Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
HERRGOTT

Doom textures color problem

I'm trying these following textures be blue... but always when I reduce contrats of itself becames grey, and if is more stronger is very strong blue... what I want is be equal or alike how are they in these images.

Are in BMP format 4 bits (Here I had should upload them as PNG)

I saw this idea of this blue walls in a quake map time ago.

WALL_B1.png

WALL_B2.png

WALL_B3.png

WALL_B4.png

I guess you didn't correctly hit the palette that Doom has?

Doom only has 256 colors, and SLADE when converted from other formats tries to approximate, not always successfully.

If you want to recolor a texture, SLADE has color remap feature that might help transform one array of colors into the other, to various degrees of success.

The problem with the TEKGREN textures is that they are actually largely made using the gray range. They use two tiny desaturated green ranges and that's enough to give the impression the whole texture is green, in a manner similar to dithering.

If you go look at the PLAYPAL here:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/File:Doompal.png

The colors used for the panels come from three subranges: most pixels come from 153-159, second most from 101-107 (those are gray), and third place are those from 9-11. The bright green range 112-127 (used by Doomguy's armor, notably) is not used at all for those panels.

But Doom's palette doesn't have blues with that kind of desaturation. Doom's blue ranges are fully saturated. So here's an example of what you could obtain; I used this translation in SLADE:

"153:159=196:202", "101:107=197:203", "9:11=204:206"

g6SuX8G.png

Kind of an eyesore to be honest, but it does sorta work? Note that this is TEKGREN2. For TEKGREN1, these translations will also mess up the inset tech panel. For TEKGREN3, you'll probably need to translate the blue triangles to another color just to keep some contrast. For TEKGREN4, you'll probably need to extend the translation ranges due to the use of darker colors to simulate shadows from the pipes. So, further work needed anyway.

I have not used GIMP in a while. But you can use gimps screen feature (load the texture, then create new layer in screen mode) and color the new layer over with paintprush and colors you want until it achieved the color you need, then export as png. (or save as png). 

Back up the picture into a .zip archive, then open slade and try to convert it into doom pallete. You may need to readjust colors, since gimp has bigger color range than doom

I'm not sure how it is done now, last time I used gimp was when i was a child.