Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-- Alexei --

New (and my first) MegaWAD for TNT

teaser.png.82d6ecc2566bb3d065a9c943a38fc001.png 

DOOM: For Daisy

Welcome, this is my first megaWAD (although my first map isn't here nor you will ever see it) and I'm pretty proud of most of it, some parts take concepts off of BTSX and AfterDOOM, you gotta get someone to learn from anyway :).

I've always wanted to know what happened between DOOM 64 and DOOM (2016), specially because DOOMguy staying in hell sounded very entertaining for a game, so I made it into 30 maps. I also kind of think Daisy is pretty forgotten in the DOOM community, or maybe it's just my obsession with animals.

Anyway, this WAD features 32 maps (2 being secret, they're kinda meh to me but they'll clarify the story a bit, look for elevators if you wanna enter them), none of them are really made to be pistol started tho, I've never liked the concept of it and it's kinda tough to balance it out for pistol starts without making it too easy, so make sure to save before exiting a level.

This took quite long to make, around 2 months to be exact, it's also something I made almost all by myself, the exceptions are some graphics and music, but it's all credited in the .txt file.

Since this introduces new things, it needs additional files to be run with (and therefore, it's made to be run with GZDoom), I compressed it all into a .pk3 and 2 .wad, one WAD has the maps and music and the other one has the new weapon tweaked to fit into the WAD.

The map format is BOOM (yeah, I know, DECORATE and BOOM, I was too compromised with BOOM when I realized) and has standard DOOM gameplay, no crazy slaughter map (although some parts are a bit similar to one, but I made sure to prepare the player with powerups), it's in the DOOM II/TNT level of difficulty, no plutonia revenant-chaingunner army or surprise Cyberdemons, I also put in quite the detail into it, not BTSX or Gothic99 levels of detail (I really wished), but it's quite the thing.

You also might want to be paying attention to your rockets or energy cells, I'm not that generous with ammo, but it's not like there's 4 shells in the whole map, you also may want to jump and crouch a few times, some secrets and progression need it, I also recommend freelook, but it's not a requirement.

One last thing, I hope hardware acceleration doesn't lag your pc (unlike mine, I don't have OpenGL so I have to use SoftPoly and it's terrible) bc if you see a Hall-Of-Mirrors you may want to use hardware rendering for that part, specially MAP22.

Closing off, here are the screenshots:

Spoiler

(This is supposed to be MAP39 of DOOM 64, it took me 2 afternoons)Screenshot_Doom_20220623_203450.png.39481446c445f28c27e3453255c8a6b9.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220623_203500.png.a19d78e556b492ffaeddff8d9ecae426.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220623_203559.png.50d2cae64472657da4a374952fb87fc1.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220623_203644.png.171dab7a707f313c3af0dd2f2c0c90a7.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220623_203730.png.0d518fe15d09e5d318fc59edab5418b1.png

Here is the download link (it was tested in GZDoom, MAYBE it'll work in ZDoom): https://www.mediafire.com/file/8vhatgkbo58io2s/For_Daisy.zip/file

Edited by -- Alexei --

All screenshots give a 404. 

Not a bad start, but pretty much all of the maps I tried out - up to 23 at the moment - are in need of some kind of tweaking. There are missing textures in almost every map, independently of which rendering I use or the order I load the files. The lighting is a bit flat, I wish the care put into detailing (it's sparse, but it's there) was put in some light sectoring. Some layouts I am not so hot about - most maps tend to be large sprawls with very little variation terrain-wise, which makes for a dull exploration.

Good points: the gameplay is serviceable, a run n'gun that was entertaining for the most part. As I mentioned, some of the detailing goes beyond the 'first set of maps' standards, though overall we're a bit uneven in that department. The aesthetics do have some high points, especially where they capture that Petersen brand of abstraction.

Don't really see the BTSX connection to be honest, the megawad overall is much closer to the IWADs in both aesthetics and gameplay. 

Needs work, but a very solid start. 

Edited by Thelokk

16 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

All screenshots give a 404. 

Not a bad start, but pretty much all of the maps I tried out - up to 23 at the moment - are in need of some kind of tweaking. There are missing textures in almost every map, independently of which rendering I use or the order I load the files. The lighting is a bit flat, I wish the care put into detailing (it's sparse, but it's there) was put in some light sectoring. Some layouts I am not so hot about - most maps tend to be large sprawls with very little variation terrain-wise, which makes for a dull exploration.

Good points: the gameplay is serviceable, a run n'gun that was entertaining for the most part. As I mentioned, some of the detailing goes beyond the 'first set of maps' standards, though overall we're a bit uneven in that department. The aesthetics do have some high points, especially where they capture that Petersen brand of abstraction.

Don't really see the BTSX connection to be honest, the megawad overall is much closer to the IWADs in both aesthetics and gameplay. 

Needs work, but a very solid start. 

I see, all of that is very true, the BTSX part I "took" was the waterfalls outdoors and out of bounds trees in later levels, but what I'm REALLY interested about is the missing texture thing, the moment I tested it yesterday I saw them everywhere too, did you see them in mountains and all that? because everytime I used ASHWALL2 and tested it outside of Doom Builder 2 the game just "ignored" it's existence, so I resorted to changing it into ASHWALL from DOOM I.

If the missing textures your'e talking about are in skies, then that's something I have no idea on how to fix because I even used tricks from other posts on other forums and tutorials and it worked for me.

Anywho, I really hope you enjoyed it, I just don't want my 2 month effort go to waste u.u

15 minutes ago, -- Alexei -- said:

I see, all of that is very true, the BTSX part I "took" was the waterfalls outdoors and out of bounds trees in later levels, but what I'm REALLY interested about is the missing texture thing, the moment I tested it yesterday I saw them everywhere too, did you see them in mountains and all that? because everytime I used ASHWALL2 and tested it outside of Doom Builder 2 the game just "ignored" it's existence, so I resorted to changing it into ASHWALL from DOOM I.

If the missing textures your'e talking about are in skies, then that's something I have no idea on how to fix because I even used tricks from other posts on other forums and tutorials and it worked for me.

Anywho, I really hope you enjoyed it, I just don't want my 2 month effort go to waste u.u

Did you properly add all non-Doom 2 textures to the PATCHES and TEXTURE lumps? Otherwise they won't carry over when one downloads your PWAD.

Two months isn't really a lot of time to develop a megawad, give it a little more time and polish and I feel we might have a pretty nice vanilla experience here. 

Just now, Thelokk said:

Did you properly add all non-Doom 2 textures to the PATCHES and TEXTURE lumps? Otherwise they won't carry over when one downloads your PWAD.

Two months isn't really a lot of time to develop a megawad, give it a little more time and polish and I feel we might have a pretty nice vanilla experience here. 

Yeah I did, well, I actually took a texture pack from realm667 (I credited) and put it in the fdresource.pk3 file, if you can see the hanging baron texture at the end of MAP24 then that isn't the problem, again, in which places do you see the missing textures? skies? floors? provide screenshots if you can.

Also I'm extremely shocked 2 months isn't a lot, it really felt like I was doing this for 2 years O.o maybe next time I should just make a single map WAD and leave it at that, it's gonna be a long time until I make another megaWAD.

1 minute ago, -- Alexei -- said:

Yeah I did, well, I actually took a texture pack from realm667 (I credited) and put it in the fdresource.pk3 file, if you can see the hanging baron texture at the end of MAP24 then that isn't the problem, again, in which places do you see the missing textures? skies? floors? provide screenshots if you can.

Also I'm extremely shocked 2 months isn't a lot, it really felt like I was doing this for 2 years O.o maybe next time I should just make a single map WAD and leave it at that, it's gonna be a long time until I make another megaWAD.

Not to play the part of the lazy armchair complainer, but providing screenshots would be a daunting task - I stopped counting at 10+ instances of missing textures just on MAP01. Even tried with different IWADS, no fix. There is also an error in the MAPINFO lump, or so GZDoom tells me. Not sure if that might be relevant or not.

Don't be discouraged by the long development time megawads require - I am working on one of my own, six months in and I don't even have a working alpha of all maps yet. Anomaly Report, a recent high quality vanilla megawad that I feel is not too distant from your aesthetics and gameplay, took 11 months to build. 

30 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

Not to play the part of the lazy armchair complainer, but providing screenshots would be a daunting task - I stopped counting at 10+ instances of missing textures just on MAP01. Even tried with different IWADS, no fix. There is also an error in the MAPINFO lump, or so GZDoom tells me. Not sure if that might be relevant or not.

Huh... Well you can just ignore the MAPINFO error, it doesn't affect anything, just a definition it doesn't want to recognize (it was even on the zdoom wiki) but there's no real problem on it, and something really tells me your problem with the missing textures COULD be on your part, because I just remembered a few weeks ago a friend tested the first 10 maps (yeah, he takes long) and didn't see anything weird.

This would fall under the category of Short-&-Sweet maps if they were less claustrophobic. Map02 and Map04 feel like you're scraping your skin on the walls, let alone the poor Hell Knights and Cacos shoved inside those barely big enough places.

I would call this set of maps... of the 4 I played, a decent rough draft of skill exhibition for yourself. This had a 90s style wad feel that was not necessarily 90s style by intent. Thats not even a burn honestly. It just is how this wad feels to me: Rugged, 90s, raw and in your face constantly.

Sidenote: this is ZDoom and Zandronum compatible. Completely fails on PrBoom+.

I loaded all three assets into GZDoom through ZDL and I'm on level 8 or so. Very much looking forward to finishing it and hopefully finding out what "Daisy" is. This megawad is my style for sure. Short, simple and satisfying. Great music, too! Did you compose it? It fits the levels perfectly. 

This megawad says "I know what I like," and I like it too. Thank you!

40 minutes ago, Cacodreamin' said:

I loaded all three assets into GZDoom through ZDL and I'm on level 8 or so. Very much looking forward to finishing it and hopefully finding out what "Daisy" is. This megawad is my style for sure. Short, simple and satisfying. Great music, too! Did you compose it? It fits the levels perfectly. 

This megawad says "I know what I like," and I like it too. Thank you!

Boy this makes me cry all over the place, I'm extremely glad my efforts weren't in vain :D

The music is from Ultimate MIDI Pack, a music pack for DOOM I made by a team, and Daisy is DOOMguy's bunny, she died at the end of DOOM I when Earth was invaded, so I wanted to make this WAD about him having revenge and going on an absolute rampage.

I really hope you don't get the missing texture thing from the other guy :) good luck, make sure to save every once in a while!

2 hours ago, kalensar said:

This would fall under the category of Short-&-Sweet maps if they were less claustrophobic. Map02 and Map04 feel like you're scraping your skin on the walls, let alone the poor Hell Knights and Cacos shoved inside those barely big enough places.

I would call this set of maps... of the 4 I played, a decent rough draft of skill exhibition for yourself. This had a 90s style wad feel that was not necessarily 90s style by intent. Thats not even a burn honestly. It just is how this wad feels to me: Rugged, 90s, raw and in your face constantly.

Sidenote: this is ZDoom and Zandronum compatible. Completely fails on PrBoom+.

Yeah, I know about that, it gets MUCH better in later maps, around MAP11 (which is honestly on the top best in the set), the 90s feel wasn't intentional at all, you got it completely right, I take that as a compliment :D

I think I put the source port thing in the text file and (I hope) post, my bad.

7 minutes ago, Cacodreamin' said:

Yeah, it's fantastic. I am eager to finish it. 

I'm seeing a few missing textures too. Maybe we're loading it wrong. How do you play it?

Well, the missing textures thing are now officially terrifyingly concerning specially because of my already existing nervousness, I really don't know what the problem is, I loaded it up both with the Doom Builder 2 testing mode and normally in GZDoom 4.7.1 and I saw no problems. I hope it doesn't ruin the fun :(

Now that I'm thinking, maybe it's something with OpenGL (assuming here) since I use SoftPoly because I don't have OpenGL in my pc.

Haha no no don't worry it's still gold. It's not missing very many. Like, if you idclev13, do you see any missing textures? The blocks that the lights are on are missing them. I tried loading everything in different orders, so it must be some hardware rendering thing. Weird. 

Edited by Cacodreamin'

@-- Alexei -- I may have some good news for you, I ran through MAP01 in both Vulkan and OpenGL, using software, truecolor software, and hardware rendering, and I don't see any missing textures. I don't know if there are a few here and there later on, but at least it's not as pervasive as what Thelokk is seeing. @Thelokk sorry if this sounds obvious, but did you load this with tnt.wad?

I think there's some cleanup you could do in the main wad that will remove the errors:

- there are 2 versions of fdresource.pk3, one of them with a bak suffix. They are not identical (very small size difference) but I don't know what's different. In my testing I loaded the regular one and didn't seem to cause problems, but you might want to get rid of whichever is redundant or an older version (I assume it's the bak one)

- in general I think having everything neatly organized inside the wad is always good, it'll help you find something quickly, and it reduces the chance that some odd or misplaced lump will interfere with something else or outright crash a port on startup

- the MAPINFO error is due to an intermission that does not need to be there; the only thing you try to define is the music, but you still use the default one. You can remove the whole block (lines 13-16 inclusive) and nothing will change, but the error will go away.

- there are map lumps (including GL ones) at the very beginning of the main wad that are not associated with any map and that cannot be used as they are now. If these are part of a map that you do want in there you need to define the map marker, put back the THINGS and LINEDEFS lumps, put them in the right order, and move the music lumps that are in-between somewhere else. If they're just leftover junk it might be safer to delete them, I think some ports will choke when they see random map lumps like this (might be why PrBoom can't run it)

- DECORATE errors are due to missing inventory icons for the keys. Since Doom doesn't have an inventory I don't think these can be seen, so probably not an issue (but if the icons did come with the Unmaker file and you removed them yourself, you might as well keep them there and get rid of the error)

- you have 2 problems with WALL_667. First, the texture and the patch have the same name (hence the error on startup). More importantly, there is no patch with this name in either tnt.wad or fordaisy.wad. If you try to use this in a map you will get a missing texture for sure

- the yellow key doesn't seem to be flagged on easy difficulty, so completing MAP01 on ITYTD and HNTR is impossible

As a result of the latter I didn't get very far, but I jumped ahead to test out some later maps and what I saw got me interested, as was already mentioned this is pretty good for a first effort, I'm personally a fan of 90s wads and don't understand how "1994 wad" became a pejorative. If you can iron out some of the kinks this will be a pretty solid entry!

Bug report: Map12 where the Red Key is. You can get soft locked if the door closes. Tested on GZD 4.8 and Zandro 3.1 to confirm it wasn't just a source port wonky.

8 hours ago, brick said:

@-- Alexei -- I may have some good news for you, I ran through MAP01 in both Vulkan and OpenGL, using software, truecolor software, and hardware rendering, and I don't see any missing textures. I don't know if there are a few here and there later on, but at least it's not as pervasive as what Thelokk is seeing. @Thelokk sorry if this sounds obvious, but did you load this with tnt.wad?

I think there's some cleanup you could do in the main wad that will remove the errors:

- there are 2 versions of fdresource.pk3, one of them with a bak suffix. They are not identical (very small size difference) but I don't know what's different. In my testing I loaded the regular one and didn't seem to cause problems, but you might want to get rid of whichever is redundant or an older version (I assume it's the bak one)

- in general I think having everything neatly organized inside the wad is always good, it'll help you find something quickly, and it reduces the chance that some odd or misplaced lump will interfere with something else or outright crash a port on startup

- the MAPINFO error is due to an intermission that does not need to be there; the only thing you try to define is the music, but you still use the default one. You can remove the whole block (lines 13-16 inclusive) and nothing will change, but the error will go away.

- there are map lumps (including GL ones) at the very beginning of the main wad that are not associated with any map and that cannot be used as they are now. If these are part of a map that you do want in there you need to define the map marker, put back the THINGS and LINEDEFS lumps, put them in the right order, and move the music lumps that are in-between somewhere else. If they're just leftover junk it might be safer to delete them, I think some ports will choke when they see random map lumps like this (might be why PrBoom can't run it)

- DECORATE errors are due to missing inventory icons for the keys. Since Doom doesn't have an inventory I don't think these can be seen, so probably not an issue (but if the icons did come with the Unmaker file and you removed them yourself, you might as well keep them there and get rid of the error)

- you have 2 problems with WALL_667. First, the texture and the patch have the same name (hence the error on startup). More importantly, there is no patch with this name in either tnt.wad or fordaisy.wad. If you try to use this in a map you will get a missing texture for sure

- the yellow key doesn't seem to be flagged on easy difficulty, so completing MAP01 on ITYTD and HNTR is impossible

As a result of the latter I didn't get very far, but I jumped ahead to test out some later maps and what I saw got me interested, as was already mentioned this is pretty good for a first effort, I'm personally a fan of 90s wads and don't understand how "1994 wad" became a pejorative. If you can iron out some of the kinks this will be a pretty solid entry!

-It's pretty embarassing that I forgot not to copy the backup pk3, you guys can just delete it and all.

-Yeah I know that, I remember trying to make the custom intermission following the zdoom wiki and realizing I didn't need it, I didn't think people would even notice the error so I just left it there, I didn't have much time that day anyway

-That's because I initially used Eureka for the WAD and it made some really weird files when I got SLADE3, I kept them in because I didn't want to fuck anything up and they didn't seem to cause any problems being there. Yeah I do need to sort the lumps out, but seeing that they don't cause problems (no, PrBoom isn't a problem, I wouldn't even run in it even if I sorted things out since the WAD uses DECORATE and all I know about PrBoom is that it doesn't support that kind of ZDoom features)

-DECORATE errors? I've never actually noticed that, first time I'm seeing this, and no, I didn't remove any icons myself, just adjusted some of the weapon's code to be a bit more OP like in the original game it comes from

-don't worry about that one, in MAP13 I originally wanted it to be a "shoot the wall until it explodes" fight but I actually managed to use DECORATE, took me a whole afternoon to solve it, I didn't remove the texture from the TEXTURES and PNAMES lumps because I literally looked at the list for half an hour and didn't find it, so I thought I had removed it myself and the game just still thought it was there, I'll look again tho

-seems like I was bound to have the same thing as teamtnt in pharaoh, if I manage to fix this missing texture problem among the others I'll make a fixed version or something

not bad at all for a first effort although like thelokk says, the effort of making 32 maps has a way of showing in the large amount of small maps with some half-baked combat and progression scenarios. The environmental storytelling shines in maps like #1 for instance. Maybe there are a larger proportion of larger maps, but I've only completed 5 so far.