Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shawnofthedead28

Scripted enemies showing on the enemy count

Is there a way to make the enemies who I have teleporting in from scripts show on the count before they spawn in?  So right now for example you start the level and it shows the enemy count at 52.  There's actually 75 enemies in the map, if you spawn them all in, including some that spawn in inside a secret.  I'd like the whole enemy count to show at the start.  And yes, I know I can do this with teleport rooms instead of using scripts and things but I've honestly never been good at those.  For some reason I can't get them to spawn in consistently so I've resorted to scripts so that they for sure spawn in where I want them and when.  I just don't like the fact that you can 1. not truly see the real enemy count from the start and 2. can technically 100% the level (on the intermission screen) without truly getting all monsters.

I'm using Ultimate Doom Builder UDMF 

Appreciate the help.   

Not automatically, for the simple reason that the game has no way of knowing what scripts will necessarily run or not. Or you could have two mutually exclusive scripts that spawn different numbers of enemies depending on the player's actions: there'd be no way for the monster counter to know what to display.

However, there might be ways you could build a workaround. Firstly you could place the monsters in the level in advance, but rather than using an old-school teleport closet use something like Thing_Move or Teleport_Group in a script to get them into position, which will afford you much more control.

Alternatively if you insist on spawning in enemies during the level, you could do something like create a custom inactive Thing with "+COUNTKILL" that acts as a "dummy" for the number of enemies. Place however many in your map as enemies you plan to spawn in, and then remove them one by one for every monster you spawn. 

Or, finally, just accept the kill count isn't accurate. Add some jeopardy to the level!

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

Or, finally, just accept the kill count isn't accurate. Add some jeopardy to the level!

I have a feeling this will be what I have to do.  All of my scripts are running in places the player has to go, outside of the one I have right now in a secret area.  But I guess if you're 100% hunting you'll find the secret and find the additional kills.  I appreciate the other suggestions.  We'll see how this all turns out as I continue to build the megawad.  

I now this is an old thread, but I have this same question, and am curious if theres anything that can be done? Should I just ignore the issue? Does anyone really care if the count isn't correct? 

2 hours ago, kdoom said:

but I have this same question, and am curious if theres anything that can be done?

Read @Bauul's reply in this thread, it has probably your best options on what can be done about it.

This is an issue that the mapper has to solve, it cannot be "fixed" by the source port, because there is no way for the game to predict on its own what scripts might end up spawning over the course of the level.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:29 AM, Bauul said:

9 hours ago, kdoom said:

I know this is an old thread, but I have this same question, and am curious if theres anything that can be done? Should I just ignore the issue? Does anyone really care if the count isn't correct? 

I likey Bauul's final solution; "add jeopardy". I have the opposite issue ~ monsters spawned from weapons who

become allies to the shooter but get added to the "to-kill-yet" count so, impossible to 100% the map. I made the

executive decision that I don't give a shit and if the player is upset by this, they're playing for the wrong reason.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:03 AM, shawnofthedead28 said:

And yes, I know I can do this with teleport rooms instead of using scripts and things but I've honestly never been good at those.  For some reason I can't get them to spawn in consistently

Since teleport closets would solve this issue, it couldn't hurt to learn how to do them properly. Teleport closets aren't hard. There are some tutorials and tips you can find on the forum.

Tips I can offer are:

• Make sure that there's enough space behind the teleport line to allow the center of the monster to pass through.
  • Use diagonal lines in a wave pattern instead of perpendicular ones.
  • Have multiple teleport lines - some facing the "wrong way", two layers or so will do.
  • Put a second set of teleport lines on the opposite end of the closet to catch enemies who run into ones in front and head the opposite way.