Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
QuaketallicA

Anyone else annoyed by the back button not going back?

EDIT: Okay, I don't know what was happening earlier, but now it seems to work fine. Although I have seen a similar thing before on other websites. And no, I don't have any adware or malware or whatever. Windows 10's default antivirus is very good, and I have Norton 360 additionally. Forget ads, I don't even get ads on webpages or videos thanks to a combination of Brave browser, uBlock origin, & DuckDuckGo. When I do see something like this happen, it's not an unrelated redirect but all the same page. For e.g., when you hold the back button in browser, the list of previous sites is 1+ of the same page I'm already on. I probably didn't describe this clearly. Although it's not happening for me either right now, so I don't know what was going on earlier. 

EDIT 2: Okay, I was able to reproduce it. Check out this link. https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/129707-this-one-part-in-arc-complex-is-unforgettable/ When I hit the back button here, it does not work. If you hold it, you can see the immediately previous page is the same page. I suspect this has something to do with the embedded Youtube video.

This isn't really related to Doom but to the Doomworld forum/website. Every time I click a link, for some reason the way it's coded means if I want to go back I have to hold the back button, and the last page I was on is actually like 6 clicks ago according to the browser. So that means every time you look at a thread, scroll down to see a new post, etc. it's loading all sorts of stuff in the background? Not a web designer so I don't know the technical details, but the net result is that pressing back never actually does anything. Kinda sucks. Any chance of that changing? Probably unlikely since it looks like Doomworld just uses one of those pre-made template websites.

Edited by QuaketallicA

Is this a recent thing or have you been tolerating it for a while? Are you only experiencing this phenomenon on DW and not on any other website? It sounds more like your browser is having a case of the brain-farts than anything else.

You sound like you have a lot of spyware or some kind of messed up computer

I concur with Biodegradable, this is something I've had happen with certain websites that do shit like have multiple page offsets, load way too much junk, or have a ton of redirects. Never had this problem on Doomworld.

This usually occurs when there is something additionally loaded with the website that either forces the underlying site to a page refresh, or something else.

In short - Get a blocker of some kind and clean your PC.

Yeah, something's going on on your end. I have no problems going back a page on Doomworld either.

2 hours ago, xX_Lol6_Xx said:

Doomworld has a back button? I never noticed lol

I think he just means the default "back" button that comes with web browsers, but I can confirm that Doomworld runs fine both on Firefox for PC and Chrome for mobile, so I have to assume there's some spyware or trackers or something that have got a hold of his browser.

@QuaketallicA I hate to break this to you, but you  have atleast 1 adware or malicious virus on your pc, most likely more. You don't happen to select "custom" on every installation of your programs, do you? Also, don't install everything.
Sadly, right now, the best course of actions are 
1) Getting a virus scanner like windows defender to scan the computer and try finding any and all potential malware, including adwares and spywares. Let the defender move them. The virus scanner will remove them automatically, if it is legitimate. If it wants money before removing, it's spyware.

2) Delete the cache and cookies from your browser, delete absolutely all browsing data.(time range needs to be "All time" or something similar.). Hopefully this fixes adware. Then try the scan again. You most likely have more viruses, but clearing the browsing data should fix the multiple back button issue. If it does not work, check below.

3) google your symptoms on another device. Unfortunately if your data is his infected, that the virus scanner can't remove them safely, you have to consider loss of data as inevitable possibility. If windows defender, or any other free virus scanners find nothing or want payment for removal, you want to scan your files on web 1 by 1 in virus total. You may find the culprit without data loss, but it will take crapton of time. If critical system files show infection, you need to nuke the pc by doing either a factory reset from the control panel (windows 8+) or reinstall your operating system completely. 

Clean virustotal link is here: (Your cookies are most likely infected): https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload

4) if you can't clear the virus or if you are short of time to scan the system 1 by 1, send either the computer for cleaning and ask for data recovery on top of it. Or if you don't care about the data, nuke the pc yourself (Format and Full windows reinstall)

5) if on windows 8+ the issue is not fixed after the factory reset from system restoration tools, you need to send the device for repairs.

To avoid this in the future: Use virtual machines to browse scetchy websites, this includes anything that says "free" on their website. most of the time, those are full of adware and spyware, and they can bust through adblock. Use virtual machines to download any programs that are not from official retailer sites.

Edited by IcarusOfDaggers

On 6/28/2022 at 10:42 PM, Doomkid said:

I think he just means the default "back" button that comes with web browsers, but I can confirm that Doomworld runs fine both on Firefox for PC and Chrome for mobile, so I have to assume there's some spyware or trackers or something that have got a hold of his browser.

Using Firefox and can confirm the back button works!

37 minutes ago, Kinsie said:

Works 100% fine for me. Video Evidence

That video is faker than the lunar landing. You can take that ridiculous attempt at a coverup and shove it up the dark side of your moon, along with all the space Nazis!

That being said, yes I tried the link on my phone, using Chrome. The page loaded, I pressed the back button, and it took me right back to this page.

On 6/28/2022 at 10:01 AM, QuaketallicA said:

I have Norton 360

Really wouldn't doubt it if that's your problem, or related to it. Norton's products have improved, but they're still garbage and prone to causing a number of issues. If you have common sense and don't do anything stupid, Windows AV is good enough. Install Malwarebytes for backup/emergencies and drop Norton.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

Switch to a different antivirus and then give your rig a scrub, QuaketallicA. It very much sounds like a system issue than a website issue. Something fuck-y is going on and it's not DW's doing!

2 hours ago, QuaketallicA said:

There's no adware or malware on my PC. 

I have reproducible proof. Check out this link to a Doomworld page. https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/129707-this-one-part-in-arc-complex-is-unforgettable/

I have no issues getting back to this thread. Even moreso, even after overloading my computer and internet, it still takes one back button press

Browsers tested on: Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Opera, and Firefox. Works on all 4. 

So yhea, your reproducible proof is no proof at all to us on the other side of your computer screen. 

From what you were describing:

I can only think of 2 types of issues: hardware or software.
Since you have not reported any other issues involving mouse clicks, except for the back button on browser, it really seems like an invisible, badly blocked ad or invisible pop up is blocking the back button.  That indicates, in all seriousness, a software issue. 
The reason i suggested using virustotal, is because if the machine is infected, some malware will be able to neutralize the antiviruses you have on infected computer. Also, I do not reccomend using norton, I highly discourage it. Windows defender is good enough, malware bytes can be used, but I always run virustotal on web, if windows defender can't pick up anything, even known PUP's. 

TL;DR: Problem is in somewhere your system, as indicated by multiple people in this post.

Edited by IcarusOfDaggers

What browser are you on? Might be worth trying another one and see if the problem reproduces itself.

There's definitely nothing the issue with Doomworld itself. Back always works fine for me.

Sometimes the back button will actually be trying to do something like re-running the last piece of Javascript if you clicked some button or something.

Solution: Right-click the back button. It'll provide a list of stuff to jump back to in most browsers.

On 6/28/2022 at 4:01 PM, QuaketallicA said:

EDIT: Okay, I don't know what was ....

Security Advices:

Are you using a Administrator Account while using the System for your everyday Stuff?

If yes, create a normal one without these Previleges.

You should only use one Antivirus Software, as having two could cause that actually they start blocking them self.

Do you use Software to "enhance" or "clean" your PC?

Delete it, it often messes up your Registry and it causes the PC to act strange.

I am talking especially about CCleaner and Tune Up.

Maybe some Addon on your browser behaves strange.

Try to deactivate them all and test if pressing back works.

If yes, turn one by one on again while testing it after every Addon.

Edit:

I know that issue when i use Search Engines and the linked webpage sends me further.

Than i also have that Page listed double.

When i press back, it naturally sends you to the Page that sends you further again.

But i never seen this on Pages directly, as in Doomworld.

Next time something like this happens, try disabling your browser extensions to see if any of them are causing issues. Firefox has a "troubleshoot mode" that disables extensions and some other features, but I'm not sure about other browsers.

On 6/30/2022 at 1:33 AM, IcarusOfDaggers said:

windows defender

Come on man, since when that AV detects anything?

16 hours ago, QuaketallicA said:

There's no adware or malware on my PC. 

How do you know that?

Unless you're on a Linux distro which has waaaay less Viruses than a Windows OS

9 hours ago, The Doommer said:

Come on man, since when that AV detects anything?

How do you know that?

Unless you're on a Linux distro which has waaaay less Viruses than a Windows OS

Since they started actually working on it since the launch of windows 10. That antivitus detects everything and is quite aggressive. A bit too aggressive for my taste.

1 minute ago, IcarusOfDaggers said:

That antivitus detects everything and is quite aggressive. A bit too aggressive for my taste.

Does it have a good real time protection?

It just doesn't make sense cause if it is that good then paid AVs are gonna be useless soon

20 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

Does it have a good real time protection?

It just doesn't make sense cause if it is that good then paid AVs are gonna be useless soon

Paid AV's can't be compared to free ones. And they are already borderline scam in my opinion. They offer the same defence that common sense and little knowledge of basic internet security offers. It is good enough, but it is not the best. But despite that Mental outlaw has multiple pen testing videos. There is a security vulnerbility shown on another channel, that hasn't been patched yet

Here's someone saying that Windows defender is actually good now, despite it not being their main point of video:

Spoiler

Here's someone saying  agreeing that it does it's job now: 

Spoiler

Here is a controversial opinion on antiviruses in general

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, IcarusOfDaggers said:

They offer the same defence that common sense and little knowledge of basic internet security offers. It is good enough, but it is not the best.

Tbf you're always at risk on injecting an infected USB from someone else

I get that avoiding shady websites is gonna be fine for 90% of the time

Those stuff happen too tho unfortunately 

1 minute ago, The Doommer said:

Tbf you're always at risk on injecting an infected USB from someone else

I get that avoiding shady websites is gonna be fine for 90% of the time

Those stuff happen too tho unfortunately 

I actually visit shady websites quite a bit, considering our TV provider has banned half the channels thanks to Putins invasion. And so far, i've only had to nuke the PC once in it's 5 year existence.  Despite using free VPN from time to time. You'd be surprised how much some baltic countries government starts censoring to show itself as anti-russia.

Also, for home use, you should not be at risk of someone injecting an infected USB from someone else. Different story if you bring your laptop everywhere.  Then even a public wifi will do, for that matter. 
There is also backing up your data. If we want to go there, a lot can be done on common sense level to avoid malware in the first place. 

Even then, the defender opinion is widely more varied now, and most of them are on the "it should detect" side. That's why i also reccomended using virustotal on individual files, if windows defender doesn't detect anything. hopefully using virustotal, you can catch the culprit not within the system files, but somewhere in the downloads/temporary folder, cookies or music folders, 3 of the most common sources for malware with the issues he is describing.  Hoping to god he does not have to nuke the pc. Once malware is in system files, you're fucked. 
Malware does target very specific areas of the system, exploiting mostly user's action vulnerbilities instead of the actual OS vulnerbilities. 

2 minutes ago, IcarusOfDaggers said:

Also, for home use, you should not be at risk of someone injecting an infected USB from someone else.

This was more of an issue for me back when I was a highschool student having to transfer files between my own laptop to school computers.

These days tho I don't really keep my data on the PC so it can be removed/locked out easily

3 minutes ago, IcarusOfDaggers said:

Then even a public wifi will do, for that matter. 

That is very true, however I usually avoid public Wi-fi as far as I can

5 minutes ago, IcarusOfDaggers said:

I actually visit shady websites quite a bit, considering our TV provider has banned half the channels thanks to Putins invasion. And so far, i've only had to nuke the PC once in it's 5 year existence.

You kinda have gotten lucky

A lot of viruses come from those shady websites, especially the "Download this paid app for free" ones

15 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

This was more of an issue for me back when I was a highschool student having to transfer files between my own laptop to school computers.

These days tho I don't really keep my data on the PC so it can be removed/locked out easily

I used cd's for that. Back in the day I used either Avast or AVG on my files computer, so I only needed it to detect an infected cd and eject it. both of them sandboxed the autorun every time it tried to run and was infected, which seemed to be the main entrypoint for windows. 

That is very true, however I usually avoid public Wi-fi as far as I can

I keep the devices I use public wifi on seperate from those I don't use public wifi on.  Even with SmartID, you are still vulnerable if you enter a pin code in an infected system. 

You kinda have gotten lucky

A lot of viruses come from those shady websites, especially the "Download this paid app for free" ones

Actually no. 
I use a combination of following:

1) Site skimming: i always skim the webpage adresses in search results. if it's advertised, i don't click it. That's high risk of being hijacked by scammers.
If the website ends with shady extension I'm unaware of, i don't click it. Common sense....thing about common sense is that it's not so common as we would like to think.

2)Windows Defender and UAC. Damn how many doomworld programs and doom sourceports got cockblocked by combination of those 2. 

3)You really should not run everything as administrator, especially if you pirate software. (I don't say I do that, but we all know someone who used to use pirated software and then suddenly got his whole system locked down or something stolen.

4)Burner sims. I actually use prepaid sim cards for most of my activities on the phone, with my phone call sim only being used for calls on a different phone that is practically ancient nowadays (think buttons and at most a snake game.). 
5)And again, common sense. Even when paying for products online, i use different card for the gaming related purchases, online purchases and offline purchases. I don't buy that much online, since real life gives me all I need. don't need to order something from far away most of the time. Bicycle, pool filter and large quantity of geotextile being an exception

6) a bit of luck has helped. all the malware i've gotten so far have not been either zerodays, or purposely unpatched backdoors

20 minutes ago, IcarusOfDaggers said:

shady extension I'm unaware of

Can they end in something other than .html, .php, .onion and maybe .asp?

UAC

I always disable it tbvh, it's just always annoying to see it pop up each time I'm running something

AVG

I once heard it was some sort of a data stealer.

Then again, only heard

Just on a side note, I barely use Windows these days

Only reason is either the online classes and gaming since they're way easier on Windows than a Linux atm

Edited by The Doommer

6 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

Can they end in something other than .html, .php, .onion and maybe .asp?

I always disable it tbvh, it's just always annoying to see it pop up each time I'm running something

I once heard it was some sort of a data stealer.

Then again, only heard

I don't use Tor. I mean the .com/org/net/ee/lv/lt/ru etc, but that's not the only place I look. the web address itself usually is something along the lines of "microsofttechsupport.org" which is 100% a scam link. (correct link being https://support.microsoft.com/ContactUs)

As for AVG, it no longer is usable. AVG, Kaspersky and Avast are all considered compromised, selling your data, especially trafic data to advertisers, just like google and facebook do. facebook is especially sneaky, having it's cookie on almost every website.