Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

Doom III: An alternate-history title graphic replacement for Doom 64 for Doom II

This whole "should Doom 64 have it's own category/is Doom 64 the real Doom 3" poll and discussion got me thinking: what if Doom 64 ended up being the Doom III that never was? With one of the largest selections of mods and custom content in gaming, of course someone in the Doom community would have already made this, that being the amazing Doom 64 for Doom II. It pretty much is a proper Doom III to round out the idtech1 trilogy while still feeling like a part of it. It pretty much is Doom III just with a different title pic and menu graphic. So then I just made them into Doom III.

Alternate History

In this alternate universe, Doom 64 was just a fancied-up port of Playstation Doom to the Nintendo 64 and an actual Doom III was developed by Midway while id Software was busy with Quake II (which is an actual sequel to the first game because in this timeline Tim Willits was fired from id instead of Romero leaving). Some of Doom III's level designs were recycled from an early test build for Midway's N64 port which they'd proposed to id after Final Doom and Quake were released. 

TITLEPIC_FIXED.png.95b6f4d43cf6e449803636d79eb4c4cf.png

M_DOOM.png.4dc0db206c6ee08901339684a379002d.png

Oh, and I also made a widescreen TITLEPIC as well, based on @Terraformer9x's D64D2 widescreen graphics.

TITLEPIC_WS.png.b0c847a7358ec2e7ded22c22e42a8e57.png

18 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

It pretty much is Doom III

Nope that’ll be the inevitable Doom 3 for Doom 2.

If i needed to make a III for this hypothetical Doom 3 (Hypothetical because Doom 3 is 3) i would use the same type of numbers from the box art.qDcqj1ti4%2BtNFprGM=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=

Doom III without new monsters or weapons does not seem right though... because if in your alt reality Romero is still on board Final Doom must have been released by this time, which is roughly that - third tech 1 Doom game, no new monsters or weapons.

Love the titlepic.

21 hours ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

Doom III without new monsters or weapons does not seem right though... because if in your alt reality Romero is still on board Final Doom must have been released by this time, which is roughly that - third tech 1 Doom game, no new monsters or weapons.

I would imagine in this alt universe final doom could exist so when midway (or raven) worked on doom III id still had an amount of extra revenue

there Might have even been an ultimate doom2 and doom 1.9 wouldn't be the final version (there is no way id could work on it because of quake)

12 hours ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

Love the titlepic.

I mean D64D2 (that being the Doom III in this alt universe) does implement it's own iteration of the mother demon and nightmare imps, plus the introduction of the nightmare cacodemon. It just lacks the Unmaker.

On 6/26/2022 at 9:34 PM, D4NUK1 said:

If i needed to make a III for this hypothetical Doom 3 (Hypothetical because Doom 3 is 3) i would use the same type of numbers from the box art.qDcqj1ti4%2BtNFprGM=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=

Perhaps, but I imagined it more as being more in line with id's established art style since it would be acting as the third installment in a proper trilogy.

I think it would be better/more faithful if the titlepic was based on the unused cover art:
image.png.9d2ac88f2c9e51cc32a7cbbd1c013b32.png
So it can look like the Doom 1 and 2 title graphics where Doomguy is in an intense situation against the demons.

1 hour ago, Hitboi said:

I think it would be better/more faithful if the titlepic was based on the unused cover art:
image.png.9d2ac88f2c9e51cc32a7cbbd1c013b32.png
So it can look like the Doom 1 and 2 title graphics where Doomguy is in an intense situation against the demons.

That's actually a pretty cool idea, do we have a picture of this art without the logos and stuff on it?

15 hours ago, OpenRift said:

That's actually a pretty cool idea, do we have a picture of this art without the logos and stuff on it?

I couldn't find any alternative version of this without additional stuff, not even on Fraggle's Doom cover art collection. I tried googling "no text", "no logo" and "unfiltered", but I didn't get any relevant results other than the unused cover with the additional stuff.