Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Prictous

New to mapping!!

hi, i am completely new to doom mapping and would like feedback, positive or negative.

info: doom1, made with doombuilder 2, zdoom for testing (E1M1, single level, somewhat easy)

Wadhosting mirror

there is one secret :]image.png.37b84af49fd656423cce25ed16b8207c.pngimage.png.c4e049e874e602a9c22aa0d99025e72c.png

Edited by Prictous : added screenshots, more details

Please post a screenshot :)

(This thread might be helpful for you in future, but I honestly think the lack of screenshot is the only "meainingful" missing bit of info.)

2 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Please post a screenshot :)

(This thread might be helpful for you in future, but I honestly think the lack of screenshot is the only "meainingful" missing bit of info.)

should i post a screenshot of gameplay in the level, or the layout of the level? ty for letting me know to do that btw! i was reading that thread as a guide and i guess i missed that

Gameplay screenshots are generally preferred to birds-eye map screenshots, but people like those too - you can do either or both, totally up to you. (Also DW gives users a little bit of space to upload pics, but long-term I usually use Imgur).

7 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Gameplay screenshots are generally preferred to birds-eye map screenshots, but people like those too - you can do either or both, totally up to you. (Also DW gives users a little bit of space to upload pics, but long-term I usually use Imgur).

done, ty <3

I completed crypts.wad with LZDOOM, acceptable map design, 70/100. In all seriousness, the map overall was not the worst DOOM map that I have played before. You have all of the basic features of a DOOM map, height variation, enemy variety, varied level design, elevators, doors, keys, etc. The map is very rough around the edges, overall playable. This is a DOOM map, what more would anyone ask for. Build more DOOM maps. My recommendations, larger rooms are not always beneficial to a map. Smaller areas are easier to build, because larger map areas will require more development to fill up the empty space. Add enemy ambush locations to a map, and the enemies will ambush the player. Hiding places can include boxes, pillars, large rocks, walls, etc.

honestly, its alright for a first map i guess. though i think you really need to work on your large empty spaces. like @FireWarden1000 said, large empty spaces are ugly and you should probably focus on the smaller rooms. i recommend going back and playing all the first levels in all 4 episodes of doom 1 (e1m1, e2m1, e3m1, e4m1) in im too young to die (to minimize distractions) and take a look at EVERYTHING. i mean everything. windows, halls, texture alignment, and most importantly, differences in elevation. if you want purely a tech base, e1 is the best, if you want hell mixing with machines, e2 is the best, if you want hell, e3 is the best, and if you want.... earth mixed with hell? (idk what e4 resembles) then e4. just some things to take note of and i hope to see more maps improving in the future!

Hey, here's a video of the maps gameplay.
I'll send you another video tomorrow.

Correction to the video: You can use A to align the textures. Shift+A aligns the textures from ceiling to floor direction (vertical axis)

@doomer06 The E4 maps are supposed to represented corrupted earth, places that have been corrupted by hell, but are still on earth. 

Edited by IcarusOfDaggers

I've played this (sorry i forgot to record it for you), i did like it....but i did have some issues. 

Some of the textures are mis agile like in the green brick area,  don't worry i got that as well when i first started myself. 

It needs at least a shotgun and some ammo at the start, because trying to kill enemies with a pistol and low shotgun is kinda hard....Well yet again i didn't the only secret so that's on me. 

But overall this was fun and short but if there is one thing i will say and trust me it helped me out, try sticking with a theme. What i mean is when making a map try to think like the player and think what kind of theme you want.

Like for example: Let's say i wanted to make a map that was like inspired by Doom 1 E2M8 Tower of Bable or bible which ever one it is, and has two cyber demons in it and lots of pinkies. So how would you go through with it? Easy make it large enough to fit the pinkies and cyber demons in without them getting stuck or being in the void. 

Or another one would be is play different Doom 1 wads and get a feeling of what you wanna make and everything, that's what i did with Doom 2. 

Anyways hopes this helps and if you get in a rut or have mappers block (trust me i get those a lot) just play some wads and get an idea on how and what you want in your maps. 

If you do work on this again please at least put a shotgun and some ammo at the start, Pistol killing enemies are a pain >.<

1 hour ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

I've played this (sorry i forgot to record it for you), i did like it....but i did have some issues. 

Some of the textures are mis agile like in the green brick area,  don't worry i got that as well when i first started myself. 

It needs at least a shotgun and some ammo at the start, because trying to kill enemies with a pistol and low shotgun is kinda hard....Well yet again i didn't the only secret so that's on me. 

But overall this was fun and short but if there is one thing i will say and trust me it helped me out, try sticking with a theme. What i mean is when making a map try to think like the player and think what kind of theme you want.

Like for example: Let's say i wanted to make a map that was like inspired by Doom 1 E2M8 Tower of Bable or bible which ever one it is, and has two cyber demons in it and lots of pinkies. So how would you go through with it? Easy make it large enough to fit the pinkies and cyber demons in without them getting stuck or being in the void. 

Or another one would be is play different Doom 1 wads and get a feeling of what you wanna make and everything, that's what i did with Doom 2. 

Anyways hopes this helps and if you get in a rut or have mappers block (trust me i get those a lot) just play some wads and get an idea on how and what you want in your maps. 

If you do work on this again please at least put a shotgun and some ammo at the start, Pistol killing enemies are a pain >.<

yeah ive noticed alot of things after all this feedback and im currently redoing alot of elements in the map

On 7/17/2022 at 4:45 PM, Prictous said:

yeah ive noticed alot of things after all this feedback and im currently redoing alot of elements in the map

this aged like shit . i lost the source file when my old laptop broke back in march lol