Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Submerge

Obscure FPS game!

What is the most obscure FPS you've ever played or heard of? For me, it's Ken's Labyrinth. Some dork named ken tries to save his dog. blasting enemies with huge jelly blobs.

Uhh this one FPS where everything is black and white and made of paper. Even the enemies were 2-D...It sucked anyway...

Submerge said:

Some dork named ken tries to save his dog. blasting enemies with huge jelly blobs.

SOME DORK???

This is Ken Silverman you're talking about here!

Epyo said:

Uhh this one FPS where everything is black and white and made of paper. Even the enemies were 2-D...It sucked anyway...

I was thinking the same thing, but I don't remember the title either. That game gave me nightmares. If you've ever seen A-ha's Take on me video.. Well, imagine seeing that in a first person shooter. It looks completely surreal.

Epyo said:

That was BAD TOYS I think, yeah it sucked like hell.

heheh, bad toys, I remember that, I played it, when I still had a 486

There was this one FPS I remember playing once where your ammo was stuff like sticks of deodorant and bars of soap and the bad guys were really cartoony. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Radix. It was actually rather cool. The only real problem was that the enemy sprites sucked so horribly.

You are piloting a small craft around different off-world bases invaded by mysterious aliens.

It had an engine that looked much like Doom, albeit with (zdoom style) slopes. The textures were below Doom's standard, but not utterly crap (for it's age).

The level design was decent with a clear inspiration from Doom. They also included some kind of scripted events.

I'd have to say Chasm: The Rift. I loved that game, though, because it looked better than quake and required considerably less processor power as well. Unfortunately, the level design and the actual gameplay weren't quite as good.

Vulg@r said:

I'd have to say Chasm: The Rift. I loved that game, though, because it looked better than quake and required considerably less processor power as well. Unfortunately, the level design and the actual gameplay weren't quite as good.

Oh man, I remember you now. I got an email from you back on April 28, 2000 about a comment I made regarding that game :P

I liked the game for the most part: it seemed to be lacking the vertical aspect, and due to a corrupt savegame bug I never progressed beyond Level 5, but it was a good start. I'll get through the whole thing one of these days.

Blake Stone, Body Count, Nightmare 3-D, Catacomb 3-D

Thats all I can think of, from what hasn't been mentioned. There was another game I remember now though that took place underground in some caverns. It was very dark and I think some of the guys had flamethrowers. You had to rescue prisoners too. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called.

Lüt said:

Oh man, I remember you now. I got an email from you back on April 28, 2000 about a comment I made regarding that game :P

I liked the game for the most part: it seemed to be lacking the vertical aspect, and due to a corrupt savegame bug I never progressed beyond Level 5, but it was a good start. I'll get through the whole thing one of these days.

Heh. I vaguely remember that e-mail, but yeah, good memory. :) I never had much of a problem with saves. And I since I wanted to do some editing with that game, I level jumped to see some of the stuff. The last episode is rather akin to Unreal in some ways. I also liked the medieval episode because it reminded me of Heretic, somewhat. Either way, I couldn't argue since I got it off E-Bay for $10.

noas 3d ark. for the snes. basically, your noah, and you run around shooting food at animals, with a slingshot, until they went to sleep. they would prance around you so much you would lose lofe. either prance around or beg you to death.

Are you thinking of Pencil Whipped? That was kinda cool I guess. The guy did write the whole thing by himself if I'm not mistaken

Edited by Scuba Steve

Biffy said:

Redneck Rampage came and went awfully quick, didn't it?

I was going to post and say that game, but I didn't..

I am not really a gamer, so I don't really know games like most of you guys do..

Ken Silveman... I don't even know him and he ruined my childhood. Back when my father tried to get me to do programming... He'd say "look at this 14 year old kid who made his own game" I'd try to show him the doom Modification's. Had I only listened... Dad was right, Art is a waste of time.

kain said:

noas 3d ark. for the snes. basically, your noah, and you run around shooting food at animals, with a slingshot, until they went to sleep. they would prance around you so much you would lose lofe. either prance around or beg you to death.

Yeah, I remember reading an article about that. It used the Wolf3D engine, and you needed to piggyback another SNES cart on top to defeat the lockout. And the bosses were bigger and more 'restless' animals, or so the article said.

Ken's 3d Anus: that game was anus! i mean done by himself it was alright, but come one he could have givin it a plot. maybe he smoked too much dope while programing it. also a game i remember was cyclones, similar to doo but u used a sight to move around makeing u slower. however i remember it haveing room over room and jumping.

also omikron the nomad soul had a FPS part of the game. it sucked balls for a few reasons.
1. engine was made as a third person and it was even shity at that in a number of places.
2. movement was slow and restricted. it was 3d but you could only look up and down like in duke3d and such. that made some baddies hard to hit.
3. bugs cause funky movements and errors
4. guns sucked, slow, weak and lame.

other bad games.
noah's 3d ark, more like noahs 3d acid trip. it sucked
vilent death of men, bad game from some other country. horrid translations and even worse graphics. never more than an alpha.
redneck rampage and deerhunter 3d. both sucked i hated them

kain said:

Yeah, I remember that game. They didn't even bother to change the Wolf3D maps. Just a quick-and-messy gfx/sfx swap, and they didn't pay Nintendo, id, or Activision a dime. The only bogus game to come out for the SNES.

Alientank said:

I'd say ET for Atari was just fucked. I didn't know what to do and the story line made no sense.

What? That's not a first-person shooter! The most obscure one I've played is Powerslave. It's not stupid, I liked the game alot.

Bloodshot, MEGA DRIVE!!

Yes, a Mega Drive FPS. I guarentee you nothing is more obscure.

SlayeR said:

Anyone remember those Terminator FPS'es? Future Shock, Skynet etc.

Oh yeah! They ran rather bad on my PC at the time and I remember I hated the demos because they required you to use the mouse for aiming:)

Even before those they had Terminator: Rampage... Yet another Wolf3D clone, and quite a bad one at that.

There were a lot of bad BUILD games that didn't get all that much attention; Witchhaven, TekWar, etc.

Lets see... How about In Pursuit of Greed? REALLY bad game.

A good one was supposedly CyberMage: Darklight Awakening (made by Origin), but I never played it.

I vaguely remember playing this one game, what was it called? Doom or something? Oh yeah, Doom, where you were this marine who was stranded on a Martian moon base because your superiors were all idiots and got killed by demons or some idiocy. Anyway, you gotta fight your way through this base, then you go to another base that sorta looks like Hell and like a base. Oh man, this game sucks like a Chinese whore. Then, to add to your anguish, you gotta go through Hell. OH WOW WHAT AN ORIGINAL IDEA!!!! LET'S GO TO HELL IN A VERY LITERAL SENSE!!! How many games used that idea??? Uh, I'll tell you later....
Anyway, just steer clear off that awful friggin' Doom game. Ugh.