Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wadmodder Shalton

Should the other classic id Software developed titles get the same remaster treatment as Classic Doom, Doom 64 and Quake 1?

Should the other classic id Software developed titles get the same remaster treatment as Classic Doom, Doom 64 and Quake 1?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the other classic id Software developed titles should have the same remaster as Classic Doom, Doom 64 and Quake 1.

• Wolfenstein 3D & Spear of Destiny (maybe even the exclusive content from the 1990s Apple IIGS/Macintosh and console ports)
    • Commander Keen 1-6 (maybe even Keen Dreams)
    • Quake II (as opposed to that RTX remaster, and maybe even the N64 & PS1 versions)
    • Quake III (as opposed to Quake Live; and maybe even the exclusive content from the Dreamcast, PS2 & Xbox 360 Live Arcade ports)
    • the other forgotten id Software titles produced for Softdisk (Rescue Rover, Shadow Knights, Dangerous Dave, Hovertank 3D, etc.)
    • the id Mobile RPG series (Doom RPG, Orcs & Elves 1 2, Wolfenstein RPG and Doom II RPG)
    • the classic 1990s console experience of Doom (Jaguar, 3DO, PS1, Saturn, GBA, maybe even SNES)
    • Return to Castle Wolfenstein (Maybe even Wolfenstein Enemy Territory and the console exclusive Cursed Sands campaign)

We now know that both id Software and Bethesda had recently remastered and enhanced Classic Doom 1 & 2, Doom 64 and more recently Quake 1 for the more recent consoles in 2019, 2020 and 2021 respectively, but I think they should to the same for the following other pre-id Tech 4 era games as well, if Night Dive Studios or Nerve Software is really interested in remastering and enhancing them.

A couple of examples I can think of include the Commander Keen games, Wolfenstein 3D & Spear of Destiny, Return to Castle Wolfenstein & Wolfenstein Enemy Territory (Maybe even the console exclusive Cursed Sands campaign as well), Quake II & III (as opposed to that RTX remaster for the former, and Quake Live for the latter), the id Mobile RPG games, any of id Software's games produced for Softdisk (Like Rescue Rover, Dangerous Dave, Hovertank 3D, Shadow Knights, etc.), and the classic console experience of Doom from the 1990s (mainly the Jaguar, 3DO, Saturn, PS1 and GBA versions, maybe even the SNES version as well).

What do you think, should these older pre-id Tech 4 games from id Software be remastered and enhanced by Night Dive Studios or Nerve Software? Feel free to provide thoughts and comments for this thread.

Edited by Wadmodder Shalton

I'd say Wolfenstein 3D, it really is a classic that deserves more love. Also the RPGs, I've never played them but they do look like good games (Are they?)

I'd love to see the RPG games get at least a more accessible port, since playing them nowadays isn't exactly the most straight-forward experience.

This is certainly the right year for both Wolf3D and Quake II, so I've already had my fingers crossed for both for a while now.

10 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

We now know that both id Software and Bethesda had recently remastered and enhanced Classic Doom 1 & 2

They did? :o

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

They did? :o

That indeed was the Unity port which combined the XBLA codebase with a Unity framework as opposed to the aging id Tech 4 shell.

@Wadmodder Shalton Oh... Not quite sure this qualifies as a remaster or an enhancement as far as Classic Doom is concerned. At least, to me. :S

I would love to see a Quake Enhanced-style remaster of Doom that includes an official PC port of the Playstation levels.

I'd want Commander Keen to get the doom 2016 treatment, I think it could make for a very fun platformer franchise

2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

@Wadmodder Shalton Oh... Not quite sure this qualifies as a remaster or an enhancement as far as Classic Doom is concerned. At least, to me. :S

You can't remaster perfection.

In my vote from the heart goes from Return to Castle Wolfenstein because giving them a nice remaster can bring more hype and fandom to the pretty sure final game of the Machine Games Wolf's.

But in my mind and realistic opinion, would be Quake II, hopefully with a combination of PSX and PC giving a great look or more sci-fi blue with bloody metal.

27 minutes ago, D4NUK1 said:

You can't remaster perfection.

Well, as I pointed out above, an official release of the Playstation levels would be nice.

Also, I reckon the PC levels could still benefit from a couple of additional patches that would fix remaining issues, such as the stuck ShotgunGuy in MAP02: Underhalls, the cut-off sprite frames on widescreen resolutions or the incorrect blood colors of the Hell Knight, Baron of Hell and Cacodemon.

Heck, they might as well use the opportunity to throw in an episode selection screen for Doom II!

My dad had doom 2 RPG for his phone back in the day. Loved that game & would love to see the RPG games as a whole brought back.

a rerelease of quake 3 would be phenomenal, im sure its multiplayer would be alive longer than the quake 1 rereleases was. since multiplayer is the entire game

I would say Quake 2 and RTCW remasters. Quake 3 is awesome, but I feel that Quake Live already serves that purpose. And I am not much interested in others

I'm gonna have to go with SNES DOOM since the Vegas odds for a remaster are 1000000:1, making it a safe bet compared to Hovertank's 900000000000:1 odds. Orcs and Elves stands at 500:1 due to the potential of a new mobile port, so I wouldn't rely on that one making you a rich man. DOOM RPG stands at 100:1 for the same reason. The one I'd like to see most is RtCW, odds currently at a respectable 2500:1

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

Quake live isn't a remaster. Nor are the Doom unity releases. They're more ports. Remastering implies at least attempts to improve the quality of the game assets. 

3 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Quake live isn't a remaster. Nor are the Doom unity releases. They're more ports. Remastering implies at least attempts to improve the quality of the game assets. 

Don't the widescreen art and recorded SC-55 music count, then?

7 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Careful now, Murdoch. The "remaster vs remake vs re-release" arguments can quickly turn a peaceful environment into an orgy of blood and destruction. I'll throw in my hat and agree with you though.

2 minutes ago, Gez said:

Nope.

1 minute ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Careful now, Murdoch. The "remaster vs remake vs re-release" arguments can quickly turn a peaceful environment into an orgy of blood and destruction.

Hahaha. I know. I was feeling daring.

2 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

No way I'm calling any game a remaster because "it runs at a higher resolution than it did in 1993!!"

yeah i gotta agree with you here. i would count it as a rerelease

12 minutes ago, Gez said:

To a vast majority of the audience, no. The problem lies in expectations. Sure, you can argue about the "objective" meaning of a remaster vs re-release, but in the end, it is a commercial product and the terms "remaster" "remake" and "re-release" are also marketing terms. When I think about the term "remaster", a port with a couple extra goodies doesn't cut it for me. Then again, you'll rarely hear any developer explicitly calling their product a re-release, even if that's what it is (barring a new feature or two) because that's honest and honesty isn't what brings the bacon home. Things like widescreen art and the SC-55 music hardly count for most people considering that many folks who bought the port probably don't know what an "SC-55" is. When you're getting that far down the barrel looking for improvements, it's not something I'd personally call a remaster.

7 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

it's not something I'd personally call a remaster.

Definitely not. The Quake release was. Significant modern improvements to the engine plus some improved art assets. Hell even the recent GTA release was too. It was just handled by inept imbeciles. 

A good remake example is Tomb Raider Anniversary, a from the ground up new game using the original as essentially a template or guide.

2 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Not saying you are wrong. However, given the thread title, the OP probably is referring to rerelease that adds more content and QoL features as a remaster. In that sense, Quake Live would definitely qualify since that is a rerelease of Quake 3 with much more content and QoL features that Q3 didn't have.

I'd quite like to experience the doom RPG titles, since I've played most other doom games

For me it would be Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny. Though, I would love to see the Mac version ported to mobile and maybe even the Nintendo Switch. It just feels like that one would work far more naturally on a mobile device or handheld than the DOS game. It feels more like an arcade game in the Mac style.

It would be cool to have a rerelease that includes both versions, though, and maybe a built-in level editor, and definitely leaderboards to compete with others over scores. 

Though, a remastered bundle of RTCW + Wolfenstein 2009 would be even better. I’d love to see the Xbox versions content added in to RTCW and be able to play that on PC. 

Edited by 7Mahonin

Absolutely bring Quake III back. An official re-release of QII would make sense and I'd play it, even if there are source ports.