Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caco Bell

Infernal Excavations - first finished map

Hey so here's my first finished map. Difficulty on UV is on par with Plutonia I guess. Difficulty levels are implemented.gfgfg.png.5845c93fc69504035bf610726756eb22.png

IWAD: Doom2

Tested on: GZDoom, Eternity, DSDA (couldn't get it to work on Chocolate Doom :( this whole sourceport thing is still occult knowledge to me)

Credits to Doomkid for the midi!

Infernal.Excavations.rar

I opened your WAD file to see why it faild to load on Choco, what I found is that you've duplicated the original textures from the DOOM2 IWAD (that are copyrighted material and should not be duplicated at all).

I'm not an expert on how to add custom textures into vanilla maps (other than dumb-replacing the existing ones), but what I can say is that you don't need to duplicate the textures from the IWAD to continue using them. They can still be used when you create a newer texture table, but you need to reference them in the new table. Other doomers may be more helpful in the technical aspect.

Cheers!

EDIT: there's another issue that precludes the map to run on Chocolate: the map is not UDMF but is encoded in ZDoom format, in fact the Slade's map editor has to be setup to ZDoom mode to open the map. To make it vanilla-compatible would need a lot of work (and the perfect conversion could be not possible, depending on the line/thing/sector specials you've used). I'd suggest to completely abandon the idea to make it vanilla, convert the map to UDMF, and use more modern means to define the map parameters and new textures.

Edited by ARMCoder

Nice challenging map! This one definitely worth trying to UV-Max / UV-Speed,

thus I'd recommend fixing monster closets, because I was only able to get 105/110 kills, even after finding the secret.

In particular, with idclip, I saw some unlowered columns with chaingunners, also an archvile closet.

Played in GZDoom.

Hi!

nice map. Vid will be up soon. Nice visuals and arena combat, especially for a first map.

But there are a couple of (weird) bugs:

- There's an Archvile and a Chaingunner outside the map, and a lamp
- The chaingunner teleport closet in the North East doesn't open, the chaingunners can't teleport out. Also, the teleport line itself doesn't have a tag, and I didn't see any teleport destinations so I have no idea where they are supposed to teleport or when
- In the west room, there is a chaingunner stuck in a pillar with no way to get out
- In the north room, there are shotgun shells in an unreachable area. The area is tagged with a sector tag 3, but there seem to be no actions connected to that sector or tag number
- There is a an empty square sector on the east of the spawn. It doesn't seem to have any function. s

The map can't run on Chocolate cause it's not a vanilla map (Doom in Doom 2 format) but a ZDoom / UDMF file (I think). At the very least, you have wall textures set as floor textures, and that's something you can't do on Chocolate.

hope this helps! It's normal to have a few bugs on your first map (if not every map), so asking playtesters for help is adviced!

Man, I tried it in HMP. The first room gave me the material proof of something that I somehow already knew... I suck at this game!

Cheers!

I'm super happy that you found enjoyment in the map even with its quite obvious flaws. This map was made after I lost a map I had been working on for two months and the attitude was "let's make something quickly and publish it even if it's crap so I can finally get some feedback". That sweaty mindset is obviously reflected in the map's feel :). I definitely wasn't trying to make a hard map; it just kind of came together that way after I couldn't resist adding one Arch-Vile after another and then I overcorrected by adding TONS of ammo and a plasma gun at the start that most people do not even notice they picked up... Yeah it's a mess!

If I ever make a longer wad, I'm definitely reworking this map to include such changes as:

- locking the mini-dungeon behind a keyed door (that's a big one! I will admit that the SSG lift was the first thing I made in this map, but then I started to add TONS of crap in the initial arena and didn't really think about how much it would screw over the people who run immediately to the SSG (i.e. any sane Doom player)),

- fixing the lift switch in the mini-dungeon,

- completely revamping the techbase portion,

- maybe chilling tf out with the vines.

@ARMCoder Thanks for the technical advice! I really hope that ID Software won't be knocking on my door any minute now... Your post also made me think about difficulty settings, because admittedly the differences between UV and HMP are really negligible AND some of the initial difficulty was not completely intentional ;).

Tried out your map and edited the map number to 10 since map slots 1-9 were already entered from prior maps. I enjoyed playing through it even if I'm unorthodox about it.

Only had a few minutes this morning for it, and I didn't finish it because of the difficulty. Good job though. Almost seems a touch overwhelming at first, but you know what you want and execute it really well! ALthough I dunno how you ran this on DSDA Doom when it uses Hexen format (as other people in this thread have mentioned). Just seemed curious to me.

Hey great first map!  I like the plutonia vibes and the difficulty was a bit spicier than expected but it wasn't too long of a map anyway so not too bad beating it saveless, and it was a fun little challenge.  That first room is actually sneaky hard since stuff starts walking in from both ends through obscuring vines, lol that's a nice trap.  I personally didn't notice any glitches or anything, sounds like some of that was stuff outside the map or issues with monster triggering, but without opening it in an editor I didn't really notice anything.  Great job and looking forward to more from you!

Thanks for all the feedback, if I had known this one would be so well received, I would have spent more time making it better.

Just to clarify: this is the first *finished* map, there had been a year of aborted attempts prior to this :)