Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
El Jeff

2 ENEMY COMMUNITY PROJECT [DEVELOPMENT THREAD]

@ONETAPPYBOI Thank you very much for the feedback!

Sorry for the very easy difficulty of my entry.

For this community project with these two enemy types I had an idea of something like "old-good abandoned spacebase".

Because of that I do not wanted to create a slaughterfest with thousands of zombiemans & lost souls.

About rocket launcher - that was just small candy, so you can blast some enemies in the opening closets.

As for buttons for closed quarters - this is optional detail for mere interactivity.

Here is, "Version #2"!

(*) Changed sky for more "seamless" one.

(*) Fixed few HOMs in the toilet stall.

(*) Fixed wrong texture in the corner quarter.

(*) Deleted unnecessary secret with rockets.

(*) Re-aligned texture of vertical vent.

(*) Moved guts that was stuck mid-air.

(*) Fixed lighting above bookshelf in the office.

Here is a V2. Good luck with compilation!

Edited by RastaManGames

On 7/8/2022 at 7:22 PM, memeboi said:

MAP NAME: Pillar room

Map Format: Boom

Author: Memeboi

Music: Dottie | https://dripchord.com/dottie-free-trap-wav-loop/

Difficulty Settings: It's the same at all difficulty settings

Ports Tested: I tested it only on GZdoom, it should also work on prboom+ now 

Description: There's a misterious room containing pillars and scientists tried to study it but something went wrong

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

Download (fixed):

Pillarroom.7z

This map gives off heavy 90-s vibes, and so i am assuming you're new to mapping. 

Here is some advice to make your map better:
1) It is generally agreed upon by the community that 128 unit long doors should be at least 16 units in width and have FLAT20 as their ceiling texture, whereas your doors are all over the place in both width and ceiling texture;
2) The red & blue switches that open are kinda dumb and the teleports in the final area are also not ideal. For the former, a voodoo doll conveyor is ideal; for the latter, i recommend joining the monster closets with the are where the player actually has to shoot something, as you can just do the final area without shooting and thus without the monsters teleporting in. I have made a small example wad to showcase how you can use boom conveyor belts for triggering something that isn't a door with a locked switch: door&teleporterdemonstration.rar

3) The floor texture on the wires shouldn't be the same as the floor since they blend in. Change it from FLAT1 to CEIL5_1 - a texture, which is more computery. 
4) Speaking of computers, they get quite repetitive, with them only using COMPWERD. I would suggest using a mix of COMPTALL and COMPWERD so that it doesn't feel quite as repetitive. 
5) The same issue i described here, except that it also applies to some non-secret and non-trap walls.

On 7/1/2022 at 9:55 PM, ONETAPPYBOI said:

This map contains an oversight i see a lot: Lines facing traps and secrets aren't marked as "Show 1-sided on an automap", so you can see traps in advance and you can find 4/5 secrets just by looking at the automap.

6) Speaking of secrets, the first secret (The one with the armor) is completely unmarked, i would suggest misaligning the texture a little to give the player a clue.

lmao i made million custom textures but then i saw that we have to use stock ones only lool time to re texture everything

1 hour ago, TheOxingey said:

lmao i made million custom textures but then i saw that we have to use stock ones only lool time to re texture everything

I’m thinking of changing the rules to allow a maximum of 5 textures 

@Thatonespymain Just to confirm, these maps are limit removing, right? I finished designing a room to find that it went over the visplane limit (what else is new), and want to know whether that's an issue.

Another question: I'm currently working with the vanilla doom2 map format. I'm pretty sure that's what complevel 9 would imply, just wanted to verify that's the case?

Layout's about 75% done:
image.png.efbc601d5c211ce5c7d18c3fe56f14b1.png

35 minutes ago, SuperPecanMan said:

Another question: I'm currently working with the vanilla doom2 map format. I'm pretty sure that's what complevel 9 would imply, just wanted to verify that's the case?

"Boom: Doom 2 (Doom format)" configuration in UDB. It has more stuff than vanilla (such as generalized actions or boom specials).

A pure vanilla map will probably work on cl9, but there may be some differences (e.g boom will disallow tag 0 instead of breaking map, monsters won't get stuck in doors and other things like that).

26 minutes ago, Doomy__Doom said:

"Boom: Doom 2 (Doom format)" configuration in UDB. It has more stuff than vanilla (such as generalized actions or boom specials).

While true, I would personally prefer to use vanilla to keep it more focused. I'm pretty sure PRBOOM can handle the maps being in different formats, as I imagine some people would prefer to utilize the boom functionality.

18 hours ago, ONETAPPYBOI said:

This map gives off heavy 90-s vibes, and so i am assuming you're new to mapping. 

Here is some advice to make your map better:
1) It is generally agreed upon by the community that 128 unit long doors should be at least 16 units in width and have FLAT20 as their ceiling texture, whereas your doors are all over the place in both width and ceiling texture;
2) The red & blue switches that open are kinda dumb and the teleports in the final area are also not ideal. For the former, a voodoo doll conveyor is ideal; for the latter, i recommend joining the monster closets with the are where the player actually has to shoot something, as you can just do the final area without shooting and thus without the monsters teleporting in. I have made a small example wad to showcase how you can use boom conveyor belts for triggering something that isn't a door with a locked switch: door&teleporterdemonstration.rar

3) The floor texture on the wires shouldn't be the same as the floor since they blend in. Change it from FLAT1 to CEIL5_1 - a texture, which is more computery. 
4) Speaking of computers, they get quite repetitive, with them only using COMPWERD. I would suggest using a mix of COMPTALL and COMPWERD so that it doesn't feel quite as repetitive. 
5) The same issue i described here, except that it also applies to some non-secret and non-trap walls.

6) Speaking of secrets, the first secret (The one with the armor) is completely unmarked, i would suggest misaligning the texture a little to give the player a clue.

Thank you for the advice, I updated my download. Just one thing, I don't understand what do you mean by the green armor no being marked, in fact there's whole different texture that marks the secret

1 hour ago, Doomy__Doom said:

A pure vanilla map will probably work on cl9, but there may be some differences (e.g boom will disallow tag 0 instead of breaking map, monsters won't get stuck in doors and other things like that).

Boom does not disallow tag 0 events. MBF does, which is merged with boom in UDB.

26 minutes ago, memeboi said:

Thank you for the advice, I updated my download. Just one thing, I don't understand what do you mean by the green armor no being marked, in fact there's whole different texture that marks the secret

Looks like i got my secrets messed up, i meant the one that was just outside the starting hallway.

11 minutes ago, ONETAPPYBOI said:

Looks like i got my secrets messed up, i meant the one that was just outside the starting hallway.

It isn't really unmarked, ther's a faint light coming out of the sector, but if that's too obscure I'll change it

4 minutes ago, memeboi said:

It isn't really unmarked, ther's a faint light coming out of the sector, but if that's too obscure I'll change it

That's a GZDoom thing, as no other ports support dynamic lighting. I played it in DSDA-Doom, and so i didn't see it

10 minutes ago, memeboi said:

i played in pr boom plus and your map was crap to be honest, very bland and dark, i liked some areas, i like red and blu switch area and a big fight at the end, but i also hated that fight, because i dont think you tested it much, you dont have ammo for 100% kills, which isnt a very good level design, also the maze part was stupid, and that sewer area was very, very bad

4 minutes ago, TheOxingey said:

i played in pr boom plus and your map was crap to be honest, very bland and dark, i liked some areas, i like red and blu switch area and a big fight at the end, but i also hated that fight, because i dont think you tested it much, you dont have ammo for 100% kills, which isnt a very good level design, also the maze part was stupid, and that sewer area was very, very bad

I have also wanted to mention the ammo shortage at the end, but forgot. The final area just doesn't have enough ammo to kill everything.

1 minute ago, ONETAPPYBOI said:

I have also wanted to mention the ammo shortage at the end, but forgot. The final area just doesn't have enough ammo to kill everything.

This map doesnt have much ammo in general, also i think that secret ssg is necessary to survival so i dont think it should be secret

13 minutes ago, ONETAPPYBOI said:

That's a GZDoom thing, as no other ports support dynamic lighting. I played it in DSDA-Doom, and so i didn't see it

Fixed it

7 minutes ago, TheOxingey said:

2 minutes ago, ONETAPPYBOI said:

Now there should be enough ammo.

6 hours ago, SuperPecanMan said:

@Thatonespymain Just to confirm, these maps are limit removing, right? I finished designing a room to find that it went over the visplane limit (what else is new), and want to know whether that's an issue.

Layout's about 75% done:
image.png.efbc601d5c211ce5c7d18c3fe56f14b1.png

It’s boom compat, so yes

On 7/8/2022 at 12:22 PM, memeboi said:

MAP NAME: Pillar room

Map Format: Boom

Author: Memeboi

Music: Dottie | https://dripchord.com/dottie-free-trap-wav-loop/

Difficulty Settings: It's the same at all difficulty settings

Ports Tested: I tested it only on GZdoom, it should also work on prboom+ now 

Description: There's a misterious room containing pillars and scientists tried to study it but something went wrong

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

Download (fixed):

Pillarroom.7z

I played through this map, I'd like to point out a few things design-wise that I think could be improved:
1. In most of the map, it is super easy to walk past the bad guys and pick up the item / hit the switch / etc. I think the red key could really use a choke point that gets cut off by a teleport trap or monster closet after you grab it to prevent you from just running away.

2. Speaking of the red key room, I'll echo the sentiment about repetitive texturing, but I'd also like to point out that the way the maze is set up, there is absolutely no chance the imps will ever get the jump on you.  I'd tone down the sound-blocking linedefs, lower the lights, and add a few more loops so the baddies can actually get the jump on and surprise you. Widening it in a few places will also help make it feel less repetitive too.

3. There isn't a point where you aren't on the same level as the enemies, and I feel like the most interesting mancubus fights I've ever encountered almost always involve them having the high ground on you in an area with limited cover. I think adding something like that would help break the monotony.

4. Given the relative chunkiness of the mancubus, I really wanted a rocket launcher in this map, needing to take them down using only the SSG starts to feel tedious and repetitive (to me at least), fast.

Map Name: UAC Infested "Satisfactory"

Format: Explosion

Author: John Carmack

Music: lee jackson - suck this

Difficulty: idk tested only on uv, tell me if there are bugs on other difficulties

Ports Tested: RP Explosion -

Description: ahh hell no, ahother uac base god infested, thank god you have your epic friends: ssg, bfg and rocket loncha! go kill these losers

SATISFACTORY.zip

26 minutes ago, TheOxingey said:

Map Name: UAC Infested "Satisfactory"

Format: Explosion

Author: John Carmack

Music: lee jackson - suck this

Difficulty: idk tested only on uv, tell me if there are bugs on other difficulties

Ports Tested: RP Explosion -

Description: ahh hell no, ahother uac base god infested, thank god you have your epic friends: ssg, bfg and rocket loncha! go kill these losers

SATISFACTORY.zip

There is currently nothing in this map.

Just now, TheOxingey said:

wdym

There are no monsters, and two areas. The starting area is missing a lot of textures.

Just now, Engired said:

There are no monsters, and two areas. The starting area is missing a lot of textures.

crap, i uploaded wrong wad