This is your second map? And you got voodoo dolls and all sorts of clever tricks, and teleporter closets with a bunch of backup lines to separate sectors.. Those probably never clog-up. Even with such crazy throughput. Like that blue caco closet? Jeezus, man!

In conclusion, I don't know what to say. It's just mad. Looking forward to a guided tour. And for more maps of yours, even if I'm not the target audience.

PS: thanks for the blue balls

9 minutes ago, Sneezy McGlassFace said:

I don't stand a chance even on hntr because I profoundly suck at doom. The only thing I feel confident saying is that it looks great. There are some very neat ideas for fights and also for design. Nicely detailed, even things that are very dark and conventionally inaccessible. If you spend time making even the areas that the player most likely won't ever see look great, that's good mapping in my book. The Legion of the Balls of Steel is a different beast entirely. That one's a large field with rock formations. Definitely the focus on combat, just like Dimensions MAP01. This one is pretty damn high quality in terms of visuals as well as combat. I'm not at all qualified to speak of the fights, I leave that to others. Very clever ideas, what I managed to shamelessly cheat through to see, which wasn't much. But when I opened it up in map editor, my jaw dropped. This is your second map? And you got voodoo dolls and all sorts of clever tricks, and teleporter closets with a bunch of backup lines to separate sectors.. Those probably never clog-up. Even with such crazy throughput. Like that blue caco closet? Jeezus, man!

In conclusion, I don't know what to say. It's just mad. Looking forward to a guided tour. And for more maps of yours, even if I'm not the target audience.

PS: thanks for the blue balls

Wow thanks a lot for the kind words! 

13 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Sorry, too complex... I'll just drop out of college.

Orange fight feels evil to the point I think I would have to grind it for 100s of attempts at my current skill level even on HMP. I thought HMP would be around 2X harder than say, dmn01 HMP, but personally to me it feels like it's 3X or 4X that on my current blind playthrough.

I assume that it's as difficult as intended anyway. So I will drop down to HNTR for now.

Other than that, the Red room was hilarious and extremely clever/well designed and was pretty tough, but it was fun to eventually figure out the movement and time bfg shots.

First fight is my favourite one from what I've seen so far of the wad, really enjoyable scenario of crowd control and disclipline around when to grab powerups.

White area I haven't seen much of past the second part, but the screenshot reminds me of a nosp or italo map so that's already awesome.

Great work yet again!

Will give this a run on HNTR soon! And HMP to compare if I'm up for it.

Spoiler

And UV to only gawk at in the editor

Fuck, this is the hardest shit ever for me. I tried to play on UV, then HMP, then HNTR and still got my ass handed to me, so I'd rather wait for your explanation video / UV max demo (even though it still won't be as impressive as your E1M1 UV max, but still) because I can't even get past the first area without rewinding dammit. Epic stuff.

I really appriciate that you actually balanced for HNTR because I have severe skill issues and that's probably my limit for now; this probably made it much more accessible to people. I had lots of fun and I love this map. I have only tried keyboard only for the blue and green fight, had lots of fun with that too. The texturing looks very nice (even though they are unecessary because every fight looks like red fight lol) & the ninja gaiden midi just became my new favourite. Thanks a lot for making this map. Looking forward for your next slaughtermaps!

Also some gaminor issues: the white fight might be a little too easy on HNTR, it made difficulty of fights seemed a little less uniform. HOM visible when you fall off in entrance into green secret fight. Plus the google drive link is broken.

"some fights are optional"

muh UV-Max tho

I'm going to download and try it out tonight (I'm angry at Abandon right now), and I'll write up a review! :D

Start is annoying, hate the platforming, hate how easily I get pushed off of stuff, just rude lol - gotta chaingun to the center and try to grab the RL through the hordes before the spawns become too much, felt very luck-based if I got out or not.  Tons of chaingunners + pain eles make using the RL rough, but you can circle-strafe (very carefully) around the outside and chaingun and get work done that way.  Plenty of bullets - and once you have the room to start rocketing, you've won.

Did red fight first, tanked random zaps with megas (but was able to bait all the front viles into infighting cybies), and once only mancubi were spawning, ducked into the back to grab supplies.  Once cybies killed everything, waited for them to get crushed, grab supplies, duck out before you get crushed by the rev+imp wave (3 or 4 BFG shots gets you through if you stick to a corner).  BFG your way through the horde safely from the outside (refilling using mancubus supplies), clear out the wave, fill up and move on to orange.

Black room - crusher is a trick, you kill all the skelebros while tanking crusher damage using the BFG and infinite RL, and that spawns an invuln in the front you use to open the rest of the room.  I made U-shapes from left to right, avoiding the caco cloud as it was totally impassible, and just used the space I cleared up by focusing viles, chaingunners and pain ele's during the invuln to make space to clear the rest of the room.  Just a lot of infighting and having to carefully watch souls to not self-rocket from there.  once you clear enough to start doing laps, you've won.  I killed the cybarons last because they were kind of tricky to space the distance for - and it was very tense just circling forever tyrying to get them to finally die lol, and then I learned that the whole room becomes a crusher anyway so clean-up is fake!  (And I love that!)

Orange Room - We can hear you!  I broke this room - the only way I cleared it was to get triple-vile-boosted onto the side of the arena near the barons, and kill the whole room before tediously super-RL sniping the viles that were out of non-retaliation zap range from there.  I'd love to learn the actual strat for this.  I once teleported back here after finishing this fight, and the teleporter was removed and said "HA!HA!", so don't re-visit once cleared.

Yellow Room - Blame the red screen!  Very funny lol - but this room was probably the easiest room.  The center pillar has a pile of viles, but you can move pretty far away before they get zappy, so if you're quick, you can RL down the chaingunners and imps on spawn and just rotate around the arena, grabbing megas for the chip damage and hopefully not going blind from the redness.  If you see a zap, 3-second rule - stay close to the center and don't go out unless you're certain the zaps are done, but you can go out almost halfway without getting zapped most of the time.  Once the chains + imps stop spawning, the buttons will summon a rev wave and kill the center viles - just RL them down (swap to BFG if you get swarmed and need space), and you'll easily clear this arena.

Blue-Yellow-White section:  Honestly very bizarre.  I mostly BFG+M1'd and hoped cybies didn't blow me up, hoped I got to megas and ammo in time, and hoped I moved out of the rev pile's and vile pile's line of sight fast enough.  Hitting the teleporters is good for repositioning, and you want to stay out of blue as much as possible - let later crushers deal with Blue.  Once you clear enough space to rocket-launcher, you've won, assuming you didn't get yourself trapped in the blue 20 damage floor area. Clear out everything, and then hit all the buttons - when you do, a ton of pain eles and scattered other trash spawns, and the entire arena crushes. The only spot that's safe are the teleporters, so just teleport if you're about to be crushed, and don't be afraid to drop down several levels if needed to get to a slower-crushing spot - though beware of the damaging floor!  To exit, fall from Yellow to White, and enter the side room.

Didn't find the secret fight, did IDCLIP to it, and it's a relatively simple imp + caco clearing into a cybruiser fight. 

Not my cup of tea, and nothing I'm going to UVMax or demo.  I like slaughter, but I don't like "survive-to-the-next-megasphere"-style density.  I prefer fights that can be super cleanly executed or no-hit, rather than fights that need to be tanked for extended periods of time in very careful ways to progress.  And yes, you can make any fight "reliably clearable" by just adding enough megaspheres, but it becomes a lot less interesting to me at that point.  I like megaspheres as mistake-clearers or starting-point-HP, and this is not that.  That being said, however, this is definitely a genre I'm new to, and I plan on trying a lot more maps and maybe coming back to this!

I may also just be a boomer doomer, as I'm not generally a huge fan of the crazy custom weapons, viles ressurecting viles, cybruisers or anything like that.

That being said, the map has a lot good going for it - the visuals are great, I love the theme, and the exit room is one of the coolest rooms I've seen in a long time.  I love this aesthetic, which is why I gave it a shot.  And I actually really love the use of crushers, and I think that being able to declare you've won a fight by crushing the whole map by hitting buttons that you can only reach once you've hit fight stability is a cool mechanic, as it skips the boring clean-up.

I'd have to try the map again in different orders to learn the different variations on these fights, but I didn't enjoy it enough for repeat playthroughs.

Aesthetics 9/10, Opening 2/10, Neat Mechanics 8/10, Fights NotForMe/10.  Overall I'd give it a very strong and opinionated 5/10 - "a wonderful concept, but not for me".

(Note that I consider 5/10 average, not like 7 or 8 - so a pretty decent map overall, and I don't hate it despite disliking the combat style!)

8 hours ago, Kwahn said:

Start is annoying, hate the platforming, hate how easily I get pushed off of stuff, just rude lol - gotta chaingun to the center and try to grab the RL through the hordes before the spawns become too much, felt very luck-based if I got out or not.  Tons of chaingunners + pain eles make using the RL rough, but you can circle-strafe (very carefully) around the outside and chaingun and get work done that way.  Plenty of bullets - and once you have the room to start rocketing, you've won.

Did red fight first, tanked random zaps with megas (but was able to bait all the front viles into infighting cybies), and once only mancubi were spawning, ducked into the back to grab supplies.  Once cybies killed everything, waited for them to get crushed, grab supplies, duck out before you get crushed by the rev+imp wave (3 or 4 BFG shots gets you through if you stick to a corner).  BFG your way through the horde safely from the outside (refilling using mancubus supplies), clear out the wave, fill up and move on to orange.

Black room - crusher is a trick, you kill all the skelebros while tanking crusher damage using the BFG and infinite RL, and that spawns an invuln in the front you use to open the rest of the room.  I made U-shapes from left to right, avoiding the caco cloud as it was totally impassible, and just used the space I cleared up by focusing viles, chaingunners and pain ele's during the invuln to make space to clear the rest of the room.  Just a lot of infighting and having to carefully watch souls to not self-rocket from there.  once you clear enough to start doing laps, you've won.  I killed the cybarons last because they were kind of tricky to space the distance for - and it was very tense just circling forever tyrying to get them to finally die lol, and then I learned that the whole room becomes a crusher anyway so clean-up is fake!  (And I love that!)

Orange Room - We can hear you!  I broke this room - the only way I cleared it was to get triple-vile-boosted onto the side of the arena near the barons, and kill the whole room before tediously super-RL sniping the viles that were out of non-retaliation zap range from there.  I'd love to learn the actual strat for this.  I once teleported back here after finishing this fight, and the teleporter was removed and said "HA!HA!", so don't re-visit once cleared.

Yellow Room - Blame the red screen!  Very funny lol - but this room was probably the easiest room.  The center pillar has a pile of viles, but you can move pretty far away before they get zappy, so if you're quick, you can RL down the chaingunners and imps on spawn and just rotate around the arena, grabbing megas for the chip damage and hopefully not going blind from the redness.  If you see a zap, 3-second rule - stay close to the center and don't go out unless you're certain the zaps are done, but you can go out almost halfway without getting zapped most of the time.  Once the chains + imps stop spawning, the buttons will summon a rev wave and kill the center viles - just RL them down (swap to BFG if you get swarmed and need space), and you'll easily clear this arena.

Blue-Yellow-White section:  Honestly very bizarre.  I mostly BFG+M1'd and hoped cybies didn't blow me up, hoped I got to megas and ammo in time, and hoped I moved out of the rev pile's and vile pile's line of sight fast enough.  Hitting the teleporters is good for repositioning, and you want to stay out of blue as much as possible - let later crushers deal with Blue.  Once you clear enough space to rocket-launcher, you've won, assuming you didn't get yourself trapped in the blue 20 damage floor area. Clear out everything, and then hit all the buttons - when you do, a ton of pain eles and scattered other trash spawns, and the entire arena crushes. The only spot that's safe are the teleporters, so just teleport if you're about to be crushed, and don't be afraid to drop down several levels if needed to get to a slower-crushing spot - though beware of the damaging floor!  To exit, fall from Yellow to White, and enter the side room.

Didn't find the secret fight, did IDCLIP to it, and it's a relatively simple imp + caco clearing into a cybruiser fight. 

Not my cup of tea, and nothing I'm going to UVMax or demo.  I like slaughter, but I don't like "survive-to-the-next-megasphere"-style density.  I prefer fights that can be super cleanly executed or no-hit, rather than fights that need to be tanked for extended periods of time in very careful ways to progress.  And yes, you can make any fight "reliably clearable" by just adding enough megaspheres, but it becomes a lot less interesting to me at that point.  I like megaspheres as mistake-clearers or starting-point-HP, and this is not that.  That being said, however, this is definitely a genre I'm new to, and I plan on trying a lot more maps and maybe coming back to this!

I may also just be a boomer doomer, as I'm not generally a huge fan of the crazy custom weapons, viles ressurecting viles, cybruisers or anything like that.

That being said, the map has a lot good going for it - the visuals are great, I love the theme, and the exit room is one of the coolest rooms I've seen in a long time.  I love this aesthetic, which is why I gave it a shot.  And I actually really love the use of crushers, and I think that being able to declare you've won a fight by crushing the whole map by hitting buttons that you can only reach once you've hit fight stability is a cool mechanic, as it skips the boring clean-up.

I'd have to try the map again in different orders to learn the different variations on these fights, but I didn't enjoy it enough for repeat playthroughs.

Aesthetics 9/10, Opening 2/10, Neat Mechanics 8/10, Fights NotForMe/10.  Overall I'd give it a very strong and opinionated 5/10 - "a wonderful concept, but not for me".

(Note that I consider 5/10 average, not like 7 or 8 - so a pretty decent map overall, and I don't hate it despite disliking the combat style!)

Appreciate the thought out post dude! And the orange room wasnt telegraphed very well imo, but

Spoiler

If you shoot on the squares of fake floor, the viles wont hear you so ur supposed to click the bfg while ur standing on it then move and aim ur tracers. 

Seems like you figured everything else out, but the blue room is something you might wanna revisit cuz with rlly good awareness and using the chaingun for cutting through enemies I can beat the whole fight without Infinite RL.

Finale was something where i always wanted the player to time when to teleport between areas and decide whether its better to stay on one floor while baiting enemies to one side or get out cuz ur surrounded.

overall I get that constantly grabbing megasphere thing ur talking about and its something Ive been addressing in my mapping lately along with interconnnectedness. Of course with crushers u need a lot of megas bc two crushing sectors hitting u at once drains 120hp like in the green room. 

Spoiler

In the blue room, and the corresponding hub at the end, there are switches on the back sides of those colored lasers that tell you which color ur going to.

So yea my combat nowadays has more like you described where you can do the fight rlly well without having the crutch of megaspheres, and its balanced with the “take a lotta damage and grab megas” fights. Saved for special occasions lol. 

Oh, wow, that orange room spoiler makes sense!  I'll have to test it :D

Yeah, I'd have to practice that starting blue room way more - I didn't even try chaingun-only since I thought I'd be yeeted off by the rev/pain ele blob, but if it's consistent to chaingun-only, then I could actually telefrag the cybies earlier.  

Finale was something where i always wanted the player to time when to teleport between areas and decide whether its better to stay on one floor while baiting enemies to one side or get out cuz ur surrounded.

At that, I think you succeeded - my motions were probably less mindless than I thought, and mostly were this exact kind of subconscious decision-making.  I liked it!

Wtf was this!? Between this and BoSCP, your levels have a knack for forcing the most extraordinary kineticism per whatever-metric. It's sugar high Doom but I'm a breathless corpse.

Since I'm playing with saves, I accidentally pacifist the Orange room fight and was never made aware of the tracer gimmick :D I had a lot of fun with that kind of stupidity through this level on UV, so hopefully my savescumming is forgiven.