Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

Doom RPG Port Reverse Engineering Update (version 0.2.2) Source Code Release

Finally! I was waiting for this for quite a while.

Don't forget, either you or your brother promised releasing all the assets after release, I've been waiting for years and I'm still interested lol

Jokes aside, great job, seriously. I can't imagine the amount of work it took to get to this point.

This is awesome, looking forward to playing this,  haven't played it since my old flip phone back when it came out

I like this so far! There a way to make the window bigger?

Edited by kaine23

12 hours ago, Quasar said:

Will you be releasing the source? I'd definitely be keen on comparing my own reverse engineering notes.

Official Nightdive re-release when? ;)

On 6/29/2022 at 9:11 AM, Erick194 said:

Hope you enjoy it, best regards.

First read it as "best retards". I take it as a compliment. ;)

Great job! Thank you very much!

Are you planning on a linux version? After some trial and error I got this running on Steam Deck using Proton 6.3-8 (great to have a portable version again!) but it would be much easier for the community if there was a native linux version. Seems to be based on SDL2 so should port rather easily no?

@Erick194 This is wonderful news! If I can contribute any code from my early OpenGL and VR implementation, then please let me know. I'm sorry I have been on a long hiatus, but life got in the way.

Genial trabajo!
Jamás había probado Doom RPG pero gracias a tu port pude experimentarlo y terminé finalizandolo en una sola tarde con kills y secretos al 100%
Lo unico es que cada vez que uno cambia la resolucion, hay que reiniciar el juego. Y si tuviera una opcion para ponerlo en ventana maximizada desde el menu del juego estaria bueno. Pero mas allá de eso, excelente port!

Hahahaaaa, awesome! Might sound unbelievable, but I still have my very old - AND working! - Nokia phone in a near perfect condition (don't know how that little buddy is still so very alive and kicking after all these years!), and I have both Doom RPG and Doom II RPG on it! I completed them very long ago, and I had nostalgia moods lately thinking about playing them again, but I think, thanks to this post, I'll play on a bigger screen rather than fiddling with the original tiny java games resolution and tiny buttons. Makes me very happy :)

I'll try it out as soon as I can, I foresee a lot of fun!

The port is working very good, and I really thank you for that.

Unfortunately, after finishing the first level, getting into the different keycard zones, finishing the first sector in yellow zone and about to start the second sector of it, the game crashes. And, since it has already been saved, I can't do anything but start a new game.

I don't know if this issue will repeat in my new run, but I thought it was important to let you know.

Cheers.

Forgive my ignorance, but is there a possibility of there being an ARM build of this anytime soon, or is it possible to do somehow now? This is great on PC already, but I would love to put it on my oDroid to play on the go!

3 hours ago, raptordev said:

Forgive my ignorance, but is there a possibility of there being an ARM build of this anytime soon, or is it possible to do somehow now? This is great on PC already, but I would love to put it on my oDroid to play on the go!

Assuming that it was reverse-engineered from BREW version, which itself was a 32-bit ARM native app... if he either publishes source code or builds one, that's technically possible :)

But there is an obvious issue - touch controls would need to be implemented.

28 minutes ago, usernameak said:

Assuming that it was reverse-engineered from BREW version, which itself was a 32-bit ARM native app... if he either publishes source code or builds one, that's technically possible :)

But there is an obvious issue - touch controls would need to be implemented.

I might need to be more specific, I wanna play it on my oDroid Go Super. No touch controls needed :)

I did come across something saying that BREW apps are ARM architecture already; there is an Android BREW "emulator" called Melange. 

I wonder if BREW apps can run relatively easy on newer ARM chips. 

4 minutes ago, raptordev said:

I might need to be more specific, I wanna play it on my oDroid Go Super. No touch controls needed :)

I did come across something saying that BREW apps are ARM architecture already; there is an Android BREW "emulator" called Melange. 

I wonder if BREW apps can run relatively easy on newer ARM chips. 

> there is an Android BREW "emulator" called Melange. 

... written by me. And it's merely a port of BREW runtime to Android rather than a full-fledged emulator (and a pretty bad port, I would say)

In fact, it runs Doom RPG pretty smoothly (requiring a patched version of the game, because unpatched version ran without graphical glitches only on Motorola BREW phones due to some display driver quirks). With some bugs and no sound support (because I did not implement sound support; and the bugs like random crashes in Sector 5 are bugs of the game itself)

> I wonder if BREW apps can run relatively easy on newer ARM chips. 

They can. Though you're out of luck on 64-bit-only platforms like iOS/macOS on M1.

9 minutes ago, usernameak said:

> there is an Android BREW "emulator" called Melange. 

... written by me. And it's merely a port of BREW runtime to Android rather than a full-fledged emulator (and a pretty bad port, I would say)

In fact, it runs Doom RPG pretty smoothly (requiring a patched version of the game, because unpatched version ran without graphical glitches only on Motorola BREW phones due to some display driver quirks). With some bugs and no sound support (because I did not implement sound support; and the bugs like random crashes in Sector 5 are bugs of the game itself)

> I wonder if BREW apps can run relatively easy on newer ARM chips. 

They can. Though you're out of luck on 64-bit-only platforms like iOS/macOS on M1.

Oh nice! I installed Melange on my Android phone today and played a tad bit of Ratchet and Clank. It ran very well but yeah there were some graphical glitches in it and the no sound thing also.

How much effort do you think it would take to get sound going? I've always been pretty interested into porting and emulation but have never done any of that sort of coding before. 

59 minutes ago, raptordev said:

Oh nice! I installed Melange on my Android phone today and played a tad bit of Ratchet and Clank. It ran very well but yeah there were some graphical glitches in it and the no sound thing also.

How much effort do you think it would take to get sound going? I've always been pretty interested into porting and emulation but have never done any of that sort of coding before. 

> How much effort do you think it would take to get sound going?

BREW runtime provides no sound support at all, only API, it needs to be implemented from scratch. So it would take some time if I get to implement it.

Edited by usernameak

THIS IS AMAZING! The game that got me into DOOM is now on pc! Is there any way we could get the BREW versions of Orcs and Elves on here too? I don't have a nintendo ds.

3 hours ago, schiz0id said:

THIS IS AMAZING! The game that got me into DOOM is now on pc! Is there any way we could get the BREW versions of Orcs and Elves on here too? I don't have a nintendo ds.

But you can download an emulator (Desmume) and a rom of Orcs and Elves. The control is simple. You can use mouse for touch screen, even though, it's enough to use the keyboard alone (arrows and buttons on DS resemble a numeric keypad on the phone