Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raymoohawk

ssd size

is having a big ssd important? i've heard that ssds are good as daily drivers but that it is better to store things on hdd, is that true?

36 minutes ago, raymoohawk said:

is having a big ssd important? i've heard that ssds are good as daily drivers but that it is better to store things on hdd, is that true?

The larger the SSD's capacity is the better, because the more space that is taken up on an SSD, the slower the SSD becomes.

People usually make their system's boot drive be the SSD for faster bootup times and overall faster operating system speed, while at the same time using a traditional hard drive for storage, because higher capacity SSDs can still be very, very expensive. 

I have a 1TB ssd as a boot drive, and I put things on it that would benefit from faster load times, i.e. most modern games, memory intensive programs.

I have a 1TB hdd (the one that originally came with the PC) for older games, storage, stuff that really doesn't need the fast read/write speed of an SSD.

Considering they get slower the more data is stored, it's best to go as big as you can feasibly afford. Shoot, 1TB Samsung ssd's are going for $100 now. That's an absolute steal considering I paid around $400-500 for mine, I think that was around 2015. And it still works very well.

Storage isn't something you should really low-ball, get as much as you can afford. Because you will end up using it.

Edit: But yes, I would say 250gb is probably too low, unless you're only planning on using it as a boot/OS drive. 500 would be my minimum advice. And a lot will depend on the games you play. Nowadays it seems like more and more games are needing 50-100gb, and those are the games that will benefit from an SSD, particularly when it comes to load times.

Edited by Jello

7 hours ago, raymoohawk said:

i see, do you think a 250 gig ssd is too low?

I think the biggest problem is that 250GB drives aren't that much cheaper than 500GB ones.  For example a 250GB drive might cost $40 and a 500GB $45.  They're also typically slower since they won't have as many NAND chips to parallelize over.  Unless you're on a very tight budget, or you only use the computer for web browsing and would never fill it up anyway, there's no reason to go lower than 500GB.

id say so especially if you have alot of steam games. my 1 tb default hard drive is nearly 100% taken up now but a couple weeks ago i got a 5 tb external drive and its a life saver.