Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Murdoch

Apparently Someone is Mad Enough to Make a Duke Nukem Movie

1 hour ago, Zulk RS said:

Wasn't Detective Pikachu and the Sonic Movie really good though? I haven't watched either but I have heard that both were genuinely good movies. So maybe Videogame movie = bad is no longer applicable?

The whole "video game movies bad" thing just comes off as a mindless self-regurgitating narrative these days. There's more than enough serviceable and above adaptations out there. Yet each and every time a new one comes out we're subjected to yet more "the video game movie curse is finally broken!" comments and thinkpieces, like when you have to come up with something to say about the latest adaptation this is just the autopilot mode everyone is in, and can never grow out of.

I don't know how you would make a tactful and engaging Duke Nukem movie. It's certainly not a unique problem in that the IP/character is one of countless products that are a very transparent result of Gen Xers being at the forefront of a new growing form of media just doing raw, unabashed riffing of beloved pop culture they grew up with in their formative years. Sometimes it coalesces into something that feels unique and inspired enough on its own merit, like Doom, and other times it just feels more like a primordial hodgepodge of rerefences, which is moreso the case with Duke. I suppose the only recourse is to inject at least some form of commentary around that. But just having an earnest 80s/90s action throwback movie playing it straight (that isn't buried in cynical corporate nostalgia bait) can also be enough to feel downright refreshing in today's movie climate, which I guess Top Gun Maverick demonstrated.

Thinking about it some more, playing into the whole generational thing and starring Duke as an older character, maybe juxtaposed against someone younger in a sort of buddy cop dynamic could be a fun and apt premise. I mean, that's pretty much what they did with Ash Vs Evil Dead.

Edited by lazygecko

1 hour ago, Zulk RS said:

Operation: Body Count Movie when?

No, no, there's need to have a Alien Cabal movie first!

Anyway, i just saw some trailers on Netflix of Cobra Kai, but i don't know how it is in it's entirety but from that it looks fun, so i don't know how a Duke Nukem movie will be, just a silly over-the-top action movie with lots of explosion and humor... Just like the 80s/90s movies like Die Hard, Predator, True Lies, Lethal weapon and the like. So it could be kinda good or complete shit.

2 hours ago, lazygecko said:

Thinking about it some more, playing into the whole generational thing and starring Duke as an older character, maybe juxtaposed against someone younger in a sort of buddy cop dynamic could be a fun and apt premise. I mean, that's pretty much what they did with Ash Vs Evil Dead.

If they do a buddy-cop kind of thing where one's the more grizzled, serious and by-the book type and the other is more of golden-hearted loose cannon who is equal parts badass and goofball; then Duke should be the loose-cannon despite being the older and more experienced of the duo would probably be funny.

4 hours ago, scalliano said:

We are at the stage in the entertainment industry that having a straight-up action hero IS the subversion

No. That is just the norm. So far, the industry has been mostly paying lip service to progressive causes, but remains firmly and deeply conservative to its core. Thor: Ragnarok is still a Thor movie, even if Valkyrie can take care of herself and is not Thor's love interest.

There are countless works in recent years where a main character who is, shall we say, "vanilla", is sidelined in the story, has his entire character retconned into being some kind of arsehole with no redeeming qualities or, in some cases, is just outright killed off

I doubt that you can even name a handful of works that actually do what you claim they are doing.

Also, you might want to refrain from referring to a character as "vanilla", as this is sounding dangerously close like a bigoted dogwhistle, especially after your random jab at Tessa Thompson.

Somewhere along the way it was decided that boys didn't need role models anymore

Utter reactionary nonsense. Boys never had it better in terms of role models: outside of the never-ending flood of superheroes, we have been getting some amazing shows and movies lately starring memorable masculine character - Cobra Kai being one of them.

It is also kind of sexist to imply that boys cannot look up to feminine characters. 

Edited by Rudolph

I’ll care when there’s a release date and trailer. This isn’t the first time they’ve said something along these lines of a movie being “in development” only for it to get cancelled before any serious work has been done on it. 

4 hours ago, lazygecko said:

There's more than enough serviceable and above adaptations out there.

Are there tho? 

I just can't believe we're at the point where people are unironically looking forward to a Duke Nukem movie of all things lmao. Just watch Army of Darkness and They Live ahahahahahaha 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I just can't believe we're at the point where people are unironically looking forward to a Duke Nukem movie of all things lmao.

Well, I do not know. As I said, I really love Cobra Kai, so much so even that I am crossing my fingers that they end the show soon before it jumps the shark, so I cannot deny being intrigued by the announcement. 

I am not holding my breath, of course, but if they can make a compelling show about Johnny Lawrence of all characters, then who knows?

I've just disconnected myself from hyping up videogame movies because they all kinda suck and I'm not sold on the idea that I need my favorite franchise to be represented on film. I don't enjoy Resident Evil or Doom any more or less because they get movies, I don't even think of the films. They don't translate...games are games and not movies. You can't communicate the same things by changing mediums. 

Well, I do enjoy watching video game cutscenes edited together. I guess just taking those and fleshing them out into proper movies with new footage and improved visuals is not something Hollywood is willing to do. Heck, when the WarCraft movie was first announced, I was expecting it to be essentially a feature-length CG cutscene, since Blizzard is so good at making those; instead, for whatever reason, they chose to make it live-action...

2 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

They Live

Pretty much the Duke Nukem movie already if you ask me. Or, technically I guess Duke Nukem 3D took inspiration from it. Hell, Roddy Piper with those shades looks like the 3D incarnation of Duke. The classic bubblegum line is even in it, but rephrased. Easily the most badass moment in the film.

A straightforward remake of They Live! would work as a Duke Nukem movie, but seeing how John Carpenter successfully sued Luc Besson over the movie Lockout plagiarizing Espace from New York and Escape from Los Angeles, I doubt he would allow it to happen.

Duke Nukem is no more of a name than he was the last time he came up. This will go nowhere. btw, the political incorrectness aspect is overstated, mainly based in his misongynistic behavior. It would be nice if the babes were more than bimbos obviously, but Hollywood can't be trusted. That is all.

On 6/12/2022 at 1:01 AM, VisionThing said:

I have never seen a video game film adaption that wasn't mediocre at best.

Then clearly you haven’t seen Werewolves Within, Sonic or Detective Pikachu.

22 minutes ago, Spooner5020 said:

When the movies that you're trying to use as prime examples of the specific subgenre they belong to are still averaging critical scores between 4.5-6.0, you aren't making much of a point.

Also, I'm personally not a fan of the whole "well obviously you haven't watched/played/eaten [insert something the person making this argument likes]" as it comes across as egotistical. You're preferences are just that - preferences. Just because you like something doesn't mean it becomes an objectively good thing to everyone else. It reminds me of people who think their taste in whatever they are talking about is so incredible and refiined that they want everyone to "change my view!!".

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

22 hours ago, The BMFG said:

obviously this cinema classic i found on youtube would be 100x better than any duke movie

unknown.png

We got the predators on the loose!!

1 hour ago, Spooner5020 said:

I have not seen Detective Pikachu, but Werewolf Within and Sonic are not exactly what I would call great.

Sonic The Hedgehog turned out better than expected and greatly benefited from Jim Carrey's comedic talents, but much like the live-action Transformers movies, it certainly did not need so many human supporting characters or even take place in modern-day Earth. Maybe it is because I did not grow up with Sonic Adventures and Sonic X, but I never cared much for Sonic and his friends having to interact with realistically-proportioned humans.

5 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I have not seen Detective Pikachu, but Werewolf Within and Sonic are not exactly what I would call great.

Sonic The Hedgehog turned out better than expected and greatly benefited from Jim Carrey's comedic talents, but much like the live-action Transformers movies, it certainly did not need so many human supporting characters or even take place in modern-day Earth. Maybe it is because I did not grow up with Sonic Adventures and Sonic X, but I never cared much for Sonic and his friends having to interact with realistically-proportioned humans.

What did you not like about Werewolves Within? Also it sounds like Sonic 2 may be more what you were looking for.

The only good videogame movie remains Mortal Kombat 1995. Resident Evil 2002 is passable but it's barely a RE film, outside of a mansion that Umbrella screwed up and infested with mutants. As far as I am aware of Sonic -never watched it, never will-, it doesn't even have an pro-environmentalism message. Imagine that, a movie based on a game series that started off with you destroying Robotnik's machines to free the animals inside can't even bring itself to be pro-environment. Shame, really. 

44 minutes ago, Spooner5020 said:

What did you not like about Werewolves Within? Also it sounds like Sonic 2 may be more what you were looking for.

I did not like any of the characters, there is only one werewolf, which is barely in the movie, and when it reveals itself, it is rather underwhelming. Also, it is produced by Ubisoft, a company that I have grown to despise, so it is difficult for me to enjoy anything they involve themselves in.

Furthermore, I am reluctant to consider Werewolves Within a video game movie adaptation to begin with, since it does not share the medieval fantasy setting of the game it is based on, which in turn is just the video game adaptation of the Werewolf/Mafia party game. To me, it would be like making, I do not know, a Splatoon movie that is about regular people playing paintball and nothing else. It feels like a cop-out.

Sonic 2 does look like an improvement, indeed, but it still had to take place in modern-day Earth and involves human characters that I do not care about.

Edited by Rudolph

46 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I did not like any of the characters, there is only one werewolf, which is barely in the movie, and when it reveals itself, it is rather underwhelming. Also, it is produced by Ubisoft, a company that I have grown to despise, so it is difficult for me to enjoy anything they involve themselves in.

Furthermore, I am reluctant to consider Werewolves Within a video game movie adaptation to begin with, since it does not share the medieval fantasy setting of the game it is based on, which in turn is just the video game adaptation of the Werewolf/Mafia party game. To me, it would be like making, I do not know, a Splatoon movie that is about regular people playing paintball and nothing else. It feels like a cop-out.

Sonic 2 does look like an improvement, indeed, but it still had to take place in modern-day Earth and involves human characters that I do not care about.

Yeah, but that’s how the game Werewolves Within is like. The Werewolf doesn’t even show up until the end of the game. I agree not having it take place in a medieval village was kinda odd, but whatever. 

I do not know, they could have shown the werewolf in action more often, but kept you guessing as to its identity or even if there is only one.

In any case, it still feels more like an actual movie and less like a bad attempt to cash in on a known intellectual property. I have got to give it that.

Then again, I had never heard of Werewolves Within before, so maybe there were just not that much material to call back to in the first place.

Does anyone actually like Duke's persona? He's a meat headed overgrown Chad with no thought process outside of fucking and killing. It's really stupid, and not even in a fun way. I love DN3D...but Duke as a character is cringe. 

1 hour ago, Koko Ricky said:

Does anyone actually like Duke's persona? He's a meat headed overgrown Chad with no thought process outside of fucking and killing. It's really stupid, and not even in a fun way. I love DN3D...but Duke as a character is cringe. 

Yes.

I grew up on 80's action films like Commando, Cobra, Raw Deal ect, I know the character is cringe Mr Macho Fuck n Nuke but the over the top "tryhard toughguy" really amuses me, I like it, it's silly yet also appealing when taken seriously.

I imagine it's just like liking giant mecha robots with hilariously impractical weapons, they're a silly idea but they're fun and also kinda cool.

I would argue that giant robots are more versatile than 80s action heroes.

The clip is missing my favorite part, however: "Giants robots shouldn't fight!" :P

I second the notion that Duke was never supposed to be like Postal Dude, and so that continuing to derail a thread like this with pointless and off-topic discussion really isn't the best course of action.

And the movie would be like this and still be good.

What it's this derail of topic.