Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Disorder

Far Cry, better than Doom III?

Has anyone seen screenshots from Far Cry? I just have for the first time, although the game has been quite a while in progress now. It looks, dare I say it, on some screenshots a LOT better than Doom III. I haven't seen things in motion yet, so I don't know if the animation is smooth and slick, but by the looks of this game it is going to be a beautiful experience. This game can handle both indoor and outdoor environments really, really well.

So far I haven't been able to figure out what your goal is in the game because I've been to busy drooling. Normally, graphics aren't the most important thing for me in a game, but it looks like this is Far Cry's priority. Let's hope the gameplay is alright too. If you feel like drooling too, or if you feel like telling me that Doom III's engine is actually a lot better, then check out this link: http://www.3dactionplanet.com/features/firstlooks/farcry/

There are some newer, more impressive screenshots out there too.
They can be found right here: http://www.crytek.com/screenshots/index.php?sx=xisle&px=Untitled-22_copy.jpg

While there are some impressive outdoor levels it still does not look as good as Doom 3, from lighting and shadowing down to the detail level of weapons etc, doesn't look as good. Too cartoonish

It looks boring, probably because it looks so realistic you wouldn't expect to all of a sudden see any real game like events that just can't happen in real life. Just not my intrest I guess.

It certainly is more colorful, but the only thing I can see which might prove to be better than Doom3 is the plants engine.

Lüt said:

It certainly is more colorful, but the only thing I can see which might prove to be better than Doom3 is the plants engine.

Wait, does it actually have a plants engine?

Shaviro said:

Indoor game vs. Outdoor game... How can you even think of comparing?

Look further. It's quite simple, there are a lot of indoor areas in Far Cry too. They look absolutely beautiful in my opinion.

Ugh, that game looks ugly. More painted-on texture look. Unoriginality seeping from its pores. Unbearably predictible graphics upgrade. No real new or interesting features (that we know about).

AndrewB said:

Ugh, that game looks ugly. More painted-on texture look. Unoriginality seeping from its pores. Unbearably predictible graphics upgrade. No real new or interesting features (that we know about).

If that post wasn't automatically generated, I'll eat my hat.

Disorder said:

What?

He's one of the programmers behind the game.

AndrewB said:

Is there at least ONE GAME you ARE happy about?

nxn said:

Wait, does it actually have a plants engine?

Why, gonna model a weed garden? :P

999cop said:

Unreal 2 can beat Far Cry

Outdoor areas rating (maybe!?)

Far Cry
Unreal II
Doom III

Indoor areas rating

Doom III
Far Cry
Unreal II

I saw Far Cry in a gaming magazine a few weeks ago and I was blown away. I saw the name of the company then thought "Hmm, wasn't that the company Aardappel is in?" I think it looks awesome, I read that the AI is absolutely incredible too.

Far Cry:

Unreal 2:

Personally I think Unreal 2 has greater details for outdoor environments than Far Cry does judging by these screenshots. Actually, I've seen about Far Cry which has been posted on Telefragged months ago.

999cop said:

Far Cry:

Unreal 2:

Personally I think Unreal 2 has greater details for outdoor environments than Far Cry does judging by these screenshots. Actually, I've seen about Far Cry months ago which was posted on telefragged all along.

You didn't really pick a very nice screenshot to compare the 2 games, even if that thumbnail from Far Cry would've been a normal sized screenshot.

looks like a serious sam game. that game has nice outdorr areas as well as outdoor areas.

Tyockell said:

The screenshot makes me want to live there and be happy....

You too eh? I can see myself there enjoying life by drinking beer with beautiful women around me.

999cop said:

well?

Uh, can you actually swim in the sea and cross your way to the distant island? If not, it's just useless filler scenery.

Graphics should be interactive. Beauty that you can see but not touch is... well, shameful if in a computer game. If you can completely devour the world and thoroughly explore it and do thousands of different things, then it has a case to be made for a great game.

If it's just "Shoot through this level, stop to look at the pretty pictures, continue shooting until end of level, repeat." then the graphics are just a waste.