Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sito1000

How to show a monster but stop it from attacking

Question

I'm working on a level containing some arch-viles behind bars that I want to allow through a teleporter once a switch is pressed, but I want them to stay visible during the fight without attacking the player or being killable. Is there a way to have bars be transparent but act as solid walls? (Working in doom builder 2, zdoom, doom in doom format)

Archvile1.png

11 answers to this question

It's pretty easy to do something like that with a self-referencing sector. Put in a sector close to the bars on the inside. Raise the floor of it to or almost to the ceiling. Leave the lower sides untextured.

Set all the lindefs to have their front side facing inward. Each sector has a number. You want to manually edit the linedefs of that self-referencing sector and set the sector number of the back side of the linedef to the same as the sector number of the front side. Thus you have a wall you can see through, but can't attack the Arch-Viles through.

1 hour ago, Tyler-J said:

using udmf is the defintive way for mapping nowadays.

Not to start a shit flinging contest or anything but that's definitely not true. There's still a lot of interest in vanilla, Boom, MBF, heck even EDGE. Just because certain things are easier in UDMF doesn't mean it's the most ideal format or that the mapper should change their project to it.

Also message to OP, it would be wise to state the mapping format and editor you're using in your post, that way we can help better. Glad everything worked out for you.

22 hours ago, Sito1000 said:

I put in parentheses at the end of the post?

I missed that mate, sorry. Good on ya!

59 minutes ago, Sito1000 said:

I'm working on a level containing some arch-viles behind bars that I want to allow through a teleporter once a switch is pressed, but I want them to stay visible during the fight without attacking the player or being killable. Is there a way to have bars be transparent but act as solid walls? (Working in doom builder 2, zdoom, doom in doom format)

Archvile1.png

yes in doombuilder on the line properties just check off block projectiles and  block monster line of sight or even simply block everything

3 minutes ago, Tyler-J said:

yes in doombuilder on the line properties just check off block projectiles and  block monster line of sight

Not seeing it in the linedefs options, sure you're referring to the right configuration?

linedefproblem1.png

interesting you must be using regular doom format, which is odd because I remember there was an option somewhere. are you vanilla mapping for specific reason? using udmf is the defintive way for mapping nowadays. i"m really sorry i couldnt help you further.

1 minute ago, Tyler-J said:

interesting you must be using regular doom format, which is odd because I remember there was an option somewhere. are you vanilla mapping for specific reason? using udmf is the defintive way for mapping nowadays.

No, this is only my second map and I wasn't very familiar with the formats when I started it. For future reference, would I need to convert to ultimate doom builder to make use of UDMF (I'm using doom builder 2 because that's what I first found tutorials for).

41 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

It's pretty easy to do something like that with a self-referencing sector. Put in a sector close to the bars on the inside. Raise the floor of it to or almost to the ceiling. Leave the lower sides untextured.

Set all the lindefs to have their front side facing inward. Each sector has a number. You want to manually edit the linedefs of that self-referencing sector and set the sector number of the back side of the linedef to the same as the sector number of the front side. Thus you have a wall you can see through, but can't attack the Arch-Viles through.

Took a bit of fiddling but that worked, thanks!

35 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Not to start a shit flinging contest or anything but that's definitely not true. There's still a lot of interest in vanilla, Boom, MBF, heck even EDGE. Just because certain things are easier in UDMF doesn't mean it's the most ideal format or that the mapper should change their project to it.

Also message to OP, it would be wise to state the mapping format and editor you're using in your post, that way we can help better. Glad everything worked out for you.

Good to know (to the first part). Would the editor and format mean more than the info I put in parentheses at the end of the post?

actually no UDMF legit stands for universal doom map format. which means simply you can do shit without having to come on this forum as much. as a mapper that's first starting out I HIGHLY SUGGEST UDMF. unless you enjoy looking up old depreciated shit just to be "purist". that's masochistic thinking. and I also suggest checking out chubzdoomer on youtube. he has alot of information and tutorials old and new.

Edited by Tyler-J