Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr Masker

Oldest game you've actually enjoyed.

On 6/18/2022 at 10:54 AM, heliumlamb said:

i love to play 40 year old video games to smooth my brain out. 

Holy fuck this made me DIE laughing! Any time anyone asks me why I like older games, that’ll be my response.

L'Aigle d'Or.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/laigle-dor

One of the earliest graphical adventure games. Never actually finished it; like most games of the era it's trial and error until you find the proper way to avoid dying, and there are many red herrings and soft locks. But it was so exciting to discover a secret passage or figure out how to escape a trap!

I'm going to weigh in with one of the grand-daddies of roguelikes, The Dungeons of Moria (1983).

I spent countless hours trying, but never succeeding, to destroy the Balrog, which lives deep in the dungeon.

The original creator has sadly passed away, July 2022 (via rec.games.roguelike.moria). Rest in Peace and Glory, "RAK" Robert.

Spoiler

moria_005.png.9434de6562a39c73ac521a406e65d6f4.pngmoria_007.png.8ba31577dc7f872e28cb91e4b375c588.pngmoria_015.png.02a40184cdead5cc56a8315181010ce2.pngmoria_020.png.e9a14d40b31cca3c4c6ce274f1d9463a.png

Spacewar! (1962)

The premise is simple enough, 2 players each control a spaceship and shoot torpedoes at one another. It controls more or less like Asteroids, with zero G esque physics and tank controls. The weapons have a cooldown making it very strategic deciding when to shoot your load. There's also a black hole type of thing in the center which allows you to slingshot past it and orbit around, making for interesting stage usage.

It predates Pong by a good 10 years, and is way more interesting to play. It's pretty simple but the whole thing is mindgames between the 2 players, and it's even entertaining enough to watch others play. My whole college class was basically very taken with it for a few hours when a lot of early Atari stuff and the like didn't really hold up nearly as well. We played on a projector screen on an emulated/ported version though, not using an oscilloscope or anything. Very cool 1v1 game for being 60 years old, it was slapped together by a few MIT types as a demonstration for one of their new computer systems.

On 8/15/2022 at 1:45 AM, Lucius Wooding said:

Spacewar! (1962)

The premise is simple enough, 2 players each control a spaceship and shoot torpedoes at one another. It controls more or less like Asteroids, with zero G esque physics and tank controls. The weapons have a cooldown making it very strategic deciding when to shoot your load. There's also a black hole type of thing in the center which allows you to slingshot past it and orbit around, making for interesting stage usage.

Hm i can swear i played something similiar, must have been a cheap Clone on Windows that came on a cheap 100 Games on one Disc.

Hmm now i want my Majong with Easter Eggs.

Edit: Literally colored Eggs you have to match.

If I had to pick an old game I sincerely enjoy playing, like more than 5 minutes for just a nostalgia hit...

Jumpin Jackson from the Amiga. Love them beats and simple gameplay didn't age too badly.

Edited by Chezza

On 6/14/2022 at 10:35 AM, Azuris said:

I also had a space Simulation on the Commodore, i can not remember the Name, was from a Cockpit Perspective and you travelled through "Hyper Space" to Planet Surfaces.

So i couldn't sleep really this Night, perfectly to search the Internet for a Game i played in a Time when i wasn't even able to read.
And i found it and i am still surprised how well i rembered it (the Effect on the Surface, the Hyper Space, the Planet Selection).

It is called Star Raiders II

star-raiders-ii_2.png

star-raiders-ii_3.png

star-raiders-ii_1.png

Spoiler

On 8/14/2022 at 6:11 PM, beast said:

I'm going to weigh in with one of the grand-daddies of roguelikes, The Dungeons of Moria (1983).

I spent countless hours trying, but never succeeding, to destroy the Balrog, which lives deep in the dungeon.

The original creator has sadly passed away, July 2022 (via rec.games.roguelike.moria). Rest in Peace and Glory, "RAK" Robert.

Didn't play this but my introduction to the world of Tolkien was through the text adventure the Hobbit for ZX Spectrum, it came with the novel included in the big box.

I do remember playing a rogue-like on the Speccy around that time, it came with the speech plug-in unit. It said everything in the log phonetically, which was hilarious especially as one of the enemies was an aardvark. 

Jm3ZPPx.pngyLW58hL.png

Sasuke vs. Commander, SNK, 1980. A simple Space Invaders-esque shooter with some fascinating innovations like the first ever boss battles! The "suicide bullet" mechanic that often appears in modern shmups makes its debut here as well, in the form of the falling corpses of the ninjas you shoot down.

Damn game's older than I am, and it's still fun.

Adventure for Atari 2600. I played it on my Atari Flashback (Im not too old heh), and loved the game. Fun exploration and found the first Easter Egg in history.

Spyro: Gateway to Glimmer was always a game that i would revisit from time to time back when I had a working PS2. I've got the remastered trilogy, but it just doesn't feel right without those old but charming graphics and environments

Probably Megaman X on the SNES is the probably the oldest game I can think of. I can pretty much pick it up at any time and just play through it right up until the last few stages before quitting or getting bored. It's practically a comfort game for me.

5 hours ago, Razza said:

Spyro: Gateway to Glimmer was always a game that i would revisit from time to time back when I had a working PS2. I've got the remastered trilogy, but it just doesn't feel right without those old but charming graphics and environments

The original Spyro is another one of those comfort games for me. Whenever I start playing I usually get most of the way through in one sitting. I've always loved the way the OG Spyro trilogy looked, especially the magic Crafters stages. Could just be nostalgia talking but I feel the original games still hold up really well when emulated in HD.

I remember when I was young I got into play fights with my siblings sometimes.

I'm pretty sure that that's the oldest 'game' in the world, as great apes and other animals do it, and our hominid ancestors were probably doing it millions of years ago. If more primitive creatures like lizards and fish did it, it could even be hundreds of millions of years old.

2 hours ago, Captain POLAND said:

I remember when I was young I got into play fights with my siblings sometimes.

I'm pretty sure that that's the oldest 'game' in the world, as great apes and other animals do it, and our hominid ancestors were probably doing it millions of years ago. If more primitive creatures like lizards and fish did it, it could even be hundreds of millions of years old.

Nah I'm pretty sure tiddlywinks predates it by several eons.