Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kor

How often do you play the original IWADs?

9 minutes ago, Kor said:

While I can see playing through Doom in its truly original form would be nostalgic, I can't get into the bad sounding music and low screen resolution.  I always do my playthroughs in GZDoom.  

DOSBox has the same MIDI options as any other port, so it can sound as good or as bad as you want! Can't argue with the screen resolution though, I like it nice and chunky and in 4:3; even in GZDoom I rarely if ever go over 480p or use widescreen (lowest 16:10 resolution with the pixelaspect at 1.2). Low resolution just makes Doom so sparkly and nice!

4 hours ago, 7Mahonin said:

Hexen, though, any chance I can get 2 other people to play through it in one sitting where each player plays as one of the 3 classes so that each character is in the game, I take it, because that is some of the best coop moments I've ever had in a game and honestly feel the game plays even better this way due to the weapon limit per class.

If you ever need a third, think of me! I've never had an opportunity to play Hexen co-op but have always wanted to.

Rarely. And if I play original content it is mostly Doom E1. The other Doom 1 episodes get a lot less coverage, Doom 2 and UD even less than those.

I play the iwads on regular basis despite their familiarity and easiness - although recently I played them on pistol starts for the flrst time, which was a refreshing experience. Also E1-E3 on saveless at the same time.

With all their primitive design I still find them enjoyable, but I guess that’s precisely because of their familiarity and nostalgic value. It’s like flexing my Doom muscles, warm-ups for more serious endeavours.

Only if there's some self-imposed challenge to it. Speedrun, -fast or NM, Tyson et.c.

I might revisit Final DOOM with or without such modifiers because I've not played them with the MIDI packs, which are stellar.

Only when I'm testing out mods. I just don't have the time to really bother. Possibly if I record some speedruns....

I play Dooms 1 & 2 as a whole through maybe once or twice a year. I do enjoy running through my favorite maps for fun rather often though.

Less and less and less as time has gone on, honestly. I've ripped through E1 and E4 more than a few times, but I think I've only played through Doom 2 all the way twice. I think the next time I decide to play through D2's campaign again, I might use Supercharge to spice things up a bit. That's if I can pull myself away from the endless supply of amazing new maps, which seems unlikely. ;^)

i'll play through map02 for shits n giggles if a wad only contains a single map, but other than that i don't really play them. custom content has spoiled me to the point where i'm just not a big fan of them nowadays, even if they are still classics

i still play Doom 2 and Plutonia occasionally, along with Thy Flesh Consumed. but i haven't played Doom's OG episodes in forever, and i'm happy never playing Evilution ever again.

I don't unless I'm playing with mods. I actually think original IWADs suck, except for maybe Plutonia. Imo they're very ugly and boring and I didn't play them as a kid so I don't feel nostalgic about the IWADs but I still appreciate them for what they are - a product of its time that paved the way for community content that is a lot, A LOT better..

Almost never, I'd rather play something the community made instead; as that is what Doom is to me at this point.   

I've played through every IWAD on UV at least twice pistol-start, with TNT being the exception. The only one I really go back to nowadays is Plutonia for kicks and for mapping inspiration

16 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I do it for IMP'S SONG

I'd also do it for Imp's Song (one of my absolute favourites!) but because of the fact that most wads I play are made for Doom 2 I'm mostly greeted by the weird samba of Underhalls when a wad only has one level.

Occasionally after I've done a lot of changes to a mod and then go to test it, I get sucked into the game and what was meant as just a quick check ends up being me trekking through a dozen levels of Doom or Doom 2.

I play Doom 2 at least once a week to test new mods.

I boot up Ultimate Doom somewhat often because it's really fun.

I try a complete Plutonia run about once a year.

It's been ages since I've played Evilution and I haven't even played half the maps in Master Levels.

At the very least, once a year. That could be anything from just playing an episode or a whole iwad, from Doom to Plutonia, vanilla or otherwise.

On 6/14/2022 at 6:09 AM, AdNauseam said:

the weird samba of Underhalls

*salsa

:-)

53 minutes ago, Noiser said:

*salsa

:-)

Thanks,  alyways like to learn about music genres!

Seems like I have to research the differences between Samba and Salsa a bit!

Tbh if The Healer Stalks was a Samba song, it would be a net positive for Doom 2 on the whole and I'd probably play it more than once a year ;P

On 6/13/2022 at 3:36 AM, Remilia Scarlet said:

Quite often, actually. Usually around once every month or two. Generally I play Doom 1 or Doom 64 more often, since those have far fewer levels that I dislike (I tend to sigh and groan once i reach Doom 2 maps 9 and 10).

That's just Doom 1 and 2, though. I rarely play Final Doom.

Pretty similiar here, i play Doom and Doom 64 more than Doom 2.

Because of the Switch Ports the Number of Playthroughts went up, as its sometimes nice to just hop in on the Couch.

Had a quick playthrough of both iwad's on my Switch, even save-less pistol starts on UV it was still too easy (well UD ep4 was hard). It's strange how ingrained the levels are in my head, seemed to remember where most of the secrets were, even though last time I finished both games would have been on PSX.

I have no plans to revisit the iwad's though, more than a life's worth of high quality pwad's to work through.

Half-way through Heretic's iwad though, missed out on that one back in the day.

I play them to practice speedruns and play my favourite maps, although I only do a full run of Doom/Doom 2 once or twice a year.

I play through the official IWADs very often, especially Doom 1 and Doom 2. Sometimes I want to play mods I recently downloaded, I don't bother looking for a custom mapset and some others just to have fun for some minutes or one hour

I play the original three episodes of Doom once a year, I play Doom 2 only when my life depends on it. 

I play Final Doom on and off throughout the entire year, mostly Plutonia. 

It' sort of on and off. They're perfect to play with a new mod, so often if I find a cool mod I will run it over DOOM II. I do go back and play it without any mods though when I want to go through from start to finish. I not too long ago went through episodes 1 and 2 of DOOM, need to finish 3, and after that I will play 4 and finish up with Sigil. 

Probably 85-90% of my Doom playing is original iwads. You can see on Steam I have over 100 hours in Doom II and nearly 200 hours in Ultimate Doom, because my preferred way is the original games in DOSBox.

But of course, I know those levels like the back of my hand. So checking out some of the community's best and brightest's work is nice too, to shake things up. I'm really liking Memento Mori, which I've gotten into recently. Good levels for '96.

Edit: Also a level I made about 2 years ago that's been sitting around forever at maybe 90% complete but I'm too lazy to go finish it. I play that level through Doom Builder a lot. 

Every now and again. I like to play through episode 1 a lot since it's a decent crash course in Doom level design, especially for newbies. I appreciate it's very intuitive level layouts & consistently simple but nice looking aesthetic. Everything in it makes sense, so that simplicity factor is probably it's biggest draw for me personally.

Edited by Residue