Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gayzad

What was your first console?

And did you homebrew it to run Doom? The consoles that are shitty 500 in 1 handhelds don't count.

My first console was the Wii! Homebrewed it 5 days after getting it. And of course I played Doom and Wolfenstein 3D on it!

Console, the Super Nintendo.

Bought Doom a couple of Years ago, when the Prices where reasonable.

And Homebrew came with the SD2SNES also a couple of Years ago alongside MSU Chip Stuff.

Have Wolfenstein with a pretty good rock/metal Soundtrack on the Super Nintendo.

Binatone TV Master, basically Pong and similar games, bought by my parents for my brother and I in 1977 (I was 11 yo at the time). The "processor" was a  AY-3-8500, the old skool equivalent of that Doom on FPGA project; it was a dedicated logic circuit that could only play those games.

In fact, Doom on FPGA" is fascinating for implementing a modern (ish) game the old skool way! Plus, in those days the most advanced microprocessor was the recently-introduced 8086, the ancestor of today's Intel chips; essential a Intel Core i(-9) or Pentium(-5); yes you read that right, "core i minus nine" or "pentium minus five"!

So even if it had used a conventional microprocessor, there's no way in Hell (!) this thing could have run Doom!

pong.png

Edited by Martin Howe

The original DS.

I had (and still own) a flashcart for it that I used to play Very Legally Obtained™ games on, but never had the chance to install any homebrew onto it (I had no idea it was even a thing when I was younger). It was only back in 2020 when I installed some homebrew games to it, one of them being a PrBoom port, which ironically was my first forey into Doom.

The NES, God's Gift from the heavens in the crisis of the Video Game Crash of '83.

Famicom (japanese NES). In post-soviet countries, such ones were released under Dendy brand, but surprisingly, my console was an original Famicom and it could read only japanese cartridges, which wasn't a problem back then, even though, pirate cartridges were on local markets as well.

Sega Genesis, then Playstation 2 and PSP, the first three consoles I had.

7 hours ago, gayzad said:

And did you homebrew it to run Doom?

I didn't run Doom in any of the first consoles mentioned above, but the first console that I played Doom on was PS3, if rom emulation doesn't count.

PS1. So many great games on that system, though I remember Crash Bandicoot 2 the most fondly.

Never homebrewed any of the three consoles I own.

The DS, didn't know about homebrewing back then, but I did have some sort of cheat cartridge, can't really remember if it worked or not.

gba. only games i had were pokemon sapphire, return of the king and some ygo game i cant remember. still played other gba games trough alternative completly legal means

Technically, my first gaming console was a slim, blue, black and white Game Boy. My first conventional gaming console (y'know, the one you plug into the TV) was a Nintendo 64 when I was around 12-13 years old.

Xbox 360. Never got the chance to try out Doom on that. That one game with the virtual arcade that you can customize and plays Atari 2600 games was my personal favorite. I can't remember the name of it though...

Atari 2600. No, it actually ended its run like 4 years before I was born and my family was poor, but probably a little cheap as well. You know how it goes. But my first real console was an NES, though it'd already been supplanted by a Super NES at that point. We ended up skipping that and going to a 64 because my brother and I begged though.:) I can remember blowing NES cartridges since they had a tendency to seize up and freeze though. Those were some good times

It was either a Gameboy Color or the PS2, don't remember which one I got first but it's probably the Gameboy. Both consoles are sitting within ten feet of me right now, though sadly my childhood PS2 doesn't work anymore. I dropped my GBC in a toilet once and it still works. Haven't played Doom on either of them, my first foray into Doom was on an old Windows '98 PC running Doom '95, specifically with Final Doom. Didn't get Doom on a console until I bought the BFG Edition for PS3.

honestly it'd be one of those Famiclones, but I do not own one as a kid.

when I got a job many years later, my first owned console is a 3DS.

It had tennis and PONG on it; had paddles for controllers and flip switches for game selection and power.   Probably a knock-off.  This was '76 (late).   Next one was the Atari 2600

It was the Wii U, I don't get why people don't like the Wii U.

My first console was a SEGA console, however I don't remember what console it was exactly. It probably was SEGA Saturn, it was grey and had big buttons on left and right, but I feel like my console looked a bit different. I used to have a lot of pirate cartridges for it but my family had to get rid of them - and the console - because we had a domesticated rabbit at the time and it bit the wires so we couldn't use the console anymore. Thinking back to it, we could probably try to buy new wires or something or even buy another SEGA console, but... We didn't. Now that I'm talking about this, I start feeling a little bit sad because I can't reminisce about all those old games I had and there's a few games that I used to play but can't remember how those games were called.

59 minutes ago, Kuro_mahoh said:

First console was a PS2 and my first handheld was the GBA.

Exact same as me! :)

My first console was the Sega Master System with exactly 6 freaking games: Shinobi, Wonder Boy, Ghostbusters, Hang On, that game with the light gun that i don't recall the name now and Donald Duck:Lucky Dime Caper.

Before that there was the Snoopy game and watch, but i don't know if that can be considered as a console....