Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deimos_marine

Favorite Gun in DOOM

quackbal's sig says:
IF U DIS ME I HAVE BRUTHER WITH KEWL EMAIL PROGRAM WHO WILL HAK U ACCOUNT JUST PLZ TELL ME U EMAIL ADDRESS PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!111111111

Teh Dsm speaks the truth.

The BFG is ammo conserver in relation to the plasma rifle in nearly any situation that warrants the use of energy weapons. (The exception being when you are out of anything but cells and the opposition is only single/small groups of weak enemies).

Whether the bfg or plasma rifle is the safest weapon to use depends largely on the situation. The BFG stops anything but the big two dead in their tracks, but i has it's warmup phase and thus might require some degree of dodging skill. Also you can't usually afford to miss much with this weapon.

The plasma rifle allows to keep enemies in their "pain" state while still has the power to eliminate them quickly (contrary to the chaingun). By spraying fire tightly, not widely you can keep multiple opponents (such as a gaggle of chaingunners) in pain state. still sometimes the safest approach is to get those enemies out of the way as fast as possible instead.

Oh yeah and the BFG sucks at long distances but that's where the rocket launcher enters the picture.

Shotgun-for when I need to pick off something weak at a reasonable distance.

SSG-For every other time.

Plasma Rifle-when I need to make something dead, fast. Also useful against cacs and pain ele.

Rockets-anything more powerful than a chaingunner.

Chaingun-for when all else fails, or long distance.

I don't use anything else.

SSG. As long as I have enough ammo, it's the only thing I use against everything except the 2 strongest enemies and the 2 weakest.

Hard to choose a favourite - they all have their uses. I tend to suck with the rocket launcher, but it does reach the parts other weapons cannot reach.

SSG: great multi-purpose weapon: kills stuff and delivers a thump that keeps even the biggest baddies quiet if you just want to run past them.

Chaingun and plasma gun: a bit under-rated IMO; they are nice for "hosing down" enemies so that you take little damage while killing them, even if this takes longer than killing them with the BFG or SSG would.

BFG: requires a lot of skill to use optimally, and you need to understand how it works. Its merits are pretty obvious, of course.

Those who think the berserk fist has limited usefulness ought to check out Maikl Novikov's max demos - it seems to be his favourite weapon of all. BTW, it is good versus fast demons (i.e. on NM or with the "-fast" setting).

I like all the weapons, which I will now go into reasons why :

Fists - well, I can use these effectively against everything up to pinkies / spectres. I find myself using it in E3M1 to clear the hallway, though slowly.

Chainsaw - Surprisingly, this thing works wonders against Cacodemons, not just Demons and Spectres.

Pistol - Well, for starting out, it's decent, though it could be better. I usually use it to nab a shotgun from a Sargeant though.

Shotgun - for when the DBS is overkill or I need to do some distance work.

DBS - I find myself using this often against groups or bigger monsters, it does in a pinch against Barons, if you're not in a confined space.

Chaingun - easily as effective as the Plasma Rifle, IF you know how to use it. By doing 3 shot bursts, you maintain accuracy.

Rocket Launcher - booyaka, I use this baby to take out groups or some big Barons or something.

Plasma Rifle - I use this often when I have it, as it can clear down enemies and doesn't suck down 40 cells per shot like the BFG 9000

The BFG 9000 - Obviously, I save this for big monsters, though I'm known to use it on a lone Zombieman. I love using the most powerful weapon against the weakest enemy in ANY game.

BBG said:

Chaingun - easily as effective as the Plasma Rifle, IF you know how to use it. By doing 3 shot bursts, you maintain accuracy.

Shooting three-shot bursts with the Chaingun is impossible, since it always, ALWAYS, fires 2 rounds if you tap the fire key. I am ready to believe you if you say 4-round bursts ;-)

Little Faith said:

Teh Dsm speaks the truth.

The BFG is ammo conserver in relation to the plasma rifle in nearly any situation that warrants the use of energy weapons. (The exception being when you are out of anything but cells and the opposition is only single/small groups of weak enemies).

That's true. Take into consideration that every ball of plasma does two points of damage for every cell consumed. Not bad. But, the BFG consumes forty cells for one-hundred points of damage. Even better. So you get an extra twenty points of damage with the BFG that you wouldn't get with the plasma rifle.

I like the plasma gun for DM (except for that lame ass spindown when you let of the trigger...) and the shotguns in single player. The chaingun is surprisingly effective on higher difficulties. Me and my homie Tho9m (yes that's a nine in his name.....) bust out DooM Co-op in our graphics class. Tons of fun on Nightmare. His chaingun + my shotty= lots of dead demons!!!
Rockets are cool too, but can be hazerdous....

let's not forget berserk.......

The plasma rifle can easily waste tons of ammo uselessly, therefore it's only really a good DM weapon. The BFG is definitely better, what with the damage points and so forth. The only problem is it has a long firing lag, it has to charge before it can shoot.

Vulg@r said:

...the BFG consumes forty cells for one-hundred points of damage.

I suggest you check out the BFG FAQ to get the whole picture.

Grazza said:

I suggest you check out the BFG FAQ to get the whole picture.

I've read that faq before. I got my information from a PC Doom guide that said the BFG has a total of 100 points of damage to distribute. For example, a Baron of Hell has 100 hit points. You can hit it with a single barrel shotgun 15 times for 7 points of damage a piece. Or maybe with a chaingun with one hundred bullets which do 1 point of damage per round. And the plasma gun can be used to get 50 direct shots at 2 damage points for every plasma ball. The point of that is everything on the damage table I memorized seems to work out. Which would mean that the BFG does indeed do 100 points of damage. At the least. I'm not arguing whether or not it can hit up to 800. I was just arguing efficacy of the BFG versus the plasma rifle per cell.

Typical weapon to enemy use:

Pistol/shotgun/chaingun/berserk/chainsaw against former humans, former sergeants, chaingunner, imps

berserk/chainsaw/chaingun/SSG against demons, specters, lost souls, pain elementals, cacodemons, revenants

SSG/rocket launcher against mancubuses, hell knights, barons, archviles, arachnotrons, spider demons, cyberdemons

plasma rifle if I'm lazy

BFG if I'm bored

me like the railgun, Heh heh heh heh....

seriously though the pump-action shotgun is very nice.

Vulg@r said:

I've read that faq before. I got my information from a PC Doom guide that said the BFG has a total of 100 points of damage to distribute. For example, a Baron of Hell has 100 hit points. You can hit it with a single barrel shotgun 15 times for 7 points of damage a piece. Or maybe with a chaingun with one hundred bullets which do 1 point of damage per round. And the plasma gun can be used to get 50 direct shots at 2 damage points for every plasma ball. The point of that is everything on the damage table I memorized seems to work out. Which would mean that the BFG does indeed do 100 points of damage. At the least. I'm not arguing whether or not it can hit up to 800. I was just arguing efficacy of the BFG versus the plasma rifle per cell.

Jesus, all your information is way way off. First off, Barons have 1000 health. Second of all, the BFG ball ITSELF can cause more than 100, and theoretically the BFG can cause up to 5920, although it's usually not that high, and the odds of it getting 3000 (to kill a Spider Mastermind) are less than 50/50, since each of the tracers cause random damage. And the pistol/chaingun bullets do more than 1 point of damage, because zombiemen have 20 health, and it takes 2-3 to kill one with the pistol. And man, the plasma can kill someone in DM in like 5 shots, no way it only takes 2. If you multiplied all your calculations by 10, maybe you'd be closer to being right. =P

I got my info out of a damage/weapons table in the SNES Doom guide. And does it matter about the health and weapon damage if it's proportional? Think about it. In my world, a bullet does one damage. And a baron has 100 hit points. Does that mean my information is skewed if you say that a bullet does 10 damage and a baron has 1,000 hitpoints? No. Because it's all equal anyway. It's just whether you want to multiply your numbers by 10. As for the BFG stuff, I admit that the SNES Doom weapon table thing was off and didn't really show the whole function of how the BFG works, exactly.

Super shotgun! OUUUUUUUUUUU IEEEEE! BLAM! CLICK! CLACK! CLOCK! BLAM! CLICK! CLACK! CLOCK! BLAM! CLICK! CLACK! CLOCK! BLAM! CLICK! CLACK! CLOCK! BLAM! CLICK! CLACK! CLOCK! BLAM! CLICK! CLACK! CLOCK! Good bye baron

hmm... "Registered just to make one post"

WWHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAATTTTTTTTT???
I want to make two posts buhahaha

Dude, you have some sort of problem, yes? Methinks you do. Better do something about it, like now. Quickly. Go. Shoo.

Balbus said:

Super shotgun! OUUUUUUUUUUU IEEEEE! BLAM! CLICK! CLACK! CLOCK! BLAM! CLICK! CLACK! CLOCK! BLAM! CLICK! CLACK! CLOCK! BLAM! CLICK! CLACK! CLOCK! BLAM! CLICK! CLACK! CLOCK! BLAM! CLICK! CLACK! CLOCK! Good bye baron

hmm... "Registered just to make one post"

WWHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAATTTTTTTTT???
I want to make two posts buhahaha

YOU are on your way to achieve "banned" status. Of course, my guess is that that's your sole goal of being here. If that be the case, then I should be happy to fulfill this goal for ya.

If that's NOT the case, then I suggest that you cut the crap NOW and fall into the ranks like any other good Member.

Y2theJ said:

me like the railgun, Heh heh heh heh....

seriously though the pump-action shotgun is very nice.

What 'pump-action shotgun'?

magikal said:

What 'pump-action shotgun'?

Don't be stupid, the sb shotgun of course. In case you hadn't noticed, the Doomguy's hand pumps the slide handle back whenever the blast recoils the weapon.

How long time since you last played Doom? ;-)

dsm said:

Don't be stupid, the sb shotgun of course. In case you hadn't noticed, the Doomguy's hand pumps the slide handle back whenever the blast recoils the weapon.

How long time since you last played Doom? ;-)

Whoops, my bad, confused the posts I thought you were refering to the ssg.

Pistol Pete said:

I really like the crack of the pistol, how can it hold sooo many bullets though?

Why does the shotgun hold so many shells that you can just firing off without having to insert new shells into the shotgun (I'm not talking about the pump-reload action after each shot here)?
Why can you fire the rocket launcher repeatedly without reloading it?

Because it's a game - games are rarely realistic, and Doom is fairly old, which means that it's less realistic than modern games.