• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MundyC

MeenTC: I.M. Meen in GZDoom (v0.9)

4RbbeME.png
“Doom Junior... Good and good for you.”
- Electronic Entertainment Magazine

MeenTC is a standalone IWAD for GZDoom that recreates the gameplay of I.M. Meen, an edutainment FPS from 1995 by the infamous Russian-American game studio Animation Magic.

All 36 levels from the original have been remade; every enemy, boss, item, and decoration is here. However, some things have been tweaked and improved upon to make it a more enjoyable experience than the original. Various pieces of cut content have also been added back into the game, as well as some brand-new secret levels for the bravest bookworms out there.

Screenshots

Spoiler

4A3wP78.png

q1QmEnK.png

w48hbLI.png

zKPkPp8.png

K2qb4EN.png

KfkHEar.png

Download (v0.9)
NOTE: I advise using GZDoom v4.8.1 (the latest version) due to recent FMV cutscene developments.
In addition, this TC uses the Raven inventory system for items and secondary fire for melee weapon handedness, so be wary of that.

Changelog

Spoiler

Version 0.9 "The (Kinda, Sorta) Cutscene Update" - July 1st, 2022

• FMV cutscenes added for the intro and two of the final level's cutscenes.
  • Added support for two-player co-op.
  • New third-person sprites added for Scott and Katie.
  • Improved, more accurate system for the Magic Key.
  • Impassable decorations are now marked on the automap with a plus.
  • Various audiovisual and gameplay improvements.

Version 0.8.5 - November 25th, 2020

• Certain graphics now have proper widescreen support (title screen, magic melee weapons, etc.)
  • Tweaked decoration brightmaps and added all-new ones for items, enemies, and bosses.
  • Converted audio to high-quality OGG files to reduce filesize.
  • All-new LOADING and ENDOOM lumps have been added.
  • Cutscene subtitles now change color depending on who's talking.

Version 0.8 - May 3rd, 2020

• Added Levels 19 to 36 (Catacombs 3 to Library 4), completing the game.
  • Added the last two secret levels (Levels 39 and 40).
  • Added dynamic lights for walls, decorations, items, and so on.
  • Added brightmaps for walls and decorations.
  • Split the highest difficulty into two separate ones - PL4 and PL5.
  • Added Meen's player defeat and Level 36 taunts.
  • Added the battle music, but only for boss battles.

Version 0.4 - February 10th, 2020

• Added Levels 10 to 18 (Sewer 2 to Catacombs 2).
  • Added the first two secret levels (Levels 37 and 38).
  • Fixed several map errors and inaccuracies.
  • Added some cut content back into the game.
  • Meen's timed level taunts have been added.

Version 0.2 - January 7th, 2020

• Initial release. Contains the first nine levels (Tower 1 to Sewer 1).

Questions

• Do I need the Doom/Doom II WAD to play this?

Nope. As long as you have GZDoom, you can select it in the game file menu and play it without any issues. If you don't have any other IWADs, MeenTC will automatically boot up.

• Can I play this TC with my favorite gameplay mod?

You can try, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you really want your Doomguy/character to rely on magic wands and melee weapons for 99% of the game.

• Are the cutscenes present?

Mostly! The intro and two final level cutscenes play in full, but the rest of them only have their audio play in-game. Once GZDoom adds support for cutscenes that play in the middle of a level, this will change.

• How about the scroll editing screens?

Sadly, no. I could try to hack something together with the Strife dialogue system, but it would take an ungodly amount of time and be very unwieldy.

• How do I get Gnorris to go away?

Punch him in the face. No, seriously, it'll make him disappear.

• What difficulty should I play on?

I advise Play Level 3, as it's the hardest level from the original game. If you're curious, PL4 replaces certain monsters with their next tier (so the Tower spiders now have two HP, Dungeon spiders have three, and so on), while PL5 is basically PL4 with fast monsters.

• Is this TC tied to the recent CD-i Zelda fan remakes?

While I did help in the development of both games, MeenTC was a completely separate project from the CD-i remakes, with (basically) no ties to it.

• Are you going to make a TC for Chill Manor?

Probably not. There isn't a proper graphics ripping program for Chill Manor like there is for Meen, so I can only rip sprites/textures without any transparency. I tried to get some of the transparent graphics through editing game screenshots, but it took way too long and are inaccurate in one way or another. Who knows, maybe it'll happen in the future?

• Something broke! Can you fix it, please?

I'll see what I can do, but I don't think there are any bugs in the TC that require a brand new patch.

Credits

• Me: Created pretty much everything in the TC.
  • The Unhappy Orchestra: Made the I.M. Meen theme MIDI that plays in the main menu.
  • Animation Magic and Simon & Schuster: Made the original game and assets.

Wow. I never even heard of this game and along comes a full port of it to GZD. Rock on wonderful person. 

Hey there, this looked like a weird funny thing but I can't figure out how to play it.  I do have GZDoom 4.7.1 because I haven't felt like upgrading it and dealing with inevitable changes or issues.  But when I try to launch it I get this fatal error:

Script error, "MEENTC.iwad:ZMAPINFO" line 41:
Expected '=' but got '{' instead.

This is when I either try to launch MEENTC.iwad alone, or do that along with MEENTCCUT.pk3.  Loading it with a regular doom iwad just runs doom, and I don't know if it's possible to run without an iwad, doesn't seem to let me.  Not sure if this is on my end or there's an issue, let me know thanks!

On 7/7/2022 at 4:39 PM, sandwedge said:

Hey there, this looked like a weird funny thing but I can't figure out how to play it.  I do have GZDoom 4.7.1 because I haven't felt like upgrading it and dealing with inevitable changes or issues.  But when I try to launch it I get this fatal error:

Script error, "MEENTC.iwad:ZMAPINFO" line 41:
Expected '=' but got '{' instead.

This is when I either try to launch MEENTC.iwad alone, or do that along with MEENTCCUT.pk3.  Loading it with a regular doom iwad just runs doom, and I don't know if it's possible to run without an iwad, doesn't seem to let me.  Not sure if this is on my end or there's an issue, let me know thanks!

You'll have to update to GZDoom 4.8.x (or download it and put it in a separate folder). The line it's referring to defines the intro FMV cutscene's parameters, which was added in the aforementioned GZDoom version.

I honestly had no idea that the cutscene system would make earlier GZDoom versions bomb out on startup. Oh well

7 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Amazing. Is this the same as the Im Meen TC, just renamed?

I love new games. Great stuff.

Indeed it is, but there hasn't been a rename; I just refer to the WAD as MeenTC and I.M. Meen TC interchangeably.

Hello MundyC,

I finally get to start and try out that remake game you made.

However, I'm having trouble to start playing the game for the first time. Sorry for being a noob here.

Note I downloaded 0.9 version, GZDoom is not the 4.8.1 version I use, I go with the latest as given, 4.10.0

I managed to figure out my inventory, but the main problem is how to transfer my weapons into the Meen head as the main hand to shoot? Currently I'm stuck to my punches. (There's no Youtube video to study, yet alone a single gameplay other than the regular versions) As I used to play both the older Meen & Chill Manor in their default gameplay, mouse settings are what I've been used to.

Though I'm sadden that after a guardian is dead / attacking you, the Guardian music is not triggered.

The lighting of course to me doesn't make me feel comfortable when it's on Dark or Doom setting. I kept it Bright at all times. Sorry, as much as I love Meen-like games, but horror in general tend to trigger my nerves.

Hope to play it again. PS, the remake is nice, I hope one day we could talk about a possible remaster or spiritual successor to both games that could be recreated in the Unreal Engine with most of the things restored. I'll PM you for more details & explanation after you send me a reply to this post. Thank you very much.

Edited by Arrowghost

@MundyC

I've been following the creation of the Remake of "I. M. Meen" on GZDOOM for a long time, but I'm only concerned that the development stopped at Version 0.9.

I want to ask MundyC: "Will the Project be finalized or is Version 0.9 the Final Version?"

32 minutes ago, Blacklight said:

I've been following the creation of the Remake of "I. M. Meen" on GZDOOM for a long time, but I'm only concerned that the development stopped at Version 0.9.

I want to ask MundyC: "Will the Project be finalized or is Version 0.9 the Final Version?"

MeenTC v1.0 will happen when GZDoom gains the ability to play cutscenes in a level (as opposed to startup/between levels). From there, I'll add the rest of the cutscenes as well as some features I haven't gotten around to doing (battle music, working compass, etc)

On 8/29/2023 at 4:44 AM, MundyC said:

MeenTC v1.0 will happen when GZDoom gains the ability to play cutscenes in a level (as opposed to startup/between levels). From there, I'll add the rest of the cutscenes as well as some features I haven't gotten around to doing (battle music, working compass, etc)

Wow, hello, didn't expect a reply.

And I thought the project is dead since there hasn't been any updates like ever.

But also there's no guide on how to equip my first Fire Wand, sorry for being a noob, but I gave up on how to put the wand at the Meen head slots. Still no Youtube gameplay video for it. How to do it? Please and thank you.

Screenshot_IMMeenTC_20231008_140810.png

Edited by Arrowghost : Screenshot attached as proof

Very interesting game. This was a royal pain in the butt to figure out how to set up lol. For those wondering how to get it to work just simply drop the 2 game files into your gzdoom folder and start it up. As for the "weapons" you only have fists and use items instead so bind an item use key to fire them off.

Wow, thanks for the gameplay video, however, this is the same like I went through before I stop playing, because there are other players managed to equip their weapons into the 2 Meen Head slots, in this way, you'll fire your weapons from there without using the Hand that could accidentally fire or misuse a health item.

It's nice to watch Level 1 again. Hopefully MundyC can tell us on how to equip into the Meen heads. Think about it, you can use Magic Mallet on one head, and the other is a Fire Wand. That's what I recall played by other people.

My proof on those pictures are from https://gamejolt.com/games/im_meen_tc/465498

Weapon Equip 1.PNG

1021698343_WeaponEquip2.PNG.55c945313eb8ef3050d3d2a3ccc81505.PNG

Edited by Arrowghost