Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
osminee

Making a transparent breakable glass in vanilla

Question

Hey there,

I am currently making a limit removing vanilla Doom II WAD and I wanted to have a breakable wall. However I wanted to have a transparent texture on the wall. So when the wall isn't shot, it blocks the player from passing through, but when I shoot it it changes it's texture (or presumably instantly lowers to the floor so the other linedef with a "broken" texture is visible) and you can pass through. Is it possible in vanilla?

5 answers to this question

Auger;Zenith (DBP 37) is a vanilla project with a lot of shootable/breakable glass you can reference which does more or less exactly what you describe - "instantly lowers to the floor so the other linedef with a "broken" texture is visible".

1 minute ago, Doomy__Doom said:

Auger;Zenith (DBP 37) is a vanilla project with a lot of shootable/breakable glass you can reference which does more or less exactly what you describe - "instantly lowers to the floor so the other linedef with a "broken" texture is visible".

Thanks, I'll definitely check that.

I think it's possible. I'm doing something similar to that, but in reverse. In a map I'm making, I have a small sector, and inside it, I have a line which has a transparent texture on it. The front line of the sector is tagged with action 24 - G1 - Floor raise to lowest ceiling. That small sector is joined with a dummy sector, and adjacent to that is a sector where the floor and ceiling are both 128 units lower than the floor.

The result is that when the texture gets shot, it disappears.

The way I'm doing it, the sector in question is behind a window too small for the player to enter, and the sector's floor is no different than that of the rest of the room. What you'd want to do is to create a second small sector, but set the floor to be at the ceiling, and tie it to a dummy sector where the lowest adjacent ceiling's max height is set to the floor height of the room.

To make that sector transparent, set all the lines facing inwards, and make sure the lower texture is missing. Look up self-referencing sectors for more details.

If it's limit removing, it isn't vanilla. You're making a limit removed Doom 2 map.