Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

Volumetric icon of sin

you mean have it actually extrude from the wall? you could to a degree, just doing the outer edges can illusionate a whole bump mapped icon.

Slopes use flats, not textures. To effect the Icon of Sin with slopes, you'd have to import all the graphics into flats first.

Nanami said:

Slopes use flats, not textures. To effect the Icon of Sin with slopes, you'd have to import all the graphics into flats first.

But its still possible, it'll just be time consuming to do.

Yes, quite possible, but I can't see gaining anything from it. Personally, I make stairsteps that are about 2 units apart and then split them into three (one for each section (left, middle, right)), and then tilt the outer lines in a little, so it's as seamless as possible. It's much more seamless than the original Icon of Sin, but it still has two lines going across it (these disappear from a distance though).

Anyway, maybe you could describe what you meant when you said you wanted to add slopes to it?

Nanami said:

That'd be pretty easy with ZDoomGL, you could make the whole textures into one flat.

I thought they had to be square? IE 64x64, 128x128, 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024

The Icon is nine textures that are all 128 in height and 256 in length. That would be 786x384

Or does ZDoomGL allow for rectangular flats?

Nanami said:

The Icon is nine textures that are all 128 in height and 256 in length. That would be 786x384

Or does ZDoomGL allow for rectangular flats?

I'm not sure. But you could fill the "missing" space with black or something.

Nanami said:

Correct - because there is no dimensional info, code take the square root of the size.

You could fill with "black", but that's a pretty big area to fill. How about making it more than 1 flat per slope? A bit more work, but you get less dead space. Resize the image to 1024 x 512 and end up with only 2 sections of 512 x 512.

Zdoomgl..

Or you remodel the Romero head as the icon of sin, set the y offset off a bit so it sticks out of the wall rather than where the head sits..

Might look better just to seperate the different depth levels of the original texture into seperate textures with null color where the other layers would be, then put the lines in sequence one unit ahead of each other. Maybe you could even change the lighting for each sector and to make it appear to have more depth.

Ultraviolet said:

Stuff.

Hmmm, yeah, that would probably be more effective, and would be usable in more ports too.

Another possibility is to create a model of the face and stick it on the wall. I don't think ZDoom supports models though.

Now that I think about it, I must not be understanding the question. I mean, If you put on a nose, it's going to stick out right? But If it sticks out, wouldn't you have floor-ceiling-floor-ceiling? But zdoom doesn't really support true 3-d flooring, so how would this work?

A 3D Icon of Sin?

That has already been done by Thomas in map30 of the Community Chest Project. Just check out this screenshot... Judging from the rest of his work it doesn`t even require any extra source ports and/ or programming.
The down side is, we`ll have to wait untill the release of CC to play the map...

Nanami said:

eh? You dont have to use pure slopes, you can make the walls any angle, to accomodate any sloped floors; like in that screen shot, just wrap the textures around a shape like that, but put beveled edges where different textures align.

Its pretty simple.