Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dopaminecloud

Aquaduct - 2 limit-removing maps for Plutonia

Recommended Posts

Love the screenshots, I like the different atmosphere than the generic tech/hell/usual themed atmosphere, I will download this :)

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Final Doom_'The Plutonia Experiment'_"Aquaduct.wad" - MAP01 : "Aquaduct" - UVMax 100% Speedrun Pistol Start.

 

 

Edited by Hitman

Share this post


Link to post

Super-duper little pair of maps. It seems you really don't need any more videos (lol) but I thought I'd do one in Walpurgis anyways.

Kinda tough, but at a level that's not obnoxious, so you've nailed balance, and you've got the flow down nicely as well, it goes from place to place without issue. I'm surprised there's not more comments, actually, but then I guess there's a surprising amount of people who don't have a Wadsmoosh or a Plutonia iwad to use it. Even so, good stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

um, is this vanilla-compatible?

It works perfectly in Crispy Doom (I completed it there), but it crashes in DSDA and its full of HOMs in other ports.

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, eharper256 said:

Kinda tough, but at a level that's not obnoxious, so you've nailed balance, and you've got the flow down nicely as well, it goes from place to place without issue. I'm surprised there's not more comments, actually, but then I guess there's a surprising amount of people who don't have a Wadsmoosh or a Plutonia iwad to use it. Even so, good stuff.

Thank you very much! I will admit however that all enemy placement is first draft and I ended up feeling like it needs no editing, don't know how common that is.

17 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

um, is this vanilla-compatible?

Knew I forgot something. I tested only in Crispy Doom, edited OP.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Dopaminecloud said:

Thank you very much! I will admit however that all enemy placement is first draft and I ended up feeling like it needs no editing, don't know how common that is.

You evidently have a knack for it then, heh. I've seen many perfectly good levels ruined by garbage monster placement (and hold the unpopular opinion that Ancient Aliens is one of them). This is not one of them... although in retrospect perhaps this was a little high for HNTR difficulty which I usually firstplay levels on to get a feel for them.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, eharper256 said:

You evidently have a knack for it then, heh. I've seen many perfectly good levels ruined by garbage monster placement (and hold the unpopular opinion that Ancient Aliens is one of them). This is not one of them... although in retrospect perhaps this was a little high for HNTR difficulty which I usually firstplay levels on to get a feel for them.

Difficulties below UV were not playtested. Would probably need someone to playtest for me to get those ironed out. For now my approach is to try not lower the monster count too much and instead compensate in extra resources. The idea being that people that play lower would still enjoy feeling like the level wasn't emptied for them. Maybe that only works for HMP and I need to change it up for HNTR.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Dopaminecloud said:

Difficulties below UV were not playtested. Would probably need someone to playtest for me to get those ironed out. For now my approach is to try not lower the monster count too much and instead compensate in extra resources. The idea being that people that play lower would still enjoy feeling like the level wasn't emptied for them. Maybe that only works for HMP and I need to change it up for HNTR.

If you don't want to lower the count, monster substitution can work as well, with monsters placed on the same space with only the lower difficulty flag ticked. I get what you mean though about desolate feeling levels sometimes on low difficulties, so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

Share this post


Link to post

I wanted to figure out why this won't run in anything but Crispy Doom - turns out, the TEXTURE1 lump is empty! This will royally fuck most source ports.

 

The best way around this would be to delete the existing PNAMES and TEXTURE lumps and make them fresh from scratch.

 

Set your "base resource archive" as PLUTONIA.WAD, since that's what you're targeting.

 

After you've deleted the PNAMES and TEXTURE lumps, select the two textures you added (the skull ones), right click and add to patch table, then right click again and add to TEXTUREx. As you do this, it's going to ask if you want to create or import a texture list, click YES, and then click "import from base resource archive".

 

This will allow your map to run everywhere, not just Crispy Doom (which apparently has some advanced texture handling going on, that 99% of other ports lack).

 

Also, as a side note, it would be awesome if you packaged this wad with a TXT file!

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I wanted to figure out why this won't run in anything but Crispy Doom - turns out, the TEXTURE1 lump is empty! This will royally fuck most source ports.

Thanks for the clear instructions Doomkid! It should be fixed now. How essential are those TXT files for one and done mini releases? I suppose I could set up a filled out template for myself for the future. I'll quietly update the download link with the change when I get around to it.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×