Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

The DWIronman League dies to: Vigor!

July, 2022

unknown.png

The yearly leader board

Standard Leaderboard

1. [1] MAP10: akolai - What a return! Not just for you, but for the said enemy as well, of course. :^)
  2. [1] MAP10: Veinen - Denied a way back by a pixel of an imp's spike.
  3. [2] MAP07: Maribo - Attempts to dive into the pool to avoid getting shredded, but it was too shallow.
  4. [1] MAP07: Beginner - Was so committed to escaping their corpse continued pushing. Eventually it indeed escaped! ...
  5. [1] MAP06: Bdubzzz - Has to be the same AV duo that is killing people on MAP05. The synchronization was impeccable.
  6. [1] MAP06: ginc - Perfect coordination - irrefutable proof the revenants' AI is just built differently.
  7. [1] MAP05: Master Medi - Makes the AV busy by solving a noble problem; gets lulled into a false sense of security.
  8. [1] MAP05: Asbadagba - Both red and green deadly projectiles can only mean one thing - Christmas in July!
  9. [1] MAP05: Anima Zero - Provoking infighting backfires massively, yet Anima recovers everything... except their cool.
  10. [1] MAP05: BoxY - Insane air time from BoxY as a BoX descends from the ceiling with death impending.
  11. [2] MAP05: NaZa - One flame somehow yielded two very coordinated attackers. After a facerocket, a backblast felt like a relief.
  12. [1] MAP05: LadyMistDragon - One does not simply get to the yellow key.
  13. [2] MAP05: dt_ - Has the deathspot cleared bar a few imps. Not like they would ever pose a threat, though.
  14. [1] MAP05: Vince Vega - Another duplicated flame, another victim. Sneaks up on you, doesn't it?
  15. [1] MAP05: Ravendesk - Doesn't trust the bubbly fluids - for good reason. The fluid visibly has excellent scratch reach.
  16. [1] MAP04: head_cannon - Heartbreaking.
  17. [1] MAP03: mhrz - And the World's Widest Column Award goes to...!
  18. [1] MAP03: WorriedIdiot - Now THAT's what you call heat-seeking missiles! Never had a chance.
  19. [2] MAP02: Shepardus - Signed a death pact with the archvile the moment it came out. The chaingunner was just a pawn.
  20. [1] MAP02: Andromeda - "Oops."
  21. [1] MAP02: Suitepee - Blind killer, you say? The archvile thinks that title is quite flattering. :^)
  22. [1] MAP02: SCF - 25% is the chance for a homing missile, no? Definitely went up to 99.99% in the last 10 seconds here.
  23. [1] MAP02: KirieNatsuyuko - Gets caught on a chaingunner and joins the ever-growing bunch of corpses on MAP02.
  24. [1] MAP01: NoisyVelvet - Both the first map AND Noisy packed an equal punch - consequently, Noisy chose NOT to punch in the end.
  25. [2] MAP01: Endless - Oh my. Decided to waddle in slime instead of exiting. Turns out the slime was endless.
  26. [1] MAP01: Pegleg - Very diverse group of apostles hangs around a few barrels. Sadly, one of them is Judas reincarnated.
  27. [1] MAP01: DeathwingDuck - Rumour has it the berserk is still waiting to be picked up.
  28. [2] MAP01: Lazorical - The sound of machinery filled the air quickly - so did its green rays of light.
  29. [1] MAP01: Peccatum Mihzamiz - This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets a movable object.
  30. [2] MAP01: Pseudonaut - Goes on an adventure into the underground caverns and shouts "Eureka!" too soon.

Prepared Leaderboard

1. [#] MAP11: SCF - I guess that's why the revenants were screaming. 
  2. [#] MAP03: Pseudonaut - Fled from the scene. The fed caught up, though. With style.

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthly competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag at the bottom of the post for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

In July 2022 the DWIronman League dies to Vigor (-complevel 2) created by a team of mappers which, among others such as @Egg Boy, @T.Will and @ZeMystic, includes part-time Ironmen @Bobby "J and @Juza who might come back for a one-off (or hopefully more!). This vanilla-compatible WAD, released just around five months ago I believe, is a fairly nice showcase of modern gameplay; influenced by Scythe, it's very fast paced and not the easiest WAD ever. For vanilla, it definitely looks advanced, but don't be fooled when monsters start pulling up left, right and center! Expect vigorous gameplay from the onset and make peace with the fact you'll rarely be able to catch a breath! 

Essential Info

• Doom II: Hell on Earth. (doom2.wad)
  • Compatibility level 2, or "Doom (strict)" for ZDoom derivative ports.
  • 20 maps.
  • Time estimate: 1-2 hours (might get amended)

> Download Vigor

prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file vigor.wad -deh vigor.deh -complevel 2 -skill 4 -record demo_name.lmp -warp

Rules:

Spoiler

• There are two competitions: Standard and Prepared:

• To compete successfully in the Standard competition: your first play of the selected WAD(s) constitutes your one and only attempt for the month.

• To compete successfully in the Prepared competition: your one and only attempt for the month is determined BY YOU immediately before play and may follow any prior number of active (playing the set) preparation that is strictly for practice/inspection purposes only. You cannot compete in the Standard competition after submitting a run to the Prepared competition. You may submit the first of your practice attempts to the Standard competition.

• UV only (excepting 1CC format), continuous recording. No pistol-starting each level.
  • Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity or Chocolate), stream highlights and video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
  • No additional WADs may be loaded.
  • No inspection of the WAD(s)'s content in an editor if you are submitting a Standard run.
  • No cheat codes and no features that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set). This includes dynamic lights and brightmaps. If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatibility options, you must display these settings on-screen before your run. In ZDoom derivative ports, "Doom/Boom(strict)" will suffice.
  • If you choose to stream/record your run for video rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on the first map of a set OR because a single level was selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels than his/her competitors will rank higher than them.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details.
  • If the recording of your official run is interrupted due to technical difficulties, you are not permitted a second attempt. Any surviving recording may be used to register a DNF result.
  • Accidentally restarting a level before a death exit takes you to the tally screen will disqualify your run.
  • If you are competing in the Standard competition, you are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I cannot remember any details that would offer a reasonable advantage over truly blind players. *
  2. This is not a blind run. I have familiarity with the set - played the level/set before, or watched it being played, and can remember some details that would offer a reasonable advantage over blind players.
  3. This is not a blind run. I have passively prepared for the competition - watched the level/set being played via stream, demo or video after it was announced as this month's challenge.

* "Reasonable" in this instance asks you to consider whether the details in question are worth committing to memory. As in, you would thank the person who gave you this information with a straight face and not expect to be laughed at for being an utter berk.

Previous threads:

Hide contents

Spoiler

07 - Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)

08 - Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)

09 - Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)

10 - Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: WH-Wilou84)

11 - Perdition's Gate (winner: WH-Wilou84)

12 - UAC Ultra (winner: PjSpartacus)

Spoiler

01 - Jade Earth (winner: Demon of the Well)

02 - Legacy of Heroes (winner: Roofi)

03 - Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)

04 - Mapgame (winner: ClonedPickle)

05 - Vae Victus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)

06 - Disturbia (winner: Ancalagon)

07 - Insertion (winner: Veinen)

08 - Unholy Realms (winner: Demon of the Well)

09 - Osiris (winner: Demon of the Well)

10 - Endgame & Endpoint (winner: Veinen)

11 - Oscillation (winner: Ancalagon)

12 - Doom the Way id Did (winner: kmc)

Spoiler

01 - Combat Shock 2 (winner: Killer5)

02 - Coffee Break E1 (winner: Eris)

03 - Warlock's Hearth (winner: Demon of the Well)

04 - 50 Monsters (winner: WH-Wilou84)

05 - Double Impact (winner: RjY)

06 - Rush (winner: WH-Wilou84)

07 - The Darkening E1 & E2 (winner: Veinen)

08 - The Plutonia Experiment (winner: Zero-Master)

09 - Community Chest 4 - MAP20: Interstellar Sickness and MAP21: Shaman's Device (winner: leodoom85)

10 - Doom 64 for Doom II (winner: Roofi)

11 - TNT: Renascence & TNT: Resistance (winner: an_mutt)

12 - Ultimate Doom the Way id Did (winner: an_mutt)

Spoiler

01 - Hellfire: Dreams (winner: Beginner)

02 - THT: Threnody - MAP10: Fomalhaut (winner: Scotty)

03 - Stardate 20X6 (winner: WH-Wilou84)

04 - Base Ganymede: Complete (winner: Vince Vega)

05 - The DWIronman League died waiting for SIGIL (winner: John Romero)

06 - SIGIL (winner: leodoom85)

07 - Vanguard & Lunatic (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

08 - 2017 Collection (winner: an_mutt - prep winner: Vince Vega)

09 - Revolution! (winner: NaZa - prep winner: Pegleg)

10 - Monster Hunter Part I & Part II (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

11 - Abcess (winner: Demon of the Well - prep winner: Steve D?)

12 - Scythe (winner: Spectre01 - prep winner: Arbys550)

Spoiler

01 - Hellscape (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Archi)

02 - No Sleep for the Dead (winner: Ancalagon - prep winner: Anima Zero)

03 - Baker's Dozen (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

04 - Occult Secrets of the Third Reich & Biotech is Godzilla (winner: joe-ilya - prep winner: Horus)

05 - Bloody Rust (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: dt_)

06 - Vrack 1, 2 and 3 (winner: ReaperAA - prep winner: Bashe)

07 - Running Late 2 (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Pegleg)

08 - Epic (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Daerik)

09 - Hell Revealed (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Crusader No Regret)

10 - Dark Resolution 2008 (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Austinado)

11 - 2002: A Doom Odyssey: 10th Anniversary Edition Episode 3 (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

12 - Eviternity (winner: Daerik - prep winner: Pegleg)

Spoiler

01 - Sawdust (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Daerik)

02 - Alien Vendetta (winner: Demonologist - prep winner: Anima Zero)

03 - Criticality & Miasma (winner: Daerik - prep winner: Crusader No Regret)

04 - World Orifice (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Killer5)

05 - Violence (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: ScrappyMcDoogerton)

06 - Firebox (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: 4shockblast)

07 - Scythe 2 (winner: Arbys550 - prep winner: an_mutt)

08 - Resurgence (winner: Beginner - prep winner: Suitepee)

09 - The Eye (winner: galileo31dos01 - prep winner: an_mutt)

10 - Glaive & Glaive 2 (winner: Veinen - prep winner: Tezur0)

11 - Sunlust (winner: Daerik - prep winner: nobody)

12 - H2H-XMas (winner: Daerik - prep winner: 4shockblast)

Spoiler

01 - Realm of Shades (winner: mhrz - prep winner: Pegleg)

02 - Return to Hadron E1 (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: Maribo)

03 - Syringe (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: SCF)

04 - Jägermörder 1 and 2 (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Maribo)

05 - The Rebirth (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: NaZa)

06 - Man on the Moon (winner: Master Medi - prep winner: ginc)

Edited by NaZa : updated leaderboard

Before updating the yearly board, I'd like to point two things out:

1.   I think the submissions for last month should be kept open for the next 12 hours, so you're still able to get your run in if you haven't already

And, probably more notably...

2.   I'd like to point out the difference between a standard category 3 run and a prepared run. 

In Ironman from November 2017 until July 2019, there were three categories - blind, familiar and prepared. Category 3 was considered a prepared run regardless of whether it's watching someone or playing the level. These obviously are two different levels of preparation so category 3 was arguably broader than the current category 2 is.

In July 2019, @Alfonzo added the Prepared Leaderboard. This leaderboard encompassed primarily ACTIVELY PREPARED RUNS. (You can still submit a blind run for it, honestly, but... why?) This freed the third category on the standard leaderboard, and it was updated to include runs with PASSIVE preparation done to them. Why? Streamers like the Britbowlers watching each other and trolling each other. The terminology I decided to use from 2020 onward (active-passive) is a little iffy, but... here's it run down:

- Standard Category 3 run: You have watched demos, streams or videos of the WAD chosen for the monthly challenge AFTER it was announced, but you didn't play it.

- Prepared Leaderboard run: You have played the WAD chosen for the monthly challenge AFTER it was announced.

This isn't something I had made up; here's a link to Alfonzo's post explaining just that.

So, basically, if you gained intel on the WAD without playing it, you're still on the standard leaderboard. That's it. That's all there is to it and all there ever was to it. Suitepee's run last month would have been a category 3 (not 2!) but still end up on the standard leaderboard.

Thanks for listening to this. Anyway, this is probably the most difficult pick I have on my shortlist in case I'll need to jump in to host these later in the year, but I decided we should have one banger for a summer special. I hope you don't mind :^) Don't feel bad about passively gaining intel on the set and I hope I see you survive the maps divisible by 5!

Edited by NaZa : fixed category 3

Thanks for the clarification. I'd like to post some prepared runs, but as I am new to Ironman I wasn't sure about the difference between the two cases. Maybe I can submit a prepared run for this month.

DEAD: Map01

Category: 1 (Blind)

Kills: 47/51

Time of Death: 4:52

Port: Prboom-Plus 2.5.1.3 (complevel 2)

Demo: noisy_Vigor_ironman.zip

First map packs a punch.  Seemed fair though.  I lost my footing to the revenant at the end and didn't process how to manage the tight space fast enough.

Edited by NoisyVelvet : a -> the

Category 2, dead on MAP05 around halfway through it. Shame. Set was right up my alley gameplay-wise; even the trap I died to I really enjoyed its tricky schemes. Will definitely submit a run for the Prepared Leaderboard later this month, hopefully getting a bit further. My death is definitely the product of a beautiful self-rocket halfway through the map (200/100 --> 108/55?) from which I never fully recovered, though I had around 80 HP throughout the map (still, those 92 hitpoints could've made the difference). That was a proper GAD and an incredible moment.

Spoiler

MAP05 might be the first chokepoint but I don't think it's such a scary map. The atmosphere was scarier than the setups themselves tbh. With its 210 monsters it was quite an outlier compared to maps preceding and succeeding it, and it felt a bit out of place, but it was good. 

dwironman_jul22_naza.zip

12 hours ago, NaZa said:

Before updating the yearly board, I'd like to point two things out:

1.   I think the submissions for last month should be kept open for the next 12 hours, so you're still able to get your run in if you haven't already

Sorry for asking, but I think I have a pretty pitiful MOTM 2021 run I'd like to submit, but it'll be a few hours until I can do so (sending this from my phone, getting ready to go to work), if that's okay. If not then that's fine too, it's not very good and is mostly for the sake of completionism.

2 minutes ago, Maribo said:

Sorry for asking, but I think I have a pretty pitiful MOTM 2021 run I'd like to submit, but it'll be a few hours until I can do so (sending this from my phone, getting ready to go to work), if that's okay. If not then that's fine too, it's not very good and is mostly for the sake of completionism.

It's okay, don't worry, you can submit it. Typically runs that are submitted on the day after Ironman "formally" ends are always accepted; 12 hours was mostly a guideline because it was noon in CET.  

The levels should be maxed or this is not required (question for both Standard and Prepared categories)?
I was planning to play Vigor sometime soon, maybe this is a good occasion to do so.

1 minute ago, Ravendesk said:

The levels should be maxed or this is not required (question for both Standard and Prepared categories)?

Maxing is not required.

Category: 1 (Blind)

Dead on: Map 05

Kills: 60/210

Time: 27:00

Source port: dsda-doom-0.24.3 -complevel 2

Demo: dwi_vigor_jul22_ravendesk.zip

Spoiler

I was kinda confused as to where should I go next and died in a most stupid way imaginable xd

Category 2 due to playing it during a ZDaemon TNS session awhile back.

Of course, that helped me so little when I added my corpse among those that fell at map 5.  Door locking behind you + opening the door in front of you + seeing ANOTHER vile with limited cells & basically no rockets = Panic: The Game!

DWIronman_Vigor_AnimaZero.zip

Died to a threesome with twins ^.^

Category I, MAP05, 35:58 with 116/210 K and 1/1 S, that was such a burning desire man! Two Archies appeared from nowhere in the dark room and then screen just went red, I highly recommend.

I just bought a new ZSA Moonlander, so there are several moments when I mess up the keyboard controls (with no punishment from the game thankfully), hope it's okay :D

dvvigor.zip

DSDA-Doom v0.24.3cl2

Category: 2
Dead on: Map07 (dead at 43:11 // entered at 41:15)

Kills: 44/132

ironman_vigor_maribo.zip

Spoiler

It is incredibly apparent which maps I have good memory for, lol. More than half the time in this demo is spent carefully plodding through Map05.

I will probably return and do a prepared run, most likely an attempt at a d2all max since I want to do those for most of the squonker works.

Monthly and yearly leaderboard updated. @Maribo's lead so far this month might be exactly what they need to get back in front of @Beginner whose decent result last month leaped them into 2nd while @Bdubzzz still sovereignly leads. @Anima Zero jumped @dt_ to enter the Top 5 while @ginc profited from an unfortunate run by @Suitepee to enter the Top 10. @BoxY's result pushes them back more firmly into the Top 10 while @mhrz might have begun to close back into the Top 5. @Master Medi's victory last month propelled them a long way and, despite missing some events, they might continue being a factor in how this year unfolds with a fight everyone from 2nd to 7th being quite close to each other!

Category 2 (I played the first two maps around the time this wad was released, not that it helped me here)

Died on MAP02 (died at 6:40 with 37 kills, entered at 3:37)

Recorded with dsda-doom 0.24.2 (-complevel 2)

ironman_vigor_Shepardus.zip

Category: 01

Dead on Map 05

176/210 Killed

Spoiler

I should probably learn how to two-shot Cybers. But also, the manner they kept the YK from early access was just plain mean. Congratulations Juza, you beat me once again.

lmd_ironvigor.zip

..I'm doing an entry on the prepared leaderboard for this month.

I got afflicted with the 'rona and can't play that well. I tried, and even I am embarrassed to submit my blind foray into this level set. So once I'm all better, I'll submit myrun to the prepared leaderboard.

I feel like I have an ice pick lodged center mass in my skull and I can't remove it. Blergh... What a way for me to start July!

Incredible. Those barrels don't know what hit them. :^) 

Great runs, guys! I’m not surprised no one has made it to map10, but I’m certain not many would be able to get much further blind. Can’t wait to see the prepared runs.