Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
forgettable pyromaniac

Where should I put the iwads on Linux?

I recently put Linux on an old PC of mine, and of course - I wanted to try Doom on it :p

I got Chocolate, Crispy, and prbom-plus, and when attempting to open Chocolate and Crispy, they will open Doom2 alright, but then flounder when trying to open any other iwad. Opening pwads seems to work fine, though. prboom-plus opens prboom-plus.wad just fine, but once again misses when trying to open an iwad (this time, of any kind, even if they're in the SAME DIRECTORY as prboom-plus.wad). I don't think I've just been able to find the right place to put them... So, that's the question, where would they go?

Linux Mint 20.3, if that helps.

Put them in the directory/directories specified by the DOOMWADDIR/DOOMWADPATH environment variables (see Doom Wiki), or use the -iwad parameter on the command line, or use a launcher program.

2 hours ago, Shepardus said:

Put them in the directory/directories specified by the DOOMWADDIR/DOOMWADPATH environment variables (see Doom Wiki), or use the -iwad parameter on the command line, or use a launcher program.

I've been looking for one of those variables in the configs to no luck - do i add my own?

8 minutes ago, forgettable pyromaniac said:

I've been looking for one of those variables in the configs to no luck - do i add my own?

Those are environment variables, which are part of the operating system, not the source port's config. You can Google for how to set an environment variable, but if you launch your programs from the command-line then you can put something like "export DOOMWADPATH=..." in your .bashrc or equivalent.

54 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

Those are environment variables, which are part of the operating system, not the source port's config. You can Google for how to set an environment variable, but if you launch your programs from the command-line then you can put something like "export DOOMWADPATH=..." in your .bashrc or equivalent.

ahhhh, i see - still getting the hang of linux, lmao. Thanks :)

Make a folder in your home directory called "doom" and put your wads in there

i do what jerk-o says and run doom through the terminal by right clicking on the doom folder and opening it in terminal

something like

"crispy-doom -iwad DOOM2.WAD -file HR.WAD"

for example, caps matter btw 

running doom through the terminal is super comfy imo and you can drag and drop files, at least in my distro i can (also kind of a linux newbie).

12 minutes ago, Luleta said:

i do what jerk-o says and run doom through the terminal by right clicking on the doom folder and opening it in terminal

something like

"crispy-doom -iwad DOOM2.WAD -file HR.WAD"

for example, caps matter btw 

running doom through the terminal is super comfy imo and you can drag and drop files, at least in my distro i can (also kind of a linux newbie).

YOU CAN DRAG THEM ONNNNNNNN
WHAT THE FUCK THIS MAKES MY LIFE SO MUCH EASIER

i could kiss you - i won't, but i could.

9 minutes ago, forgettable pyromaniac said:

i could kiss you - i won't, but i could.

n__________n" no problem bud.

penguins ftw

Mine seem to be in $DOOMWADPATH:

> echo $DOOMWADDIR

> echo $DOOMWADPATH
/usr/share/games/doom/
> ls $DOOMWADPATH
blasphemer.wad  doom2i.wad  doom.wad    freedoom1.wad  heretic.wad  hexen.wad     remood.wad   tnt.wad
doom1.wad       doom2.wad   freedm.wad  freedoom2.wad  hexdd.wad    plutonia.wad  strife1.wad  voices.wad

I run Debian Sid.

26 minutes ago, forgettable pyromaniac said:

I ignored replying to your thread because I thought you already know that you can drag them! (and I don't use Linux)

Also, do you know that Doom GUI Launcher programs exist?

Edited by Hitboi

7 minutes ago, Hitboi said:

Also, do you know that Doom GUI Launcher programs exist?

I did but absolutely zero clue on how I'd go around installing things like that - I've been using sudo apt install for most things, and I have no clue how to build things from source lmao

Unrelated, do any of you know how to get timidity working with Slade3? Fluidsynth is broken, lmao.

You could also just leave the iwads in the home folder and create a "Doom" or Wads folders. Then through a terminal in the home folder you can do something like this

chocolate-doom -iwad DOOM2.WAD -file ./Doom/SCYTHE.WAD
prboom-plus -iwad DOOM2.WAD -file ./Doom/SCYTHE.WAD -complevel 2

In Ubuntu MATE works nicely

You mentioned 'apt-get', respectively 'apt', so you use either debian or a debian-based distribution.

- A launcher is not (yet) available in the official repositories but there is a program called 'Super Shotgun Launcher', or SSGL in short available on Github: Super Shotgun Launcher · GitHub  available as a .deb package.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that prboom+ is available in the official repositories.

Edited by unidenti7ied : Forgot to mention an important thing

9 minutes ago, forgettable pyromaniac said:

Unrelated, do any of you know how to get timidity working with Slade3? Fluidsynth is broken, lmao.

Fluidsynth doesn't work in SLADE3? For me it plays midis fine in SLADE3 through Fluidsynth with ZDoom's soundfont. If you want Timidity to work you need an executable that can help SLADE3 to playback midis, I think you need a .exe like Crispy Doom or TiMidity++? I setted my executable location to Crispy Doom but I don't remember trying a midi with it in SLADE3.

i use Manjaro, the AUR has most source ports at one click away if you are ever interested.

its comfy cuz i suck at building and this way updating is super easy.

26 minutes ago, Hitboi said:

Fluidsynth doesn't work in SLADE3?

Well, it didn't.

Ok so I'm a fucking moron, right, and as it turns out, fluidsynth just needed to be reset and I set my soundfont incorrectly so it was muted...
I still perfer Timidity for the WAY it's played, so if I can do that, cool - If not, whatever.

AHAH! I'M NOT A MORON! It is kinda broken - It only works sometimes, but I couldn't tell you what breaks it and what fixes it, it appears to be totally random.
I tried to record it but when it breaks, it doesn't play anything when screen-recorded, it's completely silent. My speakers make noise, though - so that's weird..

26 minutes ago, Hitboi said:

If you want Timidity to work you need an executable that can help SLADE3 to playback midis, I think you need a .exe like Crispy Doom or TiMidity++? I setted my executable location to Crispy Doom but I don't remember trying a midi with it in SLADE3.

it runs via the .exe on Linux? I have TiMidity++ for Linux, been trying to use that - lmao

25 minutes ago, Luleta said:

i use Manjaro, the AUR has most source ports at one click away if you are ever interested.

its comfy cuz i suck at building and this way updating is super easy.

I've only gotten Choco, Crispy, and Zandronum to work consistently - PrBoom+ only loads FreeDoom for some reason, even when I pass it a different iWad - I kinda wanted to try DSDA again (/ for the first time on Linux) but I'm a big dumbie who doesn't know how to work Linux so :p

Edited by forgettable pyromaniac

24 minutes ago, forgettable pyromaniac said:

I've only gotten Choco, Crispy, and Zandronum to work consistently - PrBoom+ only loads FreeDoom for some reason, even when I pass it a different iWad - I kinda wanted to try DSDA again (/ for the first time on Linux) but I'm a big dumbie who doesn't know how to work Linux so :p

Try installing the deb package that @Maribo posted in the thread. If it doesn't work you have two options

1. Compile it yourself by following the instructions in the github page. Here: https://github.com/kraflab/dsda-doom/blob/master/prboom2/INSTALL
  2. Install Wine (A compatibility layer to run windows exes in Linux) and run the windows exe. https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu (It says ubuntu but it should work for Linux Mint too)

To install deb packs you do 'sudo dpkg -i /path/to/package.deb'

Edited by xX_Lol6_Xx

And if your package has got dependencies, you can run gdebi instead of dpkg.

I think the DSDA-Doom OP still links to my 0.24.2 binary, here is 0.24.3 for Debian-based distros (Ubuntu, Mint, etc.)
Starting with 0.25.0 I'm actually packaging an extra instructions txt, just to make sure that people install all the necessary dependencies. There's also a minor issue on Ubuntu 22.04 (I still run 20.04 at the moment, but have had it reported to me) regarding the libfluidsynth dependency, which has a simple workaround.

txt enclosed: instructions.zip

I am by no means a Linux expert or anything, I just decided to start packaging binaries for DSDA-Doom since I had multiple people come to me for help with building from source, and figured it'd be good for accessibility to have something relatively simpler. I currently don't plan to make a PPA or anything for these builds, but anyone else is obviously welcome to do so. :)

4 hours ago, forgettable pyromaniac said:

it runs via the .exe on Linux?

Yes, it runs on Linux, by "via" you mean SLADE uses the .exe in order to play a midi.

4 hours ago, forgettable pyromaniac said:

AHAH! I'M NOT A MORON! It is kinda broken - It only works sometimes, but I couldn't tell you what breaks it and what fixes it, it appears to be totally random.
I tried to record it but when it breaks, it doesn't play anything when screen-recorded, it's completely silent. My speakers make noise, though - so that's weird..

Strange that it's random. I once had an issue where midis wouldn't play in SLADE but I fixed it by replacing the soundfont with another one, might be the cause of the problem you're facing?

Edited by Hitboi

In a folder, say for example we made a folder named GameIWADS in ~ (aka /home/username), and it contains the IWADS, if i want to launch the game in any source port, i open the terminal and run :

<insert source port name here> -iwad ~/GameIWADS/<iwadname.wad

If you run GZDoom, you can open the config on ~/.config/gzdoom and change the IWADS path

for mods you can write the same thing with -file and the location for your pwad, in GZDoom make a desktop shortcut and do the same thing you do for windows : drag and drop the pwad to the gzdoom exe, also if you need a launcher ZDL is there on linux due to it running on Qt :

https://github.com/lcferrum/qzdl/releases/download/3-1.1/ZDL_3-1.1_Linux_x64.tar.gz

Download, launch n have fun :)

Edited by Frost-Core

18 minutes ago, Hitboi said:

Yes, it runs on Linux, by "via" you mean SLADE uses the .exe in order to play a midi, also the .exe will not.

That's what I meant, mb.

14 minutes ago, Frost-Core said:

If you run GZDoom, you can open the config on ~/.config/gzdoom and change the IWADS path

PC is too trash for GZDoom - only OpenGL 2.1

3 hours ago, unidenti7ied said:

You mentioned 'apt-get', respectively 'apt', so you use either debian or a debian-based distribution.

Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon

3 hours ago, unidenti7ied said:

A launcher is not (yet) available in the official repositories but there is a program called 'Super Shotgun Launcher', or SSGL in short available on Github: Super Shotgun Launcher · GitHub  available as a .deb package.

ooo, neato!

2 hours ago, forgettable pyromaniac said:

Try booting GZDoom and change the rendering in-game to either software or OpenGL ES. Both play nicely with mid-low end computers

9 hours ago, forgettable pyromaniac said:

Use LZDoom

On 6/19/2022 at 9:00 AM, jerk-o said:

Make a folder in your home directory called "doom" and put your wads in there

That's what I do, first thing I do after installing a linux is to create a /home/user/WAD directory.

And I create one launcher (.sh file) per PWAD I want to play.

I made a post about this a while back that might be of assistance.

It is more about using GZDoom .ini files to specify where the IWADs (and save, executable file etc. directories) are to be found.

I didn't go down the launcher or WINE route - I wanted PWAD drag n drop to desktop GZDoom icon, with a choice of gameplay mods (vanilla, beautiful, brutal). It is for Ubuntu BTW, so not sure how relevant to you it would be.