Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

Is Doomworld secured for the future ?

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

I have such a love-hate relationship with Discord. Having an "IRC like" where I can also send files and do voice/video chat is great, it's like IRC, Teamspeak, Skype and YouSendIt all rolled into one.. but the Classic Doom community has no less than 40 discords and everything is split among all of them, and conversation on discord is very much temporary unless someone actively logs it.

Maybe it's some weird data hoarder preservationist thing, but I make a lot of posts on DW and hardly use Discord because I don't like going through the effort to type/link/etc a bunch of shit, all for it to potentially go up in smoke without notice.

Hell, Discord is a completely closed-off service, you don't "own" the servers you make and it's all beholden to some faceless, no-accountability overlords. At least with IRC and Teamspeak, you 100% owned that server, as much as a person legally can own a server on the internet, anyway.

No sir, I don't like it. (But it IS useful at times...)

I get you. Youtube and other big name social media sites are the same way. There's a culture of ephemerality, where it's all about the now. Anything older than 2 hours ago isn't worth your time. Something that's there today might just get taken down tomorrow on some dubious copyright strike, or might be so far down search results nobody ever sees it again...unless you said something people in the future will find contemptible, in which case kiss your career goodbye.

11 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Maybe it's some weird data hoarder preservationist thing, but I make a lot of posts on DW and hardly use Discord because I don't like going through the effort to type/link/etc a bunch of shit, all for it to potentially go up in smoke without notice.

Discord is better for actual organization or simple socialization, but when it comes to discussions or elaborate threads, it's not the best tool due to the way it works as a live-chat. It's just not meant for it and can't really replace a forum.

11 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Hell, Discord is a completely closed-off service, you don't "own" the servers you make and it's all beholden to some faceless, no-accountability overlords. At least with IRC and Teamspeak, you 100% owned that server, as much as a person legally can own a server on the internet, anyway.

I remember there was a huge backlash some time ago because Discord wanted to integrate NFTs and crypto currencies, which also caused some concerns regarding privacy and so on. So yeah, even if you ''have'' a server, it's ultimately under the control of Discord and you can lose/gain features at the swing of a decision by a CEO.

I like it just to have a laugh with the pals, ask questions about editing and share funny things, but when I want to share something more important, elaborated or just have a deeper discussion, I go to the forums.

Discord is great just for having non-shit voice chat. I still have Teamspeak/Ventrilo/Skype PTSD from my CS Source days...

10 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I was gonna "split" the OP and go over several points individually, after skimming over it, but the bottom line is that the OP is eloquent bullshitting at the best of times, and unsubstantiated concern-trolling at the worst of times...

You're not owed any information with regards to what staff members are actually doing - not to mention that said information would need to be written and published. So you want people, who are already working for free, to do even more work, just so you can sleep at night... Would you like a massage with your daily staff-activity-report..?

Dude, W&M has been split - quite literally - to make it look less "active", and for a lot of people it's summer time. I'm sorry not everybody is sweating in front of their PC to make more maps and mods so you got some hot shit to write about, but it turns out being outside and absorbing sunlight to get that sweet sweet serotonin going is pretty nice... Studies have also shown that a long-term lack of serotonin can lead to depression and anxiety...

You say he's not owed an explanation, but I don't see him demanding one either. He's not being hardly as dramatic as you are here. The rest of your response amounts to "touch grass", a common reply by people (usually online forum members who make thousands of posts, ironically) who would rather resort to personal insults instead of engaging in a debate. In fact, the majority of your reply is nothing but an uninformative cluster of personal insults, and the thread could have gotten by fine without it. I agree with everybody else that there is no need for this kind of response. Perhaps you need some more serotonin yourself.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

At least with IRC and Teamspeak, you 100% owned that server

Hypothetically yes, but very rarely if ever did people actually host their own IRC server and instead everything was grouped into larger services like OFTC (and need we get into the Doom communities history of problems with the OFTC operators). They were cumbersome to setup efficiently and the technology was so outdated that it relied on third party bots to even get name and channel registration as a standard. There's a very good reason why IRC died, and it's frankly astonishing it lasted as long as it did.

You're right of course Edward, but I have to think a technically-minded person such as yourself still sees the problems with Discord both as ubiquitous as it is, and as "closed-off" as it is (closed source, no one owns their own servers, arbitrary rules by out-of-sight overlords, etc..)

I've seen you complain about ZDaemon being closed source no less than 527 times, though maybe my count is a bit off. So I'd be stunned if you didn't view Discord with the same level of scrutiny! Maybe it's just because I've known some of them for years and years, but I'd trust the ZDaemon guys over the Discord guys any day of the week.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

No sir, I don't like it. (But it IS useful at times...)

40 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

You're right of course Edward, but I have to think a technically-minded person such as yourself still sees the problems with Discord both as ubiquitous as it is, and as "closed-off" as it is (closed source, no one owns their own servers, arbitrary rules by out-of-sight overlords, etc..)

I've seen you complain about ZDaemon being closed source no less than 527 times, though maybe my count is a bit off. So I'd be stunned if you didn't view Discord with the same level of scrutiny! Maybe it's just because I've known some of them for years and years, but I'd trust the ZDaemon guys over the Discord guys any day of the week.

You won't see me praising Discord's closed source nature, I'd think it would be far better if it had an open API. What changes however is accountability, especially once you involve money. Discord have put a lot on their shoulders so heads would absolutely roll if they did anything objectively nefarious. ZDaemon lacks that, and we have an unfortunate history of closed source Doom ports sneaking in backdoors to take control of whatever they please (csDoom's being notably very poorly implemented and thus exploited), and at least one DDOS botnet, however nobody ever becomes accountable for that.

I've tried Discord. It's ok for what it is but I just prefer old school dedicated forums. To me it's never been bettered.

I've used Discord and still use it, but I prefer sticking to forums, forums are way different.

On 6/28/2022 at 4:09 AM, notgeo said:

Some Doomworld veterans aren't here, because their passwords and emails were changed with no way to recover them. Starting a new account gets some mods to warn them "you already have an account, so I'm banning your new account." Then, after a few tries, you just give up and move on, until this thread appears in your phone feed.

Edit: Ling is still using the avatar I made for his birthday <3

oh, shit, i was wondering where tf you had went! it's great to see that you're still here :D