Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deimos_marine

Favorite Gun in DOOM

The super shotgun without a doubt - you can play at a really fast pace with it, you can blast away at point blank and to top it all you can kill any monster in the game with it. (including the big two)

I love using the super shotgun up close. The only thing is that you have to be careful due to almost no time to dodge (which is why knowing monster patterns helps)

I only use the plasma gun when really desperate, as it doesn't take much skill to use..most of the time.

Ultimate DooMer said:

The super shotgun without a doubt - you can play at a really fast pace with it, you can blast away at point blank and to top it all you can kill any monster in the game with it. (including the big two)

He's got it^. The shotguns are just a ton of fun to use, period. Gibbing the fuckin zombies has appeal to it to, but that's just for fucking around. When u wanna do some serious Dooming, break out your SSG.

The_Aeromaster said:

He's got it^. The shotguns are just a ton of fun to use, period. Gibbing the fuckin zombies has appeal to it to, but that's just for fucking around. When u wanna do some serious Dooming, break out your SSG.

I am not going by numbers, but shouldn't the SSG be able to gib too? It is just as strong as a rocket launcher if used at point blank.
It would be a cool feature...

KoRn said:

I am not going by numbers, but shouldn't the SSG be able to gib too? It is just as strong as a rocket launcher if used at point blank.
It would be a cool feature...

You can do that in EDGE afaik.

In either Doom OR Doom II, I like the shotgun all around. It's fairly fast, the ammo's plentiful and it is satisfying. Ever take down a cybie with one? It's very...satisfying. :)

Oh...and the plasma rifle is great too.

Actually, on second thought, adrenaline-powered fists are really fun too.

I really don't like taking a weapon in higher regard than another, but each weapon does have it's pros and cons.

Fist- Useless, w/Berserk okay I guess, but not against projectile foes.

Chainsaw- A tiny bit overrated, however, it can be used to go up to a single enemy and shake em up a bit so they have no time to attack.

Pistol- Naw.

Shotgun- Pretty good to use when just messing around and sniping, and using your highly developed sidestepping skills (no wait, that's just me). But it becomes obsolete a little later.

Super Shotgun- Awesome. Can pick off distant enemies, and has no trouble with the bigger demons. Only con has to be reload time, and it has a big usage of a small capacity of shells.

Chaingun- The Chaingun is always usually your last resort when you run out of rockets or cells. I personally love this weapon. The fact of just goring those enemies to death with the chaingun is awesome. The con of the chaingun is that when your low on bullets and you go at a big enemy it kinda sucks because bullets are the weakest out of the ammunition.

Rocket Launcher- I'd say the RL is the most fun weapon. Just picking off enemies at a distance is fun. The con? Recoil and lack of ammo.

Plasma Launcher- Rapid gun with the best ammo in the game? I love it. I use more cells with this than the BFG because I only use the BFG on the big enemies as a first round beating to weaken them up a bit. But against anything but the Masterminds and Cybers, the Plasma Launcher is the best weapon.

BFG- Uses to much cells, dude.

-x Kabal x- said:

...Rocket Launcher- I'd say the RL is the most fun weapon. Just picking off enemies at a distance is fun. The con? Recoil and lack of ammo...

What recoil?

The one that kills spammers in one shot..you know who you are.

Edit: ok ok, super shotgun.

When have you ever picked off a distant enemy with the Super Shotgun??? The spread is tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo wide to snipe ANYTHING but a zombie dude with. Hell, you can't snipe an imp 128 x 128 away with it! As for my favorite gun, it'd have to be either the Shotgun or the Plasma Rifle (and, of course, for goofing around, the adreniline fists). The Super Shotgun makes the game too damn easy (though it does increase the amount of enemies you can justifyibly send at a player).

Do you know how satisfying it is to beat e1m8 with only your fist, non-berserked. IMO, the fist yields the most satisfaction.

I like using the Doodlebob to clear out rooms effectively. But I can't forget the Snub-Nut 7200, a little weak, but a personal favorite of mine.

kristus said:

I like the shotgun, plasma, BFG, Chaingun, Rocketlauncher, Chainsaw, Fist and SuperShotgun.

You forgot the pistol.

For me:

plasma rifle > ssg

although usually it´s not possible to use the plasma rifle as much as the ssg.

The great thing about Doom is that it's hard to pick a definite favorite - they all r0x0rs my b0x0rs.

But anyway, there are some weapons I like better than others (though they all rock).

"Favorite" weapons in no particular order:

Shotgun - standard pump-action shotguns are always cool, but I gotta say that this is my all-time fave, because of its ability to throw the enemy back like that (I have yet to see shotguns in other games do it like that).

Db shotgun - as with the sb shotty, this one can hurl enemies back, plus the sound is just kickass. Contrary to some die-hard fans, I don't care nearly as much about the break-barrel reloading (but it was cool at the time).

Chaingun - by modern standards it ain't much, but back then it was a definite favorite - I loved the sound and minigun weapons have always held a special place in my heart (heh).

Plasma gun - I had never seen a futuristic energy weapon like this before, when I first saw it in Doom and it's still my favorite energy weapon of all franchises (second only to the Big Fucking Gun) - it has a certain mushy charm to it.

BFG - now this gun rocks. I love it because it's so damn powerful giving you a sense of invincibility, while still being a little complex to use effectively - plus the way it works is pretty interesting.

Super Shotgun- Awesome. Can pick off distant enemies, and has no trouble with the bigger demons. Only con has to be reload time, and it has a big usage of a small capacity of shells.

Ehh what? I'll have to say that of all "super shotguns" in any id game, Doom 2's is by far the most useless at distances.

You can't snipe with this gun because the spread is too loose - so what was up with that comment about it being able to pick off distant enemies???

Doesn't sound like the Doom 2 db shotgun I know.

I like the super shotgun the best, but because of its massive load time, its a bit of a bitch in tight corridors vs. tough enemies. So most of the time I use the plasma gun.

Vulg@r said:

In either Doom OR Doom II, I like the shotgun all around. It's fairly fast, the ammo's plentiful and it is satisfying. Ever take down a cybie with one? It's very...satisfying. :)

Play Hell Revealed and you'll have to take down a cybie with anything... (well, except pistol and hand weapons) In fact you'll never look at a cybie in the same way again...

I like backstabbing a cyber with a bfg as well (when he's firing as someone else).
Very satisfying....