Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr Masker

Oldest game you've actually enjoyed.

16 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I respect the Atari, Intellivision, and Commodore era, but games from that era are generally a teeny bit below what I'd like in my games. Not by much though.. And same goes for mid 80s DOS games.

I feel the same way...I've played a lot of retro games but since my first console was the SNES I kind of use that generation as an anchor point where games beforehand usually feel too simplistic. 

21 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I feel the same way...I've played a lot of retro games but since my first console was the SNES I kind of use that generation as an anchor point where games beforehand usually feel too simplistic. 

Most Super Nintendo Games just learned what was wrong with the Games on the NES and marched on from the Arcade Style to a Home one.

That and better Hardware, including Controller.

Same happend in my Opinion from the PSX/N64 to the PS2/GC.

Many 3D Games controlled super clunky.

I think it would have to be the first Duke Nukem game (the 1991 shooting platformer). Didn't play it in years, but I would like to revisit it one day.

The oldest games that I actually still enjoy would be:

Dune 2 (1992)
Lemmings (1991)

Catacombs (1990)

I replayed all of these last year and they're still a lot of fun. There's obviously high nostalgia value having played them all on release, but they still stand up 30 years later.

Super Mario Bros on Famicom (NES). It was the 2nd video game I've played in my life. I was 4 years old back then and, I believe, it is the oldest game I've played on a real hardware.

P.S: the first game was Duck Hunt, but I eventually chewed off the barrel and the gun stopped working right. Yeah, I was a fool.

I recall playing a game with bright red bricks when I was little, at my mother's friend's house (she was an accountant). Only later would I find out it was Dangerous Dave by Id! I did like that one, but I was a kid so ...

Other than that, Doom is the oldest one. I guess it makes sense, I am fairly young and was not there in the heyday of NES/SNES (or even PS1).

Oldest that I can enjoy but not really care returning back to? Pitfall and Berzerk from Atari.

Oldest that I can enjoy and return to again and again? NES classics like SMB1-3, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, and a few others.

the oldest game I've played and enjoyed was this ping pong game on this brown box, where the controller was just a wheel to modify the position of your beam.

Probably SMB1 and at times Lost Levels.

Of course not on an NES, but not emulated either.

Instead on my G&W SMB Edition, I got it when they could still get ordered.

Oldest game I've truly enjoyed, probably the classic sonic games for the Mega Drive, those epic remakes of the Master System games, Sonic CD and I guess SMB3, SMW and Yoshi's Island.

Edited by Codename_Delta

love sundog, starflight and ultima 4, mid-80s stuff. never played atari 800 or anything, atari st is more my scene!

One of my favourite games ever is Asteroids (1979) -- it's older than I am!

There's something I absolutely love about the purity of those simple black and white wireframes though. For that, I regularly cite it unironically as having some of the 'best' game graphics ever; certainly in terms of raw function-over-form, there's little that can be done to improve on it.

Like many others here my oldest favorites would all be on the Atari 2600, though my collection is extremely modest compared to some here. I can’t be bothered now to figure out which is the oldest of the games I really like, because it is worth noting I don’t like all of the ones I have.

If I limit myself to PC games it’d probably be Rogue, which I’ve spent countless hours playing (though still never beaten). I’ve mostly played the DOS version which is copyrighted 1983 and would put even that version as old as some of the earliest NES games. I think there’s minor changes between the DOS version and the original 1980 Unix version but in either case it’s far and away the oldest computer game I play routinely.

I think the first Game i did really enjoy was Donal Ducks Playground on the C64.
Between 2-4 Years you clearly suck at Games, but that one could be played without long loading Sessions after failing.
Sometimes i messed around in the Game where you had to catch and sort Fruits, because it was funny to see Donald being angry.

The Internet does not disappoint, there is a Gid, but without hearing him, it is half as funny :P

DonaldDucksPlgMarktAnimation.gif

The most disapointing Game was Ninja Turtles, the same that also exists on the NES.
Even trying it as an Adult, it sucks.
Turtles in Time saved my love for Video Games besides Mario World haha

Another Game that isn't aaas bad, but still needs more polish is Tower of Terror on the C64.

TT10.png

Choplifter on the C64 was also pretty playable for a little Kid.

Thinking about Games i didn't had back then and are pretty playable today are the NES Games Super Mario and Zelda, even if you need a Map with Hints for Zelda.

Especially Mario has very good Mechanics and Level Design.

If i compare it to Donkey Kong, "Jumpman" has such a strange Momentum, it wasn't playable for me back then.

I also had a space Simulation on the Commodore, i can not remember the Name, was from a Cockpit Perspective and you travelled through "Hyper Space" to Planet Surfaces.

I have no Idea what i did there, but it was fun to watch the pseudo 3D Effect.

Btw. all in black and white haha, we had to use an old TV for Games for the Commodore.

I have always liked Donald Duck's Playground - great presentation and fun to play.

Another great game with fantastic music is duotris for the C64.

On the VCS2600 I really dug "Monster Attack".

I have been playing video games back in the late 70's. That stuff was primitive as hell but back in the day nothing better existed. Of couse I enjoyed playing them. Would I still enjoy them with all the knowledge of the last 40+ years? I really don't know.

Recently I played Arcade Pong from 1972 in this museum (https://www.arcadehry.cz/) and it was really fun due to the antient controls (rotary knobs or how to call it).

On computer I could name tons of games on ZX or ATARI 800XT but I would point out Agent USA or Skool Daze. Both were kind of unique in that time.

Gotta be Alley Cat (1984). Back in 1993, on my first ever PC, which I only had for a year.

I like Asteroids but I sometimes have fun playing some Pong. I've played that 1960s Spacewar! game as well and I thought it was interesting.

I would have to say dungeon keeper. that's a gem that deserves to be played at least once if you haven't.