Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Murdoch

Apparently Someone is Mad Enough to Make a Duke Nukem Movie

44 minutes ago, Jello said:

Maybe, but it had Dave Foley's penis. So that has to count for something, right? Right?

It was a train wreck, but it had some enjoyable moments. Overall, probably the best videogame movie adaptation one could hope for; or at least the most faithful to it's source.

Although I did genuinely enjoy the first Silent Hill movie. That also seemed to be a pretty faithful attempt at adapting the game into a movie. But it probably helped that Silent Hill is far more story oriented.

Postal, on the other hand, was a stretch, seeing as how thread bare the story is. I mean, really one could say that Falling Down was a better Postal movie than the Postal movie. But at least Uwe Boll got shot in the dick.

It interests me how the Postal movie is more like Postal 2, while Boll’s Rampage is more like Postal 1 - and what’s more disturbing than the subject matter is how mildly more competent it felt compared to his other works.

I may be seconding people’s opinion here on the Silent Hill movie with it being one of the better video game movie even in spite of the weird, disappointing, and confusing liberties it took with the story.

The second one was lol.

Edited by BGrieber : I’m a fool of a ‘took!’ At least I think I am

3 hours ago, Deadwing said:

Duke Nukem is like the dream of a 10 years old boy from the 90s, there's a lot you can play with it.

Having just played the Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer demo, I can safely say that Duke Nukem 3D feels mature in comparison. :P

But yeah, I suppose a Duke Nukem movie done in the style of Shazam! with a kid literally becoming Duke Nukem could be one way to go.

Not going to lie... I forgot "mad" has a different connotation across the pond than it does here in the states. I read it as "Some is so pissed off, they are making a Duke Nukem movie"

7 minutes ago, Smoothandz said:

Not going to lie... I forgot "mad" has a different connotation across the pond than it does here in the states. I read it as "Some is so pissed off, they are making a Duke Nukem movie"

Weird. I live in the States and hear people use the word both ways all the time.

"I'm mad at you for kicking my dog!"

"Are you mad? I would never do such a thing!"

2 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Weird. I live in the States and hear people use the word both ways all the time.

Don't get me wrong, I hear it all the time in some of the shows I watch. Top Gear (sorry Grand Tour), Doctor Who, a couple of Youtubers, etc but it's just a phrase not said much here in Arkansas. It was more of a knee-jerk reaction. 

Now, about the topic at hand. Someone absolutely would be mad enough to make a Duke Nukem movie, but I don't think a production company would dump money into that IP. Going the low budget route though would seem really difficult. All enemies would have to be CGI, make-up or props and that just doesn't seem the way to go. I mean, we have all seen low budget B-movies that are great but I don't think Duke Nukem is the IP to do it with.

We all know hollywood HollyWood: Let's take a game from the 90's and make it great! Also HollyWood: But we got to put a bunch of trash in it and sell it as a good movie! Like Morbius!

17 minutes ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

We all know hollywood HollyWood: Let's take a game from the 90's and make it great! Also HollyWood: But we got to put a bunch of trash in it and sell it as a good movie! Like Morbius!

Will Duke say something like “it’s Dukeing time.”?

I still can't believe that people enjoy the Silent Hill movie. It's interesting to see the town on the big screen and hear Akira's music but that's it...it's a woefully bad adaption and a c-grade horror movie taken on it's own. Our standards are really low if this is the highlight! 

38 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I still can't believe that people enjoy the Silent Hill movie. It's interesting to see the town on the big screen and hear Akira's music but that's it...it's a woefully bad adaption and a c-grade horror movie taken on it's own. Our standards are really low if this is the highlight! 

It's been a long time since I watched it... crap... around fifteen years at this point. My opinion of it now very well might be different. But yes, as far as videogame based movies go, our standards are extremely low. They have to be. 

Oh wait, I forgot about Angry Birds! Most faithful videogame to movie adaptation ever! They're both mind numbingly vapid, pointless, and insultingly shallow.

2 hours ago, Smoothandz said:

Haha. That would be funny. I am so angry at the world I am going to make a terrible movie in revenge!

8 hours ago, Captain POLAND said:

The only way this could work is if they make it ironic/a parody.

How does one parody a parody? That's why I am struggling to envision a situation where it works. The character and context is so specific.

Edited by Murdoch

1 hour ago, Murdoch said:

How does one parody a parody? That's why I am struggling to envision a situation where it works. The character and context is so specific.

Duke isn't a parody so much as a general riff on pop culture according to some. Semantics, I guess. I agree with you either way though.

I think a Duke movie could work if done in a Kung Fury-esque style. A lot of franchises that are meant to be “fun action” have been misguidedly adapted in a “dark and brooding and super serious, guys” kind of way and that totally sucks any potential fun and entertainment out of such a property. Hope they don’t do that with Duke. Keep it light overall, but heavy on the action, charm and cheese.

19 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I think a Duke movie could work if done in a Kung Fury-esque style. 

"Tank you."

42 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

"Tank you."

"You gonna need that spine? It's holding your back."

I remember there being a full-length movie in the works for that as well, but that was a while back. It's possible the whole thing is just mired in development hell at this rate.

I'm sorry but what's the point in making a Duke Nukem movie?

Wasn't part of Duke's appeal that you got to play as a silly amalgamation of 80's - 90's action stars, I mean if you wan't to watch a Duke Nukem movie then why not watch all of the films staring famous action movie stars like Shwarzenegger an Stalone that inspired Duke?

On 6/11/2022 at 10:01 PM, VisionThing said:

I have never seen a video game film adaption that wasn't mediocre at best.

You've never seen Postal then. That movie accurately captured the sheer (mean-spirited) insanity of the FPS Postal games.

41 minutes ago, june gloom said:

You've never seen Postal then. That movie accurately captured the sheer (mean-spirited) insanity of the FPS Postal games.

I don’t think it went far enough.

31 minutes ago, Spooner5020 said:

I don’t think it went far enough.

Also, it is a Uwe Boll movie.

13 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Oh yeah, the “best video game movie I’ve seen” isn’t saying a whole lot. At least we’re not looking favorably upon the Resident Evil movies..!

Even if it is not a great movie, I still have fond memories of the very first Resident Evil movie, especially that Marilyn Manson soundtrack!

The movie must have inspired Id Software to an extent, as the opening text of Doom 3 is practically the same.

Also, for what it is worth, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was technologically groundbreaking and reportedly inspired BioWare for Mass Effect.

14 hours ago, Obsidian said:

"You gonna need that spine? It's holding your back."

I remember there being a full-length movie in the works for that as well, but that was a while back. It's possible the whole thing is just mired in development hell at this rate.

Supposely it is coming out this year.

By the way,

tank-you-kung-fury.gif