Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frost-Core

Taking a break from DOOM

Doom, doom & doom, i'm tired of doom! this is no offense to the community here, too much doom for me, also if i ever had to come back to it, i'd have to use a flippin phone because my keyboard randomly stopped working and it's hard to use an on-screen keyboard to play it, i've been turning more into a casual player, so i'll probably come back to shooters before going to DOOM, has anybody took a break like me too?

same, i've lost interest in the games about a year ago and moved to other communities, mostly half-life related

You're not the only one, I've taken many breaks before too. It's hard to keep enjoying something if you're being constantly exposed to it, your mind needs a breath of fresh air once in a while.

Yep, I’m on a break right now actually, giving myself time to try out others things and cleanse my palate. I still enjoy browsing doomworld and seeing what’s going on, I’m just a little tired of the standard doom gameplay 

8 minutes ago, Decay said:

These kinds of topics should be grounds for permanent banning.

Wouldn't quite go far that myself, but given the recently added guide on avoiding bad threads, there might be some benefit in a pinned list of "threads that have been asked too many times before and should not be asked again", of which this would be an example. People get bored of Doom, just as they get bored of anything, and unless you're going to pull up some neurology charts, there's probably not much else to say on the matter.

Keyboards can be found for dirt cheap. I don't see how anyone could have this sort of issue in this day and age, and yes that is totally a Family Matters reference.

I have taken breaks from gaming on and off since I was a young child usually due to real-life endeavors taking a larger priority (Ex. school, career, dating, even just good old fashioned burnout, and the list goes on and on), but what makes us different is I didn't tell anyone because nobody actually cares what I choose to do or not do with my free time. I'm not trying to insult you, but I have to agree with Decay at least on the grounds of posts like these being pointless. It is natural for everyone to take some time away from games for more reasons than one, but it seems rather pointless to make a public announcement that you're taking a break or departing from the forums. A status update makes more sense for situations like this.

Anything is bad when taken in a large quantity.

You should always prioritize your health, self being and self development first. 

Don't just focus on one thing but multiple things and its better to have multiple interests then obsessing over one thing only, wich is never that healthy on the long term.

Life is all about variety and balance. 

This is a perfect example of ''Things to say on DoomWorld that i should say in a status update instead''.

From the people who brought you ''Use the search function''.

12 hours ago, Frost-Core said:

has anybody took a break like me too?

No, nobody. You really are the first that is going to take a break from Doom. Every other member of Doomworld keeps on playing 24/7. How do you think these epic new megawads come to be that score Cacowards?

Not by having a daytime job, a family or any other hobbies, i can tell you that. Its Doomday, Every day.

20 minutes ago, Decay said:

These kinds of topics should be grounds for permanent banning. They are nothing more than attention whoring topics at best, and drama baiting at worst when, invariably, the OP returns in less than a week or, more likely, a day or two. If you really "need a break" then a ban or at least an account suspension would be a blessing. "Does anybody else need a break" asks someone, who has been around for a few months, to a forum with members who have been active for 10, 15, 20 years. If you need a break, just fuck off and go instead of posting this "WOE IS ME I NEED BREAK" shit.

... god this answer is what i needed. Thanks Decay.

And yes, agreed. Its on the same level of ''Does anyone else like seeing/hearing/talking?'' This isn't Oprah Winfrey.

People will only care about a break if said person actually made enough grounds in the community that other people would have a reaction if they left. OP, this may sound depressing, but you aren't that person. You are a member of DoomWorld, like practically everybody else out here.

8 minutes ago, Sena said:

Wouldn't quite go far that myself, but given the recently added guide on avoiding bad threads, there might be some benefit in a pinned list of "threads that have been asked too many times before and should not be asked again", of which this would be an example.

To counterquestion: Is it really needed? Would it be too much of a goalpost to wager on people's common sense instead?

I mean the depressing reality is that yeah we actually would need one of those, and that should be telling enough. I'd much rather keep valued/experienced members here who are here in the community to either improve their own worth or are here because they made a mark.

26 minutes ago, Decay said:

These kinds of topics should be grounds for permanent banning. They are nothing more than attention whoring topics at best, and drama baiting at worst when, invariably, the OP returns in less than a week or, more likely, a day or two. If you really "need a break" then a ban or at least an account suspension would be a blessing. "Does anybody else need a break" asks someone, who has been around for a few months, to a forum with members who have been active for 10, 15, 20 years. If you need a break, just fuck off and go instead of posting this "WOE IS ME I NEED BREAK" shit.

Agreed but I don't think they should be countered with a permanent ban in the face, a warning point from a moderator is enough, unless the OP makes multiple threads about taking a break (which sounds kinda unrealistic).

@Frost-Core You should've probably made a blog post on your profile instead of a thread.

Once my next project is released it is certainly time for me to take a good break from mapping. This does not mean I will quit from mapping and will still have the occasional standalone release and sometimes contribute to various community projects, etc. But with less mapping I need to focus more on musical projects and family as well plus keeping myself in good health. I will continue to play Doom for as long as I can and there are some megawads I have yet to completely play through such as Ancient Aliens, Lost Civilization, BTSX series, Eviternity etc. I also look forward to John Romero's next release.

This thread is the Doomworld equivalent of standing up in a bar to tell everyone that you're going to the restroom.

Why, just why bother even making this thread at all? Just take a break ffs.

Please don't go.
The drones need you.
They look up to you.

Awh man, now I'm getting all teary-eyed. I'll always remember your threads, my dear friend. That one time when you asked people to test out your distro "meant for advanced users" because you couldn't be bothered to test whether or not it even boots, that was great. What about the time when you asked how to edit the DOOM iwad to say FART instead of DOOM on the menu? Great stuff. And of course, the dozen or so times where you told people to make things for you because they live for DOOM 24/7 unlike you. I'm glad you chose to go out on a high note, even though you already admitted you aren't actually leaving.

yeah go ahead, although if you're not sure if you coming back to mapping, maybe just make a note in your profile. That's just better netiquette

3 hours ago, Decay said:

I am almost certain this was an official rule back when I joined Doomworld in the early 2000's. 

It was that or maybe you get a temporary 1 week ban and a custom title that was something like "GOODBYE! ...OH LOOK! I'M BACK!"